Assistant Coach Search: What Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Conley played with Fat Gasol when he was good. His career is definitely winding down, but good to see him on a good squad with a chance to compete. Hope he stays healthy the rest of the way.

2. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Fat Gasol. LOLOL. That just made me laugh.

ROFL.

sirronstuff likes this.
  3. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

And THIS is why so many of us don’t really like him.
    Sure, he’s an all time great, but it’s his passive/aggressive B.S. smoke signals he sends out to get what he wants, or to protect his “brand” that have been annoying, ever since LeDecision.
    I’m sorry, but a real man doesn’t hide behind his mouth pieces and he always accepts the consequences of his failed decisions.

Cookie likes this.
  4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Hey Rich: We aren’t as dumb as you think we are. Some of us are actually quite intelligent- even much smarter than you think you are. Go sell this garbage elsewhere because we ain’t buying!!!

Cookie and sirronstuff like this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I don't think Lebron really cares who they hire, if it's not Lue. He's going to do whatever he wants regardless. TBH, I don't think James values " coaching " as much as it's being made out. He's won with plenty of different guys. At this point of his career, he probably feels like he knows more about the game, than any coach out there. He's probably right too.

Dude is on his last run, I can understand the nostalgia pull, Lue and Kyrie were part of his last run of dominance in the League. It would be cool, to go out with familiar people, from his personal peak.

He tried to get Lue and Kyrie, it didn't happen, I still think that we are going to get, all of whatever he has left in the tank. He should be juiced to go out, with an opportunity to play with his son though.

That might not happen either, but he plans on going out on his shield, like a GOAT IMO. That man's legacy is set already, he doesn't need to be coy about anything. Folks are going to say, or feel however they want to, about him anyway.

He can't be faulted, for wanting more talent on his last roster either. Another chip is still the ultimate curtain call.

I believe this coaching hire is more about AD, which is rather puzzling to me, if JJ Redick is truly our 1st choice

6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I agree. AD would want someone like Borrego and not JJ

ElginTheGreat and Slick2021 like this.
  7. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

The Los Angeles Lakers have begun interviewing candidates for their next coach, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The Lakers have held formal meetings with JJ Redick, New Orleans Pelicans associate head coach James Borrego and Boston C Bags assistant coach Sam Cassell over the past several days, according to those sources
    Leaguewide, Redick — a former player and media analyst — has garnered buzz for the position. The Lakers are infatuated with Redick’s potential, according to league sources, viewing him as a Pat Riley-like coaching prospect who could both help the franchise in the short term and lead it for years.

While Redick and Lakers star LeBron James co-host the podcast Mind The Game, James has made it known that he is staying out of the team’s coaching search.

As The Athletic previously reported, the franchise views the next coach as more of a hire for Anthony Davis, who is 31, than James, who will turn 40 in December. Multiple sources briefed on the matter say one person who has become a respected unofficial resource for the Lakers during the process is legendary Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, whose deep knowledge for candidates, such as Redick and others, provides a lens into the culture the organization wants and the characteristics of a potential staff around the next head coach.

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Accompanying video

Also if you see JJ as a Riley, the rest of this interview process is just a dog and pony show and his contract is already written up.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  9. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah Conley was done in Utah. He definitely fits better in Minny than here. We need a scoring punch from our PG, we literally say that we win or lose depending on how much DLo shoots and scores. Conley ain't that. He would be nice because he's a good player, but not the PG we need at this stage of LeBron career.

Kyrie was almost out of the league at the time of the trade. He wasn't playing and s*** the bed in Boston and Nets with a lot of off-court stuff. Giving Reaves for him would be the worst decision ever by the franchise. Nets weren't willing to let Ky go to where he wanted. We were also coming out of a negative value superstar, wouldn't make sense to go all-in for a potential other one.

I think there's a lot of hindsight in looking at both cases because they are both in the WCF.

On LeBron's going away of JJ's appointment as head coach, doesn't look good. They didn't even went with insiders, having Rich clearly say he isn't his choice. Only someone very naive can believe a player with Lebron's gravitas, who literally made a career commanding franchise decisions on coaches, staff, players and picks is now, on the verge of signing likely his last contract, not influencing the next coach decision. C'mon...

There's too much drama already on JJ. He won't have the time to do the best he can. It looks political this appointment and that always works bad. Hope we get someone else

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    maybe we're alternating colors

maybe we should start with genders and mix it up a bit

First female head coach during LeBron's tenure.

Do it.

[​IMG]

abeer3 and Slick2021 like this.
  11. Slick2021

Well...Becky Hammon is available! Now..if Redick doesn't get the job, Lebron will be blamed, for derailing the hiring of the next Pat Riley!

Dude can't win either way. Lol

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  12. KuzmoBall17

JJ R certainly will not be worse than Hamster, who stood with the face of the coach and watched the runs ,collecting timeouts until the next seasons

13. Slick2021

How would you know? He's only coached the youth league. Lol..I mean..it's really pretty crazy, to be even seriously, talking about it IMO.

JJ wasn't even a PG in the League.

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  14. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

Yeah, JJ could totally be worse than Ham. For all of Ham's shortcomings, he at least got our halfcourt offense and set play design in a good place by the end of the season. JJ could turn out to be Fisher, who just couldn't do the job at all.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Neither were Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Jerry Sloan, or Larry Bird for starters. Don't have to be a former PG to understand an offense.

Cookie and abeer3 like this.
  16. Slick2021

Perhaps we are actually interested, into hiring him as the GM? Rob gets to focus on just being the team President?

17. Slick2021

They didn't go straight to the HC job, of the Los Angeles Lakers either.

18. KuzmoBall17

I am positive.If JJ would be our coach this season Lakers would be playing vs Minnesota,not Denver.Yes they would lose to them too but it's another story

19. Slick2021

Based off of what? His color commentary?

This is what befuddles me..you guys seem to think, that NBA coaching is extremely simple and easy. Anybody can do it, but we are constantly screaming for the coaches head.

I'm more surprised at our FO here.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

btw, i never knew that phil started his coaching career overseas before chicago brought him over as an assistant. i wonder if there are any expats who might be ripe for the picking in this vein.

i mean, riley kind of did. he was an assistant for a year, with the lakers. before that: broadcast booth.