Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

No way im hiring a guy, that is getting $85 million for sitting on his a**.

sirronstuff likes this.
  2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Playing under coaches who had won championships and being on the coaching staff of a championship team, are completely different things.

And come on lol, Pop is the GOAT meanwhile as Laker fans we’ve been clowning Doc for years for being overrated and relying on lucking into a super team to win his only championship!

3. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I thought that but I also thought I don't trust Detroit management. It's not like they've been making good decisions.
    But I do want to know more on this. Why on earth is he being fired with so much money committed to him? It's not like Detroit are going somewhere, at the very least in the next 2 to 3 years. They could milk that contract if they will just be looking to lose.

It smells better if they agreed a buyout based on what you said after regarding his wife. Like half of that money.
    Detroit has a new owner if not mistaken so that would be a win-win if they want to go in a different direction. But you don't fire a guy (who's probably better than their next coach) who is owed 65 million unless you're in a position to go all in. They're not
    Yeah, I get you. If it's JJ, it shows a proper process. If it's Monty and this wasn't in the works in the backstage, it looks like we were lost this whole month.
    Let's see

I think we really need to get more info on this Monty sacking, it doesn't add up

Helljumper likes this.
  4. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I was surprised when Detroit gave Monty that contract amount and more shocked when they fired and still owe him a fortune.

Was never overly impressed with him and feels like he’s just a retread.

Weezy, Kenzo and Barnstable like this.
  5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I think basketball just isn't important to him right now. Nor should it be. If I'm him, I never coach another day in my life. Most coaches never see $85m in their lives (although that might change as all the TV money floods in). Hell, journeyman NBA players don't see that. He got that to go away. He should have close to $100m in the bank ... go to some exotic beach and sip umbrella drinks with whatever family/friends you want from here on out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    Ryanwestlombardi and abeer3 like this.
  6. Helljumper

Student
    For what it’s worth, Shams doesn’t think Monty will be a consideration for the Lakers

Pistons fans also seem pretty happy he got fired. Apparently the owner had to talk to Monty about playing more of their young players because he was stubbornly playing some of his favorites over their young draft picks (think Ham playing Reddish over Max, but even worse because he stuck with that through much of a historic losing streak)

abeer3 and Cookie like this.
  7. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Okay.Luke Walton was assistant under another GOAT Kerr so how he sucks when he was head coach in Sacramento and Lakers.

8. Helljumper

Student
    Kerr is nowhere close to a GOAT coach IMO

If you seriously don’t see the difference in qualifications between someone with prior head coach experience and 15+ years of assistant coach experience over someone with literally ZERO coaching experience at any level, I don’t know what to tell you

And again I say this as someone who prefers JJ over Borrego

abeer3 likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

God NO!! Bleep your "Pivot" @KareemtheGreat33 :giggle: ;)

10. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Disney Cast Member
    Again, Assistant. Make him an Assistant. If he and Scott Brooks could be assistants, maybe it would be like Kidd under Vogel.

11. KuzmoBall17

They all start somewhere even Pop,Pat Rylie or Phil Jackson,they weren't born to be coach.Let JJ show what he's capable of before making any conclusions .
    And again it is different in soccer,but Pep Guardiola never coached before his season in Barcelona,now he is among best coaches in a history

abeer3 likes this.
  12. KuzmoBall17

After Ham it's just not going to be that bad

13. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Pop is not the GOAT. What kind of new math led to that conclusion?

IMO, only two coaches are even in the conversation: PJ and Riles.

Barnstable and 432J like this.
  14. KuzmoBall17

abeer3 likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't know that kerr's a GOAT coach, but it's hard to deny that he got great results from a roster that another coach was lauded for barely getting to the playoffs. it took some guts and knowledge and leadership to build that initial squad (pre-kd) into a powerhouse, imo. and kerr did that with basically zero experience.

and i'm not saying jj is kerr, but he's really not a more ridiculous hire than kerr was at the time, imo (kerr had only worked as a gm).

it's just because it's rob and jeanie doing it that everyone was like "omg idiots!". i don't think people fussed too much when charlotte interviewed him or whatever.

anyway, i've been resigned to jj for weeks, so i'm not too concerned about it all. i don't think borrego or nori or adelman are the next spoelstra (they could be, i'm just playing the odds here).

if we went with experience, i'd go stotts. but if it's retreads/assistants vs jj? whatevs.

JSM and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

A head coach multiple times with guaranteed cash for him and his grandkids’ kids’ futures …. why would HE want now to be an assistant under an alleged know it all smart a**?

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think it's an easy two-sentence story to defend them, right?

det's roster sucked. nobody would win with that.

ham went to the conference finals and lost to the eventual champ, then lost to them again the next year.

it's the nuance/context that matters. monty clearly went astray from what management wanted (not playing young guys and letting them learn on the court), and so did ham (alienating important players and clearly playing favorites in ways that eventually lost the locker room).

so they're out. maybe if ham takes a charlotte job with a bunch of young guys and gets to bring in all his trusted vet role players to lead them, he'll turn something around. he was the wrong guy for our job, though. maybe monty will return to coaching in a couple years with a ready-made roster and get them to the conference finals right away, but he was the wrong guy to lead the long rebuild in detroit.

lakerjones, trodgers and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    Hmm Grant Hill would be intriguing. Definitely a high IQ player and would have been top 10 had his body not broken down.

Cookie likes this.
  19. KuzmoBall17

Detroit’s head coach has about $60 million remaining on his contract, and sources tell The Athletic that Gores will eat the rest of the money if the new president of basketball operations decides he wants to bring in someone else to walk the sideline.

If it seems like Langdon will be walking directly into a house on fire, it’s because he will be. However, the resources are there to control the flames. The Pistons have a top-five pick, over $64 million in cap space, Cunningham and a few other young prospects with upside who could develop into something more or be traded for more proven commodities.

This situation is fixable, and that’s what Langdon will be expected to do with the job.

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Latest from Stein

Barnstable and abeer3 like this.