Best Things To Do For A Friend Dealing With Severe Depression?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sirronstuff, May 16, 2016.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    What are the best things you can do?

Get them out? Just spend time with them?

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Reach out and do your best to make them feel valued. I've had bouts with depression and I would get into this cycle where I felt like everything I did was wrong and that maybe my life had no value. I felt weird and out of place. I felt like maybe I was too nerdy or too needy or something. There was times when I thought genuinely that maybe everyone was nice to me just out of an obligation or something. As if someone put them up to it or something as some sort of cruel joke. Sounds really weird, but my mind went to crazy dark places and it was after I'd watched a rerun of the Truman Show. But people would try to cheer me up, but they'd say obvious things like "you're not a failure! I like you!"

When I was in those dark places, those words just ring hollow even if they're true. To me it sounded like someone just saying something nice because they knew I was down. It was like how you pat a kid on the head who is having a bad day, it felt like pandering and it made me angry and that made me even more sad. Heck to this day when I reach out to a friend and I don't hear from them in a reasonable time frame I get down thinking maybe they're not as into our friendship as I am. Maybe I view this friendship a different way.

What got me out of that was my wife making me feel valued every day with small things. She'd thank me for doing things around the house that weren't even a big deal. I'd do the dishes or fold the laundry or take the trash out and she'd thank me for doing those things. That honestly was my first step back out of that dark place. I just felt appreciated for once even if it's something small and trivial. Then as things improved I'd find the value in all the things I did for myself and for others.

You can't force someone to see a therapist or to go to rehab or do anything like that, but you can sure make them understand that you're their friend or their family member and you care about them. You can be there for them. If you know or suspect someone is depressed I'd also tell all of those people around them so that they can watch out for dangerous signs. I have a family history of mental disorders and it takes a strong community to hold everyone together sometimes.

Good luck sirron! May the force be with you!

3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    There really isn't a simple answer for this. When I'm depressed, going out with friends makes me feel better ... but every part of me would rather blow them off and stay in watching TV and eating junk food. Knowing that the next day I'll become even more depressed over that choice. It's a weird cycle.

The only thing I can say is just be there for them. Like real said, if I was noticeably depressed and a friend kept hitting me up to hang out, I'd get upset because I'd feel like they were pandering to me and only trying to hang out to get me to feel better. I mean rationally, there's nothing wrong with that. That's being a good friend. But when I'm in that state of mind, it feels inauthentic and just fuels the depression.

I'm just speaking for myself here, maybe your friend might appreciate persistently reaching out. But if this friend is like me, I'd say give them time and space to work things out for themselves while occasionally reaching out to them. Nothing dramatic. Don't go on some huge mission to singlehandedly take them out of their depression. Don't set up some crazy intervention.

But if for example you know they're a Laker fan, shoot them a random text asking what they think of the Luke hire. Get a small conversation going and get a feel for how they're doing. If they seem distant and unwilling to talk too much at that point in time, maybe the next week you hit them up about a random music album recommendation or ask them what they thought about a playoff game. If you're in the area, maybe invite them along with a few other friends to get together for happy hour at a local bar.

Just occasionally reach out to them for simple conversations or invite them to small get togethers. No grand gestures, just reminders of what your friendship is about. If/when they're in the mood to engage in conversation or hang out, treat them like normal. Subtly let them know that you care about them and are concerned, but for the most part just try to settle back into your usual friendship.

sirronstuff likes this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Depends on how severe.

Counseling, exercise, diet, sunlight all can help.

What's the cause? If it's just a bad day, get out and get active. If it's deeper than that, get help.

trodgers likes this.
  5. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

All great advice so far. What's the cause?

I really like real's suggestion to feel valued. Similar to that is to "feel felt". If this person can articulate what's bothering them, don't try to cheer them up or help them see things differently right away. They need to FEEL that you FEEL them if that makes sense.

6. sirronstuff

Feel them up?

7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Unless you look like Kate Beckinsale, feeling them up is unlikely to make them feel better.

Socrates and sirronstuff like this.
  8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...just be there for them just to talk to and keep tabs as a friend. Keep mutual friends, his/her family aware so that you are not alone.

9. sirronstuff

Thanks for the input guys

Depression seems like a moving target to deal with

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

It is. I was briefly addicted to pain meds after a surgery, for about a week in a half after the initial withdrawals wore off, I would have these bouts of depression out of nowhere as my brain chemistry returned to normal. It's so weird. nothing was wrong whatsoever, but you feel so helpless. I always thought, "Why can't people who are depressed just look around them and snap out of it?" It's really horrifying what happens when the chemicals in your mind get messed up. There is literally nothing that can make you feel better...except like I mentioned before...maybe Kate Beckinsale would have helped.

John3:16 and sirronstuff like this.
  11. gcclaker

I watch the show "Disappeared" on the Investigative Channel. Most of the ones that go missing could be due to bouts of depression. They just up and go with no clue as to why, how and when. Hope your friend [or anyone else for that matter] don't end up on that route.

John3:16 likes this.
  12. sirronstuff

Do they remain disappeared?

13. gcclaker

Yep, a majority of them never turned up for one reason or another. One episode ended where they found the remains at some part of a desert.

14. sirronstuff

I can understand that. Depression makes people very hopeless. If life no longer holds any meaning, you could see how that could happen.

15. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I'll add my 3 cents on this topic as I overcame it many years ago. There are 3 points to it that were the keys for me:

1. Relativity - I realized and understood that whatever situation I was going through there was always someone in a worse situation. You have to know and understand that. We all live our own lives, so we tend to get wrapped up in how we are living, the good, the bad, and the ugly. But so does everyone else, it's just relative to each person's life. Humble your ego and stop being so self centered. Everyone's life has good, bad, and ugly.

2. Myopia - Don't get myopic about your depression because then it dominates your life. Open your mind at that moment and put it, or whatever is causing it if you know, in perspective. You've lost perspective by focusing on the depression or the cause of your depression. Life happens and no one said its supposed to be all good all the time. Your job is to keep it in perspective.

3. Self perseverance - bottom line is you choose to survive and not let anything take you down. No special magical thoughts, phylosophy, or scripture here. Just a decision that you make with yourself that you will not be taken down by depression or whatever has you feeling that way.

I could write more about this and how I defeated depression, but I'll just sum it up by saying whenever you feel depressed try to figure out right then and there what it is. If it's something you need to level up to then do it. If you don't want to level up to it then accept that and move on. If you can't figure out the source or don't care what it is because you just don't give a f**k, then just get your mind out of that space and inject different feelings and thoughts. Expand your mind at that moment to realize and focus on the fact that there is more to life than that depression and the source of it. As you actively do that exercise then over time those depressive feelings that pop up out of nowhere get more rare and get weaker and weaker until they hardly ever happen. That's when you win because you know how to rid yourself of those feelings whenever they come up.

16. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

I'll put in my opinion as I have severe depression and I believe am on the track to healing.

A counselor or psychologist does wonders. But I also know that it takes a person wanting to get better for them to be able to pursue such a course. Please know that you can try your best to help, but you are not a counselor. You must be careful and recognize that you may not be able to help. That doesn't make you a bad person at all. Sometimes it takes a particular person to make things better.

Medication is helping me immensely - After going the counselor route for about 6 months and things eventually got worse (my Father became terminally ill and passed away), I have been prescribed Wellbutrin about two weeks ago. While the medicine doesn't have a full affect for another 2 months, I can already feel like I can handle more.

What worked for me from friends? Knowing that they cared. Some people from here (and former CL members) messaged me and they made a huge difference. I needed to feel like people cared. Other friends who moved on to other states checked in all the time. Found ways to send me things that would make me laugh or that distracted me from the issues that I was dealing with - but it is important that your friend actively works on their issues so he/she will also need space. Be there for them, I guess is what I am getting at. But also know that you can't cure your friend by yourself - it takes a professional.

In addition, I agree with other posters about trying to get that friend outside. Play basketball, go for a hike, a walk, things like that.

I could say more but I am at work.

I think the therealdeal is on point as many of the thoughts and things he dealt with are what I am dealing with. They really ring true.

Let me know if you have any questions Sirron. I'd be happy to provide more information.

17. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Great suggestions. If they're getting help already, just keep it real. That will make them feel valued. If they aren't...it's harder.

18. sirronstuff

Hopelessness and despair
    Exhausted from working and giving
    Losing your reason to fight
    Can make life feel not worth living.

--Unknown

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  19. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    Honestly? Exercise. That can wire the brain in great ways, and it's a huge confidence booster. It can trigger eating better, sleeping better, and just leading an overall better lifestyle.

20. sirronstuff

Telling a severely depressed person they need to exercise. It sounds so easy. But since depression is paralyzing, it can sound like suggesting a leisurely stroll up Mt Everest.