Austin Reaves Discussion: Foundation Piece Or Trade Piece?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

No. And absolutely nobody around here, is going to chide me, about harping on a particular player bro, we do this all the time around here.

It's OK I guess, if it's a player that some folks don't like. Well... I don't like that particular guy.

Back to the subject at hand, it's not necessary to get rid of everyone. I never said such, I also keep saying that, we aren't going to have to, give up everyone either. The targets that we are supposidly after, aren't max guys in the first place. We are looking at guys in the 30's,
    and below range.Rui and Chokeolo make a combined 36M.

I have no idea what move we actually make, personally I'd be looking to keep Reaves and Vanderbilt, while trading the other two for a high end starter.

I think Jarred and Austin are better coming off the bench. If either has to start, that's just we'll have to do.

But no, I don't think that's ideal.

2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    He’s a good interview though and people like him except for some who think we can trade him for overpriced guys who can score a bit more regardless of fit with LeBron

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  3. Slick2021

Lebron James has been to the Finals 10 times. There are a lot of people, that can fit with him. We just won a chip, a couple of years ago, and AD is the only person still here, besides him.

I preferred cave hillbilly Austin, hoops and fishing with Monk..lol

However he’s young, living life. I get it, but just make sure, that you step up on the court in the process.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I just meant DLO’s a non starter now in this equation pun intended and you’d “prefer” AR, Vando and Rui all come off the bench. That’s 4 planned starters in the rotation that you were unhappy with starting. Someone has to obviously, so first in that pecking order until hopefully we get upgrades has to be AR as he is our all around 3rd best player. No disagreements on the rest.

5. Slick2021

Agh..but I was talking from the position of, this core group just isn't going to cut it. And all 4 of them, aren't going to be on the team next season. Not all 4 will be traded.

I'll say this on the off the bench subject, I don't think those 3 guys, are as effective as players, at 30m or more a game.

Being better off the bench, doesn't mean that you aren't impactful though.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

who are these targets? aren't you the one always claiming that whomever the press reports as a target isn't actually a target?

anyway, dlo has to opt in to be part of trades, so you can't just pencil his salary in as tradeable. if he doesn't like the landing spot, he won't opt in for the trade. this complicates things quite a bit.

Cookie and lakerjones like this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Good point. Pimple was funny though

:Laugh:

I think a better coach hides players flaws much better. We’ll see if JJ is a better at using his personnel.

8. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I agree.
    Things can change based on player movement and players targeted not being available.
    I do agree that upgrading our roster using DLo in a S&T is going to be very difficult considering the League’s lack of interest this past season.
    I think we will sign him to a new deal, in the hopes of trading him in a year or so, unless he gets wowed by someone like Orlando.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. Slick2021

Well what guy, has the press hyped up, as our primary trade target, that we actually traded for? This year it's supposedly Trae Young. I just don't see that, as being realistic.

Now..Mitchell, Murray, Grant,Markennen, etc.. makes a lot more sense. Young guys on contracts in the 30M, and below range. Grant is the oldest guy at 30 though, but he's right there in line with AD.

However it could absolutely be someone else that hasn't even been mentioned yet, again tho, I expect that person to be in the same ballpark age and contract wise,as these guys I just listed.

I think C'lo will find out, that his market isn't nearly as robust, as he may think, rather quickly. If he wants a pay raise, opting out, to do a S&T is more likely, than just opting out to sign into another team's cap space.

He has a rather weird, eccentric type of personality, but I don't think he's stupid, business wise.

10. Slick2021

There is only so much "hiding", a coach can do IMO. Frankly I think we just had a better team last season. You have what you have, and considering our injury situation this season, I'm just not seeing all this room,where coaching adjustments would have made a huge difference.

Again...philosophically, I'm more of a, it's the players, over coaching, type of guy in the first place. I can't really think of a team in recent memory, that has won a chip, because their HC was some kind of tactical genius. You gotta have the talent, first and foremost, in this League.

11. LTLakerFan

"C'lo" .... works :clap: :rock: :cool: everyone knows what it means and since the players all lurk here .... is not as contemptible, like Brick instead of Westbrick or CP2 instead of CP3. Do we have a deal?

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

TIME and Slick2021 like this.
  12. Slick2021

Probably not.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I’m one of the few people that thought we had adequate talent on the roster minus solid big man back up or starter, and I’m convinced having a great coach would’ve made a huge difference.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

AD

no, that got cold water poured on it, i think.

mitchell and murray have both been connected to us and thus not possible, right?

the issue is that it sounds like a lot of them will be moved for each other (e.g., ingram for murray).

he better find out before the opt-in date. i don't think he's dumb about money, but i also think he's made a ton of it and just wants to be somewhere he likes. maybe--unfortunately for you--it's here.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  16. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Yeah Slick DLo stays lol

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. Slick2021

How do you get the quality back up big or starter and keep the same roster? So do you think Malone just outcoached Ham. Then got outcoached by Finch, who then got outcoached by Kidd?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
  18. Slick2021

And last week, JJ Redick was pretty much the shoo in, to be our next HC.
    That seemed perfectly logical to you too.

The issue isn't what C'lo wants, it's what Pelinka actually wants. This has proven to be an egnima for the everyone, NBA media "insiders ", fans and probably our players etc Myself included

If you don't win the chip, changes are coming, that's how teams that aspire to be title contenders operate. I don't know what changes, he has in mind, but personally, I'd be totally shocked ,if Chokeolo is on this team by training camp. However I also don't believe, that's the only move being made besides, hiring a new HC. That part is the given.

What was the last big NBA trade, that YOU predicted beforehand professor?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
  19. Slick2021

NO.

20. LTLakerFan

Draft Edey or one of the other 7 footers. There seems to be a bunch this year. Is there a Lively that could fall to us if these guys mocking the draft are full of crap and Edey gets picked earlier in place of one of them?

Wemby trying to keep Edey away from the rim seems could get into a lot of foul trouble. He likes to bang down there according to some fans familiar with his game.

Slick2021 likes this.