Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If it's Cassell, we're dumber then I thought. That's as Ham 2.0 as it gets. I don't think he leaves Boston. He'll get promoted to the lead assistant of a championship team with Lee leaving. If he were to leave, that job just got filled by Ham (making me think he already told them this decision. )

Borrego to Cleveland is gaining momentum, according to Windy this AM.

Kenzo, 432J and abeer3 like this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

California taxes would have eaten up most of the extra salary we were offering.

I just don't understand why they kept saying this was some amazing offer. lol

DeeZee, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  3. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Wait what? We still haven't formally interviewed JJ?

:Kobe Snickering:

TIME, LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

this is where i stand. i don't know if hurley is the next big thing or anything (honestly, him turning it down suggests maybe not, right?). but that can't be your offer.

bill self makes 13 million per, right? with the cost of living difference and having to uproot his family plus leave a very comfortable gig, i just took it for granted that we would at least offer him more than any college coach currently makes.

that's an unserious offer for this kind of move, imo.

and again, he may not be worth all the money, but once you identify your target, you close the deal. if you weren't prepared with serious money, you didn't know what you were doing, imo.

and per usual, i think this is more ownership than rob. if ballmer is our owner, hurley's the coach right now.

relatedly, we learned nothing from the lue situation, even as we were apparently pining for him before moving to hurley.

ick.

TIME, Wino, SamsonMiodek and 7 others like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, the offer sucked.

6. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    On the PR spin for whoever we end up hiring, obviously it would be super unprofessional so we can’t ACTUALLY do this… but if the Lakers FO feels they got played for leverage it would be pretty funny if they just threw Woj under the bus. Act like they never actually were all-in on Hurley and only had preliminary discussions while keeping their options open

Bryant, Kenzo and abeer3 like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

we did all assume that rob was woj's source, but who knows, i guess it could have been hurley's team.

but facts are facts, right--we wouldn't allow it to be said that we made an offer if we didn't, right? it's too damaging. if we just kinda threw a number out and said mull it over, then saw it reported as a formal offer he declined, we'd work our back channels to refute that claim immediately. we didn't, so the offer/interest was real, imo.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  8. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

well, see JSM... This is why I don't cut them any slack.

The org blows.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Dan: The Lakers made a compelling offer to become head coach. But not THAT compelling.

ElginTheGreat and LakeShowAZ like this.
  10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

So, now that we know that we havent even met with JJ...

He is going to pass and his big reveal after the Finals will be how much we are a second grade org.

SIG

11. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

12. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

The University of Kentucky also reportedly pursued Dan Hurley this offseason to become their head coach.

Kentucky’s offer was $11 million per year to become the highest paid coach in college basketball.

The Lakers decided to offer Hurley $11.6 million to see if he would jump at the opportunity.

Los Angeles penny-pinching on top-tier coaches continues to hurt the organization
    No way.. they already blame Jeannie

13. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Oh it was definitely real, just think it would be funny (or maybe legitimately could have been a good PR strategy IF they laid the groundwork to plausibly deny it)

I mentioned it a few pages ago, I do actually think that Hurley’s camp was Woj’s primary source. In his report last night, Woj does mention directly talking to Hurley.

I just can’t see why Rob would have wanted to leak their pursuit if they hadn’t come to an agreement yet. All the embarrassing discourse about our franchise right now and the inevitable s***show around our next hire is exactly why it would make no sense for Rob to leak it until knowing it’s a sure thing

Here is my theory on the timeline of events:
    • At the beginning of the process, Hurley is thrown out as a pipe dream on the FO’s wish list. They put out feelers but Hurley isn’t seriously interested so they move on.
    • JJ becomes frontrunner, meanwhile Hurley’s negotiations with UConn have stagnated
    • Hurley and Woj see the imminent hire of JJ and the Lakers prior interest in Hurley as their best chance at leverage with UConn
    • Hurley reaches out to the Lakers that he’s ready to talk and seriously interested, has Woj leak it to start putting the pressure on UConn
    • The FO might have some sense this is a leverage ploy, but they legitimately have Hurley so high on their dream list that they feel they have no choice comply and put on their version of a “full court press”
    • Having learned their lesson from the Kawhi leaks (but apparently not their lesson from the Lue lowball), they proceed with their pursuit of Hurley while not leaking anything on their end and letting Hurley/Woj steer the narrative however they see fit
    • Meeting ends and Hurley is non-committal but asks for their privacy while he decides. FO too far into it at this point so again all they can do is keep their fingers crossed and comply

Cookie, TIME, JSM and 1 other person like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yeah, that half a million per was what was going to really shift the dynamic there...

anyway, hurley just became a folk hero in the northeast, turning down more money from both kentucky and the lakers in a three month span!

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, I get the counter to that. Top 5 paid in the NBA, $10m+ for any first timer is a lot, blah blah blah

BUT this had to top Self. It also needed to be more than $500k more than Kentucky's offer. To pry away the top coach in college and take them away from that life, it cost stupid money.

You don't pursue him if you can't afford him. That's a bad look for us.

Funny enough, if our all in is cheap we might not have even been able to afford Lue... again. That would've been pure comedy.

I wonder if this will impact Rob and Woj's relationship. He was his go to for all Lakers news announcements. But if he feels played or used, I'd enjoy seeing Woj get squeezed in the process.

TIME likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

totally plausible but makes us look like rubes to some extent, right? as i mentioned somewhere else, we gambled away a chunk of the brand on the last few days' worth of media attention. this isn't quite greg monroe turning you down for detroit, but it's along those lines.

17. KuzmoBall17

KuzmoBall17 - Lakers Starter -

Something doesn't feel right.
    Dan Hurley admitted yesterday that he would like to try his hand at the NBA.
    June ,6
    « University of Connecticut is perfect for me, but I would like to once try my hand at the highest level if a suitable situation arises in NBA.

A suitable situation – is when the club wants a person setting the tone to come and instill a culture. Young players and a club that wants to fight for the championship », – said Hurley in yesterday's podcast of Mike Francesca.

Cookie, LTLakerFan, Kenzo and 2 others like this.
  18. LakeShowAZ

LakeShowAZ - Rookie -

100% this

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Bring back Vogel with Terry Stotts as your offensive head coach or try to pry Adelman from Denver.

I get it's Hollywood but way too much drama over this - organization just doesn't seem very professional/well run

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

"Formal" is key word there I think. We met with everyone in a get-to- know them sit down but Borrego was the only one who had a formal interview according to some. Maybe JJ is just not wanting to do anything until after the finals. I don't know. I think they'll put more pressure on him to at least finish the steps even if he can't start until after the finals.

ZenMaster likes this.