Gabe Vincent Discussion: Nunn 2.0

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Kobe Bryant 8, Jun 30, 2023.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    great attitude

sounds like another glue guy

Barnstable, Cookie, alam1108 and 2 others like this.
  4. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I agree , maybe (probably) we won't face another historically great offensive team like Nuggets who made every shot against us in the playoffs again but I don't think Vincent is the solution when it matters against the very best teams in the postseason ( was bad against the Nuggets in the Finals)

Max's development as a POA defender should be prioritized this season .

I hope the coaching staff is aware of that

abeer3, Toklat and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

This post is so spot on I hope everyone reads it three or four times.

wcsoldier81 and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

His salary matches Caruso - would look into flipping him for Chicago for some non 1st round draft capital if I was Rob.
    Gabe is a decent backup PG but his lack of size concerns me in the playoffs and I'm wary of the Miami Spo effects on roleplayers (hello Mr. Bone Bruise Kendrick Nunn)

The Showtime Mamba, alam1108 and TIME like this.
  7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. Pioneer10

Feels like I'm going to miss Dennis.

Just don't trust these Miami dudes once they leave Spo

9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, kept thinking that during this one. and of course ham puts a pg in the back court with reaves out instead of just doing the obvious and putting christie in there.

10. Pioneer10

Gabe and DLo is not a combo I want to see much of ever lol.

Ham just can't get enough of this s***. When OKC did this they had 3 dogs on defense in DS, CP3, and Paul George trade fodder not midget who aren't strong

ElginTheGreat, Kenzo, Toklat and 2 others like this.
  11. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

His caveman thinking is -- "well, the other team is going midgets, I must go small as well...." The man is a moron.

12. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

IMO Ham continues to show he is our biggest area of concern. It is only one preseason game but it shows similar issues. Not condemning the guy yet but he didn't seem to learn from last season line ups. Why waste time with crap line ups that should never be on the court during the regular season?

abeer3, Kenzo, ZenMaster and 2 others like this.
  13. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Well, I think I'll trust Gabe to hit some threes at least.

JSM, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Why is always up to me to keep our players way too good to be on page 2 off of it? :D

BUMP

Yes we all miss Dennis but Gabe is right there in value if not even more potent on offense. He’s plenty quick and effective POA on D even if not absolutely as fast as Dennis. Taller and probably stronger. He’s a baller!

:rock: :cool:

Toklat likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If he proves the playoffs weren't an anomaly with the 3 ball... cause they looked sharp tonight.

He's got this is in his bag

Nice fit with DLO tonight

LakeShowAZ, alam1108, Wino and 2 others like this.
  16. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Ham is a vet first guy, much like Phil Jackson was. I don't think he is as locked in on it as Phil was but this is his M.O.

It is preseason, he has to figure out what his lineups should be when they count.

Giving him hell about his lineups now, is pretty stupid, especially coming from some people who think guys like Castleton and Lewis should be getting more reps.

Ham is like a boxer, if a young guy wants to get more minutes, he has to step up and forcibly take those minutes. Ham is not going to give you that shot up front, you have to earn it. We all sit here and watch guys like Reaves kick butt and wanted him to get more playing time right away. And he probably should have, but he had to take that job, prove beyond any doubt that it was his job. Ham didn't give him his break, he took it. Ham is going to lean on the vets until it is just plain stupid. Phil did the same thing. There are ONLY a few guys ever who come in and know how to win in their first few years. Jordan didn't know how, but he did know how to beat his team mates and take their minutes. Took Kobe a few years. Instant winners, Magic, Bird and Russell.

I think seasoned vets understand the little things it takes to win more than the youngsters do. Obviously there are exceptions but not too many, even a lot of really great players took a few years to get to the point where their actions led to actually winning games at a high level. Ham is what he is, asking for him to play all our rookies is like telling Phil the same. If you want to lose him as a coach, keep it up, you will eventually get what you want. I like the direction this team is headed, while I would love to see Max get some more minutes, he has to take them himself. Be better, make it obvious, make every opportunity count. He was great in the g-league, he has looked good at times in preseason but has kind of disappeared at times as well. 2 for 9 tonight. Not great. Honestly he cannot afford to even be as good as the competition, he has to be better. And not just once, most of the time. Reaves was better most of the time. Youth has to be better than the vets because they don't have the experience to make good in game decisions, they don't KNOW HOW to make winning plays. They may be really really good but just don't have the experience to put it all together.

This is a pretty simple concept, Ham respects the vets and the youngsters are going to have to earn minutes the hard way.

17. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

100% this.
    Beating on Ham for lineups in the preseason is absurd. It's literally why you have preseason lol to test different combos, see what works and what doesn't.
    Even during regular season there's space to do it. Season is long and it's all a preparation for postseason, especially when the seed is getting less relevant in recent years.

Also, Ham is not perfect, no one is. He will 100% do things I don't agree with. He did it last year too. But we need to see the big picture.

The transformation from pre-Ham to now has been enormous. The culture he's creating is great. The atmosphere around this team is super positive. The type of guys we have in the team are awesome. A lot of grit, team spirit and hard work. That should factor in when we have a lineup for 5 minutes we don't like in preseason lol

On the young guys, don't understand the rush to have Max in the lineup. Our core 6 guys from last year's AMAZING run post deadline are still in the team. Just that alone should deter any big changes in the starting lineup, we should give continuity to that 6-man group who already proved to work well together. Then, we added 4 to 5 NBA-ready guys to the mix.

So Max has still a lot of work to do. And that's not only fine but also great to his development. There's no rush on him. He has great potential and if he realizes it he will be a very good player and will have a ton of minutes in the upcoming years. Those will come, doesn't need to be next month. I see no point in rushing it. I'm sure he will have opportunities this year, playing 10-15 minutes. If he's good, he'll get more. If not, he will continue his development and come back stronger later in the year. Let him grow, he's 20y old and is part of a great group with great vets with whom he'll learn a ton.

Finally, on Gabe. He personifies Ham's philosophy and I think he'll do great here. He will not put crazy stats or take over a game but he'll do all the little things, he's like our guard version of Vando. Team-first guy who doesn't care about individual accolades. I admit I have a soft spot for these type of guys, I'm not worried about him. His shot is yet to be confirmed, but I won't evaluate him solely based on that, I think he provides other things that are valuable to the team and believe he will have a positive impact when on the court.

18. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

DAR made sure Gabe gets his... some back-n-forth passing between the two and Gabe taking the shot. Me like.

abeer3 and JSM like this.
  19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Good to see him take advantage of so many shots becoming available with everyone sitting out.

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Gabe played well. Shot was falling so I am pleased.