Head Coach Darvin Ham Discussion: Hot Pockets

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If he can’t play defense, we should just stretch him and move on

Deng 2.0 SMH

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right. word is that ham "holds people accountable". if russ stays, we'll find out quickly.

Cookie, sirronstuff, Punk-101 and 2 others like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Vogel did too when he had backing of FO before they needed a fall guy.

Cookie, sirronstuff, JSM and 3 others like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lebron and AD didn't need to be prodded back then, and we didn't have russ. again, maybe the "fresh voice" is all it will take, but i'm pretty sure vogel wasn't like "eh, do what you want out there guys!"

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

If Russ stays, and Ham calls people out, you better get ready for the drama in Lakerland to go up to Shaq vs Kobe levels.

Westbrook can not return under any circumstances. If Westbrook is a Laker come opening night, you need to mentally prepare for another disastrous season. There is no one on this planet that Westbrook respects enough to treat with any respect. Him and Harden are diseases to coaches, teams and chemistry.

alam1108, pika1708, 432J and 5 others like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

Except NO one anywhere in pro basketball would take Brick’s side if he’s actually here so we don’t get screwed with a horrible deal … and Ham has to bring the hammer and bench his a**. Does he have the balls to withstand that kind of hate in his hometown including what his family unfairly would be subjected to?

7. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

No stretch. That just takes a problem and makes it significantly worse. Tell him to stay away from the team. He can enjoy the year off with his family. It’s a win win.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

You can’t stretch that huge salary. Look how crappy it was for Deng at far less dollars.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  9. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

i think he meant Lebron

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. LTLakerFan

Oh my bad …. entirely makes sense.

:Laugh:

FrontOfJersey22 and sirronstuff like this.
  11. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Lebron can make up for the lack of lateral movement with his timing on the right team that does not require him to play man on guards. He would be listed at 8th in the NBA for steals if he had played 58 (2 more) games. But having him out there with his liability on playing man on guards, AND Westbrook who will show a little around the perimeter but drop coverage on the first step can not work. 3 and D is what we need and we know Russ can't do 3. I don't know what Darv can do with him, he is "above" playing defense and always references his numbers. I have a feeling Russ has surrounded himself with sycophants and yes men and needs someone, like a Kobe to mentor him at this stage. I think the FO was just trying to pump up his trade value with the comments about keeping him. And they may have decided keeping him is the best course regardless of how he plays or his attitude. I tend to think that. Not interested in a stretch (though it isn't as bad as people are making out to be) and the deals presented so far are not attractive at all. We are free and clear in one year with only AD and THT who should be tradable and Rob knows that.

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

We need to be able to score points too, we aren't going to "defense" our way to anything, last season should have proved that. That top rated defense disappeared against Phoenix and we couldn't throw a bucket in the ocean on offense. I'm NOT saying that defense doesn't matter, what I'm saying is that this defense stuff get's trotted out as some kind of magic elixir too frequently, we need both. Ironically The Houston Rockets under D' antoni had a top rated defense for a time during the regular season, even after going small. It got crushed in the playoffs when faced with the Lakers length and size. The Suns had the top rated defense in the playoffs last season, then they ran into Milwaukee with a healthy Giannis. You are going to face teams that can score on you eventually in the playoffs, you better be able to score or you wont advance. I have issues with relying solely on Lebron and AD to do all the scoring, that worked once in the bubble, I don't think it was a blueprint for the future though, especially since James and Davis have both developed an issue with availability since then. On topic, I'm curious to see who Ham adds to his staff, Fiz has to go!! Handy will probably stick but I would like to see an offensive minded guy get that first assistant chair.

svtzr likes this.
  13. Slick2021

LOL..That's exactly what he did for three seasons. He won a chip with that strategy though. Unfortunately for him, Lebron and AD only played 27 and 21 games together after getting that chip. The main thing is still the main thing.

14. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

Hope he unlocks AD and keeps Lebron accountable.

If you call out your stars, the rest will fall in line. Case in point: Pop

Punk-101 likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

He did that on defense for 3 seasons Slick? BS.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  16. Slick2021

I like the fact that Ham comes from a team that used height and length to their advantage. Giannis, Porter and Lopez are all 6'10 or better and Middleton is 6-7. If Middleton hadn't went down, the Bucks would be headed back to the Finals. on their way to hoisting a second Championship trophy. Hopefully he can impart some of that line of thinking to Rob...hell we won a chip with similar personnel.

pika1708 likes this.
  17. Slick2021

Defense isn't why we won a chip LT. AD and Lebron bailing out like top 5 players is...and yes they did whatever they wanted to on OFFENSE.

18. Slick2021

True and yet he pretty much allowed Kawhi to play whenever he felt like it too after Duncan, Parker and Ganobli got old. Well until Kawhi decided that he simply wanted out of San Antonio.. Let's not act like POP was cracking this whip all the time. He was blessed to have two mild mannered superstars in Robinson and Duncan, but he was very generous about letting guys sit out games and he did cater to the stars he had..just like every other succesful coach.

19. Slick2021

You can't really hold people "accountable" if they are in street clothes.

20. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Letting the players run the show is ruining the NBA, at least for me. I used to watch all the games, playoffs every series. Now I just watch the Lakers and sometimes that is just out of habit. It sure isn't bc I like watching Lebron, I did enjoy watching the young guys. Basketball is such a fun game when played the right way but it can get ugly quick.

FrontOfJersey22 and Cookie like this.