Avery Bradley Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Kobe Bryant 8, Jul 8, 2019.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

He played very well for us before the playoffs. Luckily KCP picked up the slack in the bubble.

2. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

His numbers didn't really show It because he really turned it up just before the bubble and of course, opted not to go. He would have been a great help but luckily we didn't really need it. The 17 games prior to the bubble he was:
    11 PTS 48.5% 3PT%, 4 3P attempts per game 0.4 turnovers
    Very efficient and his D was on point

lakerjones, Pioneer10 and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    The guy averaged around 15 ppg for like 5-6 NBA seasons...I have no idea why his offense regressed so much. He used to be a lock down defender with 15 ppg.

But ever since he had a serious injury, he was never the same on offense. If he was a consistent 15ppg player, he would start for most teams.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

go look up his shot attempts. it doesn't answer causation, but he's converting similarly, just not taking as many shots. my guess is teams just realized that while he *could* get 15 points per game, they were better off using their offensive possessions differently.

weirdly enough, he's been plus-defender only 3 times in his career, the last coming 6 years ago, and he's never (!) been a plus on offense unless you count his 14 games with memphis. totally counter to the prevailing narrative. it's going to sound like haterade, but i blame some of it on the press. guys that play for boston get a lot of unearned glory from big media outlets, and i think bradley got a story constructed about him that was largely fable. had patrick beverly played for boston, he might have gotten a max contract from someone!

5. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^what you say could well be true. I don't know and I didn't follow AB before he became a Laker. When he came here, he was considered to be DONE. He showed up and played with the right intensity and attitude.

But it just seems like he doesn't have that next gear to "explode". Even the fact that he might have had a next gear could be a press fabrication.

abeer3 likes this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he was definitely a little more athletic as a younger player, which i think translated to better on-ball defense. his effort is still there, but dudes can roast him in isolation in ways they didn't when he was 22.

his offense looks pretty similar to me, though again, in his scoring heyday, i believe he took more midrange shots off the dribble. that shot has been largely phased out for non-stars (probably for good reason), and his declining athleticism probably wouldn't make it a good weapon anyway (see his nothing but glass fast break pullup the other night).

i like bradley, but he's been on vet mins for a reason. we seem to know how to use him, but i wonder if it's mostly for motivational purposes. if our stars would just routinely play hard, we could probably start ellington or reaves instead of bradley and be better off for it.

alam1108, Cookie and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  7. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^yes. I think one of the reasons AB looks good on D here is because a lot of other guys look awful.

In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is king. So is AB in a Lakers uniform on D.

abeer3 likes this.
  8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Exactly the correct assessment.

I've been watching Bradley for awhile.

This is it.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

This was always a mystery why his defensive metrics looked poor when the eye test showed that this guy was a good to really good 1v1 defender. Someone pointed out it's likely due to his size/rebounding. When he's not on ball, his closeout lack the length to bother shooters and he's been a poor rebounder. Rebounding generally leads to better defensive (you get more possessions plus offensive rebounds generally lead to good looks). On the Lakers (well not this team which refuses to box out unless your name is Austin Reaves) the rebounding issue was negated the bubble season.

10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

His shot and the confidence in his shot is really steady right now. Hopefully the roller coaster ride that is his offensive game stays positive for a minute.

The swings are so wild with him. He's either our best 3 point shooter or unplayable

lakerjones likes this.
  11. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

He's had quite a few Ofers. But overall he's 41% from three. He's at least a threat to make them and actually he is a making them. It's just that he doesn't have a lot of other offensive game. But he's playing D and that's why he's here.

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

And another one...

13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Wow we are f*****.

14. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    This COVID stuff is ridiculous at this point. What on earth is a close contact (when that's what keeps people out) when they all share locker rooms, planes, etc.

If you don't have symptoms and you're vaccinated, what is the issue? I honestly don't get it. A lot of these tests are flimsy at best as well.

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

This helps explain bringing the Midget back .... our guards are dropping like flies. Not to mention all the group hugging and yelling in the free for all following AR-15's shot last night.

16. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I don’t think these players are going into protocol just due to close contact. Pretty sure they all tested positive.

We also don’t know if they’re all asymptomatic. Joel Embiid and Tobias Harris recently got Covid, also vaccinated, and had a terrible time.

Even if they are asymptomatic and vaccinated, if they are testing positive and legitimately infected, they can still spread it. Letting them play in an arena with thousands, traveling to crowded cities, etc is not wise. Especially with Omicron being so new and is not having the most data on it.

I don’t like this for our team either, but burying our heads in the sand and letting everyone play through it is not the solution.

Cookie, Kenzo, Pioneer10 and 3 others like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yep that's what's going on ... the gift that keeps on giving from our friends in China. Just stating a fact, not getting political, that's where it came from. Organically or accidentally or not accidentally. Also read this morning the arenas are going to have to cut back to 50% capacity likely. Last thing the NBA wants is to Bubble again.

18. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I think we are headed towards another bubble. Kings had to shutdown practice today. We lost another two guys, now sitting at 5 out with covid. Bulls/Nets have been playing 8 guys for the past week or two. Toronto vs Detroit today is postponed…

19. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Did someone say bubble?

[​IMG]

20. Kobe Bryant 8

Kobe Bryant 8 - Lakers 6th Man -

Hating the C Bags
    The NFL is going to be a test for backlash on the COVID stuff. NBA will wait and see.