Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Damn I’m impressed that the Lakers actually pulled one over on the media. Good on Pelinka for keeping this under wraps. Had me fooled lol.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

That’s fair, he can be overly negative at times, I guess I just prefer that to a lot of the media homerism I see elsewhere is all. He does praise the Lakers when they do well, he loved the move we made to get rid of Westbrook. He also hasn’t been crying lately about us not trading for Kyrie with hindsight like a number of other Lakers Twitter people, he calmly said with what we knew at the time we were right to be cautious, nobody was sure if they’d get this Kyrie or if LA wouldn’t necessarily have been the right environment for the growth that he’s shown where he did end up. I do agree he probably gets info from people who don’t like Rob, but Larsuel who is always on his shows is always fair about Rob and generally positive on him, so at least he presents both sides.

anyway, this is interesting

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Now all we need is Bontemps and George Karl to hate on the move and we know it’s a winner.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL yeah I was just going to say this will send Karl back to the drawing board. And what a lame a** take from Hollinger.

:Jeanie Srsly:

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Lol..the media remains clueless, on Rob Pelinka and his moves. At least this guy has actually coached with a high level of success on his resume.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I would love this, but I am definitely tempering my excitement as I can easily see this not coming to fruition.

D-Fish Man and TIME like this.
  7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Wow!!

Ok this makes so much more sense than the Lakers leaking step by step who they’re leaning towards and every little bit of “the process” that didn’t seem to exist. I was thinking, since when did this FO leak like a sieve weeks ahead of a decision that was made and set in stone. Wish I typed that out before, so I could look smart right now lol?

If there’s one thing this FO has been very good at, it’s not leaking anything internally until just before they finalize a move. Even Mr. Rambis doesn’t hear anything concrete about star player acquisitions until it’s pretty close to a done deal.

I don’t follow college hoops, but even I have heard the name Dan Hurley. I am more pumped about the philosophy change in installing a long term coaching program to the franchise than the actual coach. Very excited for this to come to fruition.

Kenzo, TIME, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  8. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Pelinka blows. Time to get off your soapbox, Slacky.

9. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Your s*** keeps getting weaker dude. Yeah he would have blowed, if he actually hired Redick..absolutely..evidently that wasn't the plan at all.

Lol..Don't forget bovine...I actually pulled up in Temecula fake tough guy..you didn't want any smoke.. I'll be back in town on July 19th!

Don't be scarred...Im not going to hurt you lol.

10. ElginTheGreat

...come on guys.

TIME, lakerjones and Slick2021 like this.
  11. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

I'm joking..I'd buy him a drink or two. That was my offer, when I was in town.

He probably thought, I wanted to box or something. Lol

Kenzo, TIME, lakerjones and 1 other person like this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

Interestingly enough, Anthony Irwin is saying that Woj and Rob actually have a good relationship and there is a direct line of communication between the two.

TIME, abeer3 and LakeShowAZ like this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

Oh okay gotcha. My bad. Lol.

14. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Is Hurley a good coach in terms of x/o's, game management, or does he win because of talent.
    Hard to tell for me as I don't watch much college basketball and the talent discprenancy between teams can be stark even when top 25 teams go against each other

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  15. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Although a lot of reports over the last few years have been sourced on Klutch wide, I’ve still been under the impression that Rob is one of Woj’s sources. Rob might use Woj sparingly as a mouth piece, but he does still use him.

While all the other reporters have been pounding the “JJ is the front runner and will be hired imminently” drum, it’s been Woj who had reiterated that this a long ongoing search that’s not close to decided yet, and he rarely if ever brought up JJ’s name.

At the time some people discredited this as Woj just speculating because he’d been iced out from the Lakers FO, but now I think maybe it’s the opposite. He was one of the only ones sticking to the messaging that the Lakers wanted (maybe he’s the only one the FO trusted to message accordingly and/or they were okay with the other reporters portraying things differently because they welcomed the misdirection)

Bottom line is that my sense from today’s reports is that it is the Lakers who wanted it known that they’re aggressively pursuing Hurley.

Which does bring up a somber possibility I haven’t seen mentioned much here… is there any chance the FO has a feeling Hurley doesn’t want to leave UCONN or will be out of their price range, so they want this leaked so they can then say “Well we did an exhaustive search and tried hard for another high profile candidate like Hurley, he just wasn’t interested so we pivoted to JJ”?

TIME, abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

I've considered that last part. I hope not. Lol.

But you are right. Apparently there is a much closer connection between Rob and Woj than we might have thought previously. Lends credence to the whole thing. If nothing else, we know Woj doesn't really leak things unless he is pretty sure of them. I just can't see him doing this unless talks were in the advanced stages.

abeer3 and Helljumper like this.
  17. ElginTheGreat

18. ElginTheGreat

He legit may be the best X and O guy in college hoops. I’m not only one who thinks that.

19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

say what you want about the lakers FO, but they are damn good at keeping things in house. i'm not surprised at all that the redick stuff was a smokescreen to cover up their actual moves. if i recall, the 3 team westbrick trade also came out of left field. redick and his people can't be complaining either given the added attention to his podcast

i'm not a fan of college coaches coming to the NBA based off their track record, but hurley with a solid team of assistants i can get on board with

Cookie, Barnstable, Pioneer10 and 3 others like this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

Talk about a shocker.

Glad there's more to their off-season process regardless of what happens.

Guess that makes JJ the fallback and Borrego 3rd place?

Cookie, Barnstable, TIME and 3 others like this.