Back In Finals Within Five Years.

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

After tonight's selection of Ingram if he is everything we think he's gonna be which is just a phenomenal two way player playing for the perfect along with three other tremendous young players in Randle, Russell, and Clarkson combined with the fact we have over 60 million in cap space.

If we make enough progress which I see no reason we can't we should have a great pitch for Russell Westbrook. Even if not think about it. It took the Warriors exactly five years after they drafted Steph to get back to the Finals. Why can't we do the same? All four young guys have unique skill sets. Randle is a monster rebounder and with a jump shot can easily be a 20/10 player. Clarkson is already rock solid. Russell averaged 20 and 5 for a solid stretch last season in March I believe.

You have argurably two maybe even three All Stars and maybe two franchise type players. What other young team besides Minnesota has that? Then you combine the fact that we're the Los Angeles Lakers and it's only a matter of time before the superstar free agents start to come to L.A. This has already been a successful offseason in my eyes.

The Lakers in two short months fired the worst coach in franchise history, added the most complete prospect in the draft, and all indications they're keeping this young great core in tact. Ingram is such a perfect. Imagine how deadly both him and Russ will be off the ball. Eventually when he bulks up we can go small with Nance, Randle, Clarkson, and D'Angelo. We can run 1/3 screen and rolls like Westbrook and Durant do. So many possibilities and his versatility makes him so deadly in the motion weak offense.

I can't describe how excited I am. We are back. We are f***ing back. You heard it here first we will be back in the Finals within five seasons. I truly believe that. Ingram and Russell at the very least will by All Stars. Clarkson, Nance, and Randle at worst are solid NBA players, and there's no way in hell in a market like this we don't eventually snag a superstar in free agency. Last few seasons have been hell, but it was well worth it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Love dat optimism.

Lakers2015 likes this.
  3. Lakers2015

There is plenty of reason to be!

trodgers likes this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Nice post, should just be in the Optimism thread.

tada and therealdeal like this.
  5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Lol. Wow.

6. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Battle's a little excited I see.

7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    lol my bad, connection issue.

Mess is cleaned up.

8. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Battle does things in triplicate... :)

therealdeal and Battle Tested20 like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, I think we need to be careful this offseason. I believe that our core will turn heads this season to the point that if Durant signs a 1+1, Westbrook and Durant to LA in 2017 is not out of the question. That would put us in the Finals sooner than 5 years.

10. MusixFinest

MusixFinest - Rookie -

If our young core turns out to be as good as we hope, Westbrook and Durant wouldn't necessarily fit. I think we'd be better served going after a player like Cousins or Anthony Davis, if we could keep our core in tact.

11. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think they fit. I like Clarkson, but I see him more as our deluxe 6th man. Westbrook plays with Russell and we play small at the end of games with Randle at center.

12. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

that framework of that lineup could be an instant contender if these guys show the improvement we're hoping for this year.

Westbrook/Clarkson
    DA
    Durant/Ingram
    Randle/Nance
    C

So many different combinations with the versatility in that roster. I think Westbrook is possible, but i'm considering both Durant and Westbrook as pipe right now.

sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.
  13. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

With all our young guys under contract, the time is now to spend all of our cap. If we can get some top tier talent in through FA, I could see us back in the finals in a few years.

14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Certainly not directed at you "wally" ..... but after reading Ding's article this morning about Jimbo's delusions on the marquee FA front last several years, and then seeing that KD will talk with the freaking Clippers, C Bags and Knicks and not even extend the same courtesy to the Lakers, allegedly,..... F*** him and it's probably time to start leaving him out of our fantasy lineups.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  15. Lakers2015

Meh I don't really blame Durant. I love where we're at right now, but the Lakers are still a couple of years. The Knicks are mediocre, but they're in the East. If he goes there they're probably the second best team behind the Cavaliers. C Bags may even be the best with KD. The Clippers are no doubt a title contender as well.

Durant hasn't won a championship and his primary concern is that. He's gotten close. Within a couple of games in the Finals, obviously last season against the Warriors losing in 7 after having a 3-1 lead. We aren't anywhere near that close to a championship.

This is gonna take some time, but I believe the Lakers will get there in due time as long as they don't rush the process and there is indication they're going to do so. They're being patient, they're clearly committed to development, and a year from now they could very well be in position to make a run at Durant or Westbrook if not both.

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    (My) Oakland Raiders went through a long period of being awful, after being in a Super Bowl. They went through multiple coaches and schemes, and they have finally (it seems) turned it around. They did it by hiring a former NFL player (and former successful Head Coach), by drafting incredibly well, and by going through a period in which they overpaid for veteran leadership in order to turn around the culture.

I fear the Lakers are at least a year away from sniffing the playoffs, at least given where the team ended last season. We need:

Already established players.
    Veteran Leadership.
    High character guys.
    Selfless players.
    Players willing to buy into a system.
    A system that works.
    Rotations that reward effort and foster development.

We had essentially none of these last season. We might have to overpay for a lot of that this year.

therealdeal likes this.