Head Coach Discussion: Canned Ham, Who Is Our New Coach?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, May 27, 2022.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, you had Bron, AD, and DLO all speak on continuity and getting a training camp under their belts and that's met with yo-yo lineups and multiple changes to the offense and defensive schemes. Both going away from what the team was doing when they were at their best last year.

I didn't like the 5 out because we don't have the players for it. AD just recently found his 3 ball and Prince couldn't buy a 3 for what felt like an eternity. Then Ham continued to insert worse and worse shooters into the starting group. Then it also bothered guys like Rui with where they like to operate.

Defensively drop coverage has worked best with AD this year. That with the wings playing physical aggressive attacking defense is where we looked our best in the IST. I think switching is even more taxing on AD and can leave him in no man's land and there's no one else who can react and rotate down for any sort of rim protection if we're having to switch too high. I also don't think it's aggressive enough; maybe if you show switch early and then have the wing blitz, increase their jumping of passing lanes, deflections and steals on swing passes. But you increase the rate of those and you're going to swing and miss more than you connect, which again puts AD in a spot.

Agreed we don't have an identity. We're too good and have too many good players for this to be a thing. The fact that Ham keeps has gone away from multiple styles of play on both sides of the ball is alarming. It's too far into the season for that. He's seeing what sticks to the wall and that doesn't inspire confidence on the bench or in the locker room.

2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Meh..You gotta win with a healthy Lebron and AD period. That goes for Darvin Ham or anyone else. He won't survive, stacking up a bunch of L's, with those two playing in the majority of games.

We have 10 out of the next 11 games at home( 1 Clippers road gm, 1 gm at Utah) We better come out of this stretch with a good record. If not Darvin will be officially on the hot seat.

I'm expecting to start off the new year, with a nice win streak myself. We'll see how it plays out.

3. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Day 1 of, why is this guy still the coach?:Laugh:

4. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

This guy is so stupid, he has no clue of how to break a zone defense.

5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I have no idea what he is doing sometimes:
    -continue to play Prince way too many f***ing minutes and just watches as Miami player after Miami player simply put there but into him next to the rim so that they get easy layups
    -he didn't seem to have any clue to counteract Miami zone: it's f***ing Spoelstra he plays a zone you should know this
    -not only played JHS but used as your corner outlet man: wtf?

lakerjones and JSM like this.
  6. Slick2021

Man Lebron played like 50M of pure s*** tonight. Lol..what...we should have played Max or Jarred more? That's some distraction, my man needs to get back on track. He's been mediocre as hell since the OKC game. I don't know what scheme we can run with the poor D, and offense coming from Lebron. That can't be hid, especially with missing some scoring, from Rui and D'Angelo.

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

JHS, Max and Bron on the court and had Max running the point. :LLLLLebronlaughing: OK Ham.

I got nothing. More of the same. This month is going to be tough.

I do wonder what he plans to do when Rui is back. He just said we were going to see that starting group for awhile, will that still be the case? Or will Austin stay? Will both be in the starting group?

Khmrp likes this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

And who's job is it to get them ready for the game. Take your time. At this rate, the pink slip you get this summer will answer it for you.

You're really rambling about health when they're without Jimmy Butler?!

Shut up.

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Those two above quotes from Ham vs. this

Or compared to this

Ham's over here crying about injuries. Mixed messaging exemplifies the disconnect between Ham and the guys currently.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

injury crutch, dam ham be better, no excuse....he had them healthy n were still losing like this, being down 1st qtr is the most consistent thing this team does well lol

11. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

So, here we are. The season can still be saved but I'm not sure it can be done with Ham coaching. He is fast approaching one of the worst coaches I have ever seen. I stated this before the season started and I'm going to keep saying it. AD, Lebron, Austin and Max need to be starting the rest of the season. They are all four complete basketball players, not just athletes. Castleton should have been getting prepped for a starting spot as he is better than CW or JH. It is not too late to get him five to ten minutes a game, build him up slowly and eventually start him. I would start TP or CW till he is ready. You put Colin with the other four and you are solid on both ends. AD, Lebron, Austin, Max and Colin could run a smooth offense. What they lack in shooting would be made up for with movement, screens and high IQ. It would be nice to have a coach that actually had an offense to run but even with Ham they would do better. Another point someone made on YouTube was that early when the Laker's looked better they were playing for the extra 500k not Ham. The players know he is full of crap and not leading them anywhere. We have the talent to make a push when it gets desperate like last year but why wait? The guys that aren't complete players but have certain skills should be used accordingly but not starting. We can still pull this off, but it is made more difficult with each day Ham is here. Interim Handy.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  12. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yeah, missing russell and rui were the reason why they couldn't beat the heat without jimmy butler

what a goddamn joke

4dm68, ZenMaster and Khmrp like this.
  13. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Darvin Ham is Brandon Staley. He’s gotta go ASAP

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I don't like coaches giving excuses. Not a great look Porky.

FrontOfJersey22, Khmrp and OX1947 like this.
  15. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I don’t get our offense, our defense or the rotations. It’s a crap show.

Kenzo, Khmrp, JSM and 2 others like this.
  16. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Its a combination of bad talent around AD and LBJ and inept coaching.

432J likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Not sure I can roll with the bad talent part of that. I don't recall anyone in the pre-season stating anything about our bad talent. I think poor coaching makes good talent look very mediocre. I'm not convinced Ham has the ability to adjust his system to his players at all. This doesn't seem to be working, but for now, I'm placing this at the feet of the coach. He makes the most obvious poor decisions over and over every game.

yes the players must get results regardless, but you shouldn't have to play your opponent, the refs, AND your own coach in the same game. It's getting nonsensical.

ZenMaster and Khmrp like this.
  18. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

the roster is odd, in that aside from AD and lebron it seems like all the guys who are good defenders are bad offensively and vice-versa. reddish and vanderbilt aren't good on offense but defend well. rui, reaves, prince, and russell aren't good defenders but are relied on heavily on offense

there's certainly talent on the roster, but it all comes down to inconsistency and missing open shots. vanderbilt in particular has been a major disappointment. not sure if he's playing injured or what, but it seems like he's lost his athleticism and has become downright unplayable on offense

then you throw in the coaching issue, and it's easy to see why this team has underachieved so much even with AD and lebron playing great

Pioneer10 likes this.
  19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

This dude has to go. You can’t have a healthy LeBron James and Anthony Davis for almost the entire season and be losing all these games. It’s inexcusable, we’re hardly above where we were last season with Russ and dudes out of the G-League, I think we were like 16-20 or 16-21, we’re 17-18 now. That’s insane to me, this is almost the same team that went to the WCF, we’ve only been missing Gabe all year, other than that we’ve missed a good amount of Vando, and a little bit of DLo and Rui. This team isn’t trying anymore, and when that happens they’ve stopped hearing the coach’s message, it’s time for him to go. I don’t have a clue who replaces him, but Handy couldn’t do worse for now, he couldn’t, we’re 2-8 in our last 10 and lost 3 in a row. Do something and do it now.

20. Slick2021

If Lebron just had a pedestrian performance scoring, in the mid 20's, we'd have won this one too. We were 5 games over 500, before Lebron started this last 10 game stretch, of WTF is up with Bron? on most nights.

This is the perfect timing, for D'Angelo and Rui, to reclaim their spots in the pecking order, or a trade is coming pretty soon.

abeer3 likes this.