Austin Reaves Discussion: Foundation Piece Or Trade Piece?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

That's kind of shaky though man. We don't need, to trade Chokeolo for like value at all. We could be trading him, for a big for instance. It's not necessary to "replace " him position wise, per se. You simply want an impact player, that can be relied on in the playoffs period. Regardless of his position. You then work around that player, plus Lebron and AD, to fill out the rest of your roster.

So I wouldn't be so worried, about getting "like value"for Russell at PG. Bottom line, Chokeolo at PG, isn't going to get it done, in the West anyway. If he decided to walk, that would simply mean, that we didn't want to pay him. So if that's the case, we obviously had a contingency plan in place, before making that decision.

Minnesota didn't miss him at all, even though Conley is a different type of PG. It all depends on the player involved, I'm not really married to the idea, that this particular roster, is the best that we can do. We have to make some changes, and I'm not just sticking to the NBA media's, ideas of who we are targeting either. They haven't called one single player move, that Rob's made as GM to date.

If that involved, moving any of these guys, outside of Lebron and AD, so be it. However I'm not down, for just giving anybody away for nothing.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i didn't say pg. i said similar impact. there's a very small chance that someone signed to the mle will be a more valuable player than dlo next year.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

AR is worse when DLo is the other guard because too much is asked of him on the defensive end.
    If Gabe resuscitates, we get Dejounte, Caruso or something like that, Reaves is fine as a starting guard.

I'm only starting Reaves/DLo together if Vando is in. Even then, I'm open to explore other guard pairing.
    Btw, if we get JJ as it looks like, we should be 3 point heavy. I think that makes Vando's tenure with us quite limited

FrontOfJersey22 and Juronimo like this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

Shots fired at Holiday Ham

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
    Cookie, TIME, lakerjones and 8 others like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Dayum! Wonder what he’s referring to, specifically.

Cookie, Barnstable and Juronimo like this.
  6. Slick2021

Austin is my dude, but I rather see him step up his game, and talk less. Chokeolo rubbing off on him.

7. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I’m lovin it, Austin!
    Keep telling the truth!

Barnstable likes this.
  8. 52years

52years - Rookie -

Disagree.There was a chunk of the season when teams were hunting AR on defense purposely putting him in PnR to isolate him.His splits were much better coming off bench there’s a reason for that.
    I agree on Vando.Unless he shows he can hit the 3 his playing time could diminish to a specialty role.

9. Slick2021

That's pretty much the dilemma with this roster. Chokeolo is not a Championship caliber starter, and Austin, Rui and Jarred are better coming off the bench.

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    the lame Chokeolo joke is kind of getting way overplayed

I suppose you'll be doing that until he's gone

:Magic Shaking Head No:

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

This "our roster sucks" and we need improvement "everywhere" besides LeBron and AD is over the top. Period. Because it's impossible. You can't have it both ways. If DLO especially to you with the constant bashing is not starting caliber for a team hoping to contend, at least during the regular season .... fine. But then AR is clearly the 3rd best player on the roster and needs to start. You play your best players. Same with the Jarred/Rui position. If available .... either one should have been starting.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm fine with reaves coming off the bench if we don't have a stronger defender next to him at the pg spot.

i also think we had a ton of success with dlo/reaves/vando at the 1/2/3 that people just swept under the rug because one team could exploit it.

13. 52years

52years - Rookie -

If AR is your 3rd best player you’re not winning a championship.He needs to be the 5th/6th best player on a championship team

14. LTLakerFan

That was not the point I was making to Slick. And if we are improving, WHY does the 3rd best player need to be our shooting guard .... you were all in for PG with Murray, damn the picks, money and rotation players going out. As well, same as I said to Slick ... pick your battles, impossible to improve everywhere, though people can certainly still whine and moan about not having a top 5 or whatever roster.

If AR was not the 3rd best player then who was it? DLO? LOL go battle with Slick on that.

15. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Reaves ain’t the problem- it’s the combo of Reaves and DLo together defensively.
    We have to S&T DLo for a guy like Murray.
    Have to.

LTLakerFan and Juronimo like this.
  16. 52years

52years - Rookie -

They don’t have to improve everywhere just in the backcourt mainly and another big.Doesn’t sound impossible.Its the same two areas that most of us have been harping on for the last year

17. LTLakerFan

Then you move DLO for the improvement. You don’t keep the guy that shrinks when it gets physical and is the inferior defender. Problem is other teams don’t see HIM as our 3rd best player. It’s Reaves. Much as that seems to irritate you when someone says it. Everyone wants AR not DLO. Still hoping Rob can pull off a sign and trade for Russell for one of the areas of need but he holds the key with his player option.

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.
  18. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I don’t care what someone says/feels about a player.Im going express my opinion.pretty obvious you’re the only irritated one when it comes to AR.However you feel about him means nothing to me and frankly it should be vice versa as well.

19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Would be nice but we tried that at the deadline and they didn’t want Dlo. The ask was Reaves plus picks plus another contract filler (Rui/Vando). I still think that’s an overpay.

20. Slick2021

Hell yeah..it's not a joke either, Chokeolo is his name moving forward for me. He's earned that moniker.

I don't remember the Pimple stuff, ever being brushed back, do you? Chokeolo is supposed to be special or something?

sirronstuff likes this.