Copyright Question

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davriver209, Apr 1, 2020.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I've taken up writing as a hobby and will be using amazon's direct publishing to officially become an amatuer novelist. I've got two stories that are originals. I already began the process of writing a third story, but it is an adaptaption of a videogame from a while back.

The videogame company's status as of 2017 was questionable as it's owner left, and the publishing company for the game was absorbed and turned into a different company. My question is, if this particular game, which is virtually unknown my most, has had owners who changed or probably cease to exist, are they up for grabs? Or is there some legal channel that I would have to go through to get permission to publish the adptaption?

I did some research, and all the business verbage, and status of the businesses are very confusing. Any knowledge would greatly be appreciated.

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    If it makes money, you’ll be sued regardless.

Merica

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'd at the very least change the names and locations to protect the innocent, if you know what I mean. My guess is you could be sued. Someone undoubtedly owns the intellectual rights to that.

sirronstuff likes this.