Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Why are you even trying to go cheap with Brown? and then *you* leak it! Idiots.

sirronstuff and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  2. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Mike Brown has 4 Championship rings. Coach of the year twice, been to 2 Conference Finals as a HC, and 1 Finals appearance. I guess his resume isn't impressive enough for Sacramento.

Hell WE fired him after 5 games.

sirronstuff and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

He learned and grew a lot under Kerr. He wasn't ready for the Laker gig and has since admitted that. He and his DVDs were awful here.

4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

5 games is still crazy. That whole season was crazy. I guess the Kings have a limited budget to work with.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Luka/Kyrie vs Brown/Tatum should be entertaining.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

as bad as brown was, he managed to get more out of bynum than phil did. that's pretty much the only positive that came out of his lakers tenure

but coaches can certainly improve through the years and brown looks to have done exactly that. he's clearly not the same coach he was a decade+ ago

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Not a fan of the rumors or Dudley, Rondo, and Cassell, 2 of those guys are sort of redundant. If it’s going to be JJ there needs to be multiple former head coaches on the staff like Brooks and whoever else would join, we don’t need an entire bench of rah rah guys like Dudley, essentially former Darvin Hams, one is enough, we need actual offensive and defensive coordinator types with experience, like when Frank was here and we had Hollins and Kidd, and then later Fizdale.

Kenzo, Helljumper, DeeZee and 3 others like this.
  8. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I am absolutely positive that Rondo is better than any of the "coordinators with experience" names you've mentioned.

He's been around the game for 15+ years, was a great PG, an amazing individual defender and a part of one of the greates defensive teams in the last 30 years.

I think he got Fizdale or what-the-f***-some-other-nobody beat, as I don't think that experience is too valuable in comparison to a HoF near-genius.

Juronimo, LTLakerFan and VladeD714 like this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I'm guessing it's not Cassell and Rondo or Brooks and Borrego. I think those 4 would be for 2 positions, 1 from each group. Could be wrong, just a hunch.

I'd like to see Gentry or Stan in the mix because of their ties to JJ and their HC experience, even if it's just as a behind the bench advisor. Not sure where Stan is at mentally after his wife committing suicide (watch the interview/ read that story if you haven't... man, I feel for him over that)

I still like this rumored group as is and what they're trying to do that, it's better than Ham's staff or Luke's staff. You can at least see the plan with the assistants.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  10. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

(3) Rajon Rondo On Kobe In The Finals, LeBron and KG As Teammates Basketball Genius & More - YouTube

Rajon and JJ Conversation.

It's 55:00 minutes. You probably don't want watch that much of it, but I'll post it for the peeps that want to watch it a little bit at a time.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  11. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

After hearing some differing reports on Borrego, I'm not sure he may be here for the assistant coaching gig.

Reddick, Brooks, Gentry, and possibly and Dudley/Rondo would be good, IMO. Gives you some head coaching experiencing and Dudley/Rondo add insight from a players perspective.

Hopefully, we get answers soon!

LTLakerFan likes this.
  12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

There is a difference between right and wrong and we know where you shade to.

DeeZee and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

Depends on who defines what's right or wrong.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

If we have to hire all these experienced assistants or former HC, are we expecting them to take a low salary? What about Redick, do we get a discount due to his inexperience? If we have to do all this propping up, what's the point of hiring him in the 1st place?

What's the timeline here, for him to be able to fly on his own? 2 seasons? 3? Lebron is going to be 40 this season.

What's success..Championship, Conference Finals, Playoffs?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  15. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Logic.

16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Assistant coaches don't make a ton. League average salary is $800k-900k. Brooks got $1.5m from Portland, Young broke the bank in Phoenix at $2m.

Two first time HCs Rajokovic and Hardy are making around $4m a year. I think JJ will get more due to the buzz around him, the market and the job. Say $6m...$6.5m.

So you will be able to fill out your front row for less than what these top flight HCs are making. Maybe $11m for the front row coaches total. Also worth noting: none of those top tier coaches were available in this hiring circuit. You can only hire what's available.

They hire him because the thought is he's the next Riley. If he's not, for 2 years he's a modern thinking coach with movement and spacing, will fare better with the players due to relationships and with the media. He'll usher in Bron's final two years and then both will leave. That's worst case.

17. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

And, he and LeBron created the offense for our last Chip team while Frank set up the defense.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I agree, I want Rondo on our staff, but the to me that makes one of Dudley/Cassell redundant is what my point was. We can have 2 of those guy, but then we need at least one other guy who has been a head coach before, names I see mentioned here like Brooks and Gentry for example. I think you need at least somebody who has been there before to help a rookie in JJ navigate what is probably the hardest coaching gig in the league.

Wino, Cookie, ElginTheGreat and 2 others like this.
  19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Woike was on Irwin's pod...

-I mentioned Clifford as a possible assistant because he has JJ ties and more importantly Laker ties but here's a new wrinkle from tonight's pod...After we missed out on Stotts to be an assistant on Ham's staff, we tried to get Clifford but he got a HC gig instead. So I definitely think we'll reach out there again.

-Woike was also covering the Clipps when JJ was there. He's said some good things about that experience, but he's mentioned this description about JJ in multiple places. He calls him an obsessive worker and preparer.

Barnstable, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    JJ better