Coaches Hiring

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Khmrp, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

I wanted to bring up this topic because outside of PJ, we have had very little success with over coaches over the years. Is this because mgmt isnt doing a good job of screening the canidates? I mean pj was sort of a no brainet right? Ive only been a fan since the end of magic era transitioning into the jone/van exel era so were we this bad with hiring coaches back in thethe day too? I mean look at the green puke, they didnt lose much going from doc "cry me a" rivers to stevens, who sime might argue could ve a better coach than rivers, he just lacks the talent doc had. I hope Luke is our ver. Of Stevens but if he fails too i would not be surprised at all, unfortune thing for me to say but jim or whoever is making the hcoach hiring decisions has given me very little to be confident about

John3:16 likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

There was a lot of discussion about coaches and Luke especially prior to "Jim" hiring him. You had no opinion leaning toward him being a potential great hire due to his exposure to basketball greatness intellectually his whole life from legends of the game, his well known intellect as a player or to the job he did as head coach of the Warriors first half of the season ..... and think he might still suck just because "Jim" hired him? Not sure if serious.

:KobeConfused:

3. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I think management made a huge mistake with D'Antoni. Mike Brown wasn't great, but we were better defensively. Tough shoes to fill for Brown. With D'Antoni, we went with a coach for Nash instead of D. Howard. That was a mistake, IMO. But I'm not sad they're gone (players and coaches). I'd hate to have millions and years devoted to Howard.

Now, was Luke a mistake? No. We need someone to bridge the gap, much like Del Harris did. They got the tough love of what they need to do to work hard in this league. Now they need a coach to allow them to make mistakes while learning on the job. Luke will bring a more modern style that they'll view as "fun." Develop the young guys, figure out who is worth investing big contracts and when it's time to hit that home run FA, decide at that time if we're better served with Luke or do we need a better coach to get us over the hump.

I don't think Scott was a great hire, but despite popular opinion, I think he served his purpose. Lose to get top picks, allow Kobe to go out on his terms, make the young guys work. Tough love isn't popular, but some people need it. Now they'll get someone they can relate to. It's on them to sink or swim at this point.

So, out of the 4 hires, my only real complaint is the D'Antoni hire. Especially when Phil wanted to come back. But that ship has sailed.

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Bro you need better reading comprehension. I never said luke sucks and this thread isnt ragging on him either. I merely noted if luke doesnt work out it wouldnt surprise me one bit. Byron out of the last 3 coaches took the longest to hire and he has undoubtedly been the worse of the last 3, i dont think del harris, Rudy or dunleavy was as hated as byron has been

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Saying Byron was hired to lose is a big time cop out imo. No coach with any self respect would agree to coach to lose, especially not for a brand name franchise like this. He's pretty much sealed his fate as a bad coach and i higly doubt he'll ever get another hc job thanks to his last 2 yrs here

Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I don't think tanking was the plan, but as the season wore on, the writing was on the wall. I agree with you, he'll never get another coaching job. At least if @sirronstuff has anything to do with it.

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I know. That's what you said, it wouldn't surprise you a bit if Luke wound up sucking just because Jim hired him. That's why I said what I said. Bro.

8. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Eh... D'Antoni and Byron. Those are the only two horrific coaches we've had over the past few decades (not counting the short term ones like Magic). Lots of mediocrity, and Phil and Riley as the good long term coaches.

I, like many of you, have been watching basketball for a long time. Everything Luke says, his demenor, philosophy, play sets, strikes me as well measured and perfect for this team at the stage we're in. I completely believe he has the qualities to become the next great Lakers coach.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

After the bad cop of Byron, Luke will be the ultimate good cop, that should yield dividends. We need to make an investment in a new system and new methods. Byron's ideas were like Jurassic Park, trying to use grit trapped in amber to recreate a bygone era, but instead creating bygone errors.

But let's look to the future and let Byron'sgones be Bryon'sgones.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC

PosterFormerlyKnownAs_MC - Rookie -

Robotics Process Software Developer
    Personally I like the hire ....... in a way it reminds me of the Riley hiring in the aspect that the reigns are being handed off to a first time coach. It's nice that Luke is a part of the Lakers family already but with a sense of the new rather than a retread of glories past.

It will be important now to support him and understand that Rome is not built in a day, IMO the rebuild is now in year one.... I get that it's been a bit since the Lakers have even made the playoffs but quite honestly the last 3 years they have been caught living in the past while trying to transition into the future.

I agree with John 3:16 that the last few hires have been atrocious, some of this I blame on Jim who was trying to reshape the Lakers into Showtime ala the MDA hire ...... but the vision was never really right...IMO Jerry was dead wrong about the comparisons of this Suns years lead by MDFA and Nash to Showtime and Jim was trying to make that vision happen. I can't explain the the other 2 hires....Brown and Scott where to me a lost man grasping at straws while trying to hold on to the one aging asset we had..... I love Kobe but this was the wrong move on Jim's part, one of many I've criticized over the years, especially on Clublakers.

I know see a bright future ahead of us...... but until Jim steps down or proves himself I'll be sleeping with one eye open hoping he doesn't somehow mess something up. I don't trust he has a firm grasp of the game but hopefully he proves me wrong in the long run

11. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    We've had some massive failures in terms of coaching hires. I don't mean that the coaches were all themselves necessarily bad, but think about how much $ we tied up in failed coaches. This is a trend that has been true for many of the post-Riley years.

Pfund
    Magic Johnson (A mistake; great basketball player, but he's a natural genius - not a teacher; hired him for eternity after this debacle).
    Rudy T (Wasn't ever really up to the task; a great scout but not a coach; made us scramble...)
    Hamblen (Wasn't ever up to the task; great assistant but not a head coach; made us look for a big splash...which led to...)
    Mike Brown (Without LeBron on his team Brown's teams have a sub .500 record. We tied up so much $$ with him.)
    D'Antoni (Onto the next big name, bad fit.)
    Scott (Back to the legacy hire.)

Assessing the collective body of work of the head coaches after Riley, it's been atrocious. Struck gold with PJ. Other than that - wow.

Khmrp and raviator like this.
  12. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

This thread while true of the past 5 years or so just seems a bit untimely and Debbie Downer-ish considering Luke has not had a chance to prove himself. The FO has also not exactly been throwing a lot of healthy talent to those coaches either. We did not have rebuild coaches. We now have a rebuild coach. The coaches before Luke and post-PJ all required immense talent in order to produce decent coaching stats during their careers, they weren't the guys to grow with a youthful or rebuilding team. It's been a frustrating time but it looks like we have matched the right puzzle pieces so, chin up.

Barnstable likes this.
  13. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

Don't forget Del Harris. He actually got us back into the playoffs but I seem to remember he couldn't get along with the likes of Van Exel which led to FO trading him, Jones, and Campbell for Rice and...JR freakin Reid. Still highly pissed at that trade but oh well, at least it allowed Kobe to become the player he was meant to be. Then they still ended up firing him which led to Kurt then....

trodgers likes this.
  14. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    JR Reid? That's true, but we also got Rice in that deal. Still, in retrospect, that's awful. And you're right - it's the kind of thing I think reflects an ongoing trend of bungled maneuvers by the FO, even in the Papa Buss/West days.

All this said, you don't need to hit on all the opportunities. Sometimes just one or two brilliant moves can get things rolling in the right direction. Our salary cap situation plus our recent drafts could be seen as the first two big dominoes falling. Maybe Luke is the third.

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

Wasnt meant to be debbie downer but after reading the nance thread and seeing how much of a nightmare it was for the players and us with byron, im just in aww how much time mgmt put into hiring process with byron and yet he became the worse of the 3 hires the last 5yrs. Youd think after brown/mda they'd have learned enough to avoid such disastrous hiring

raviator and trodgers like this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Jim Buss wanted Mike Brown; he made the hire without consulting Kobe. D'Antoni was the wrong fit for the team we had; I think Luke was the perfect hire and checks all the boxes for the present roster and the future going forward. You're right, though; we've had some very bad coaches going back through the years.

17. Paperplanes

Paperplanes - Rookie -

Anytime you hire a coach and they get fired 2-3 years in is a complete disaster. One of the biggest reasons the front office is looked liked such a mess is not the jim- jeanie fighting but the fact we make such poor coaching choices.
    Why would any free agent want to go to a team where they have a new coach every few years and have no idea what style or identity the team will have.

trodgers and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

How do you measure success in a coach? As the Lakers our standards have always been championship or bust. And we've almost always had the personnel to achieve it. This is basically why Brown and MDA were complete failures because they had pretty much the same personnel that had won the previous years before but the team went completely nowhere. Pfund I give a pass because I mean c'mon, our best players were what Nick and Sadale Threatt? Harris had Shaq and Kobe but couldn't get by Utah. Scott didn't have anybody either, but the fact that he couldn't coach a competitive team at all and players and fans alike hated him with a passion makes him probably the second worse hire after D'Antoni. Right now Luke may be the most sound decision basketwise as far as our personnel is concerned since Phil was hired. Of course I'm saying this when he hasn't yet coached these guys a single game, but if summer league was any indication we just very well may be back on the right track.

trodgers and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Jim has a horrendous track record with coaching hires. It started with his first - Rudy T, who while he was a good coach with Houston, turned into a disaster here. Jim openly beefed with Phil while he was here in his second go round, so I think it's safe to say that was Jerry Buss's hire not his. The next hire, Mike Brown was a disaster. The following hire, D' Antoni was a disaster. And Byron Scott was a disaster. For the very first time under Jim's decision making tenure I think we have a good hire. Better late than never I guess. Luke was an inspired choice and I'm glad he is our HC for the next few years at least. He's got a great mind and pedigree for coaching and he's young and can grow into the job. We're not winning any championships soon so it'll be nice to ease him and the young kids in and watch the whole group develop. Luke's a great fit.

20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Coaches in the NBA are the worst in the 4 major sports. Their are a hand full of good coaches and a couple of great ones. And the rest are a**. Just the way it is.