Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. PurpleAndGold88

PurpleAndGold88 - Lakers 6th Man -

2. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Actually if he’s smart, he should take the “bad” job. The expectations are much less and he won’t be fired in 2 years when he doesn’t deliver a championship right away.

Edit: I did read we want to keep the next coach for many years but if anyone thinks that’s going to happen if he doesn’t get results, I got a bridge to sell you.

Toklat and VincePT like this.
  3. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’ve already made peace with JJ if that’s our pick. I actually think he could make a good coach. Just not sure his first gig should be a high pressure situation with an aging star who is going to call the shots. Better to get his feet wet on a team with no expectations.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

good time for one my favorite Hunter S. Thompson gems:

“I never said he was (taking ibogaine), I said there was a rumor in Milwaukeee that he was. Which was true, and I started the rumor in Milwaukee. If you read that carefully, I’m a very accurate journalist.”

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I'd still like to know how our (impossible) coveting for Lue as a potential top candidate will result in Ballz not playing hardball with him on the extension talks that don't even have to happen until well after we have chosen? He's under contract for this season. He can't just quit and come coach us. It keeps being mentioned that the Lakers interest will result in him getting a much larger extension figure as if that affects this off season for us. Maybe I am missing something?

6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

7. PurpleAndGold88

I’ll take senile PJ in a wheelchair over any of those

FrontOfJersey22 and D-Fish Man like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

if he asks out, the clippers will let him out, imo. it would be weird not to and would damage their brand/organizational dynamics more than him leaving would, imo. in general, coaches don't want to be lame ducks, so it's either extend now, or he probably walks next year into the arms of whoever had a disappointing season. similar to mitchell's situation in cleveland, actually. if there's not an extension, it's almost certainly over.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

AHA! Thanks makes sense, same as for coaches whom another team wants to interview for HC position. And not even imagining if he asked out they'd let him. But yeah, Ballz can still do just like they did with Snake drag it out so whether he accepts their bid or not we'll have already chosen. Can Lue, himself, speed up the process by asking them to? Wonder if same courtesy applies.

10. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Great.

I like the list. After some consideration, I think the Lakers have Reddick as the favorite, but I do think they're open and not just giving "interviews" for the sake of saying they interviewed that person. I do think they have the best intentions to hire the right person this time and dig in, IMO. Maybe I'm putting too much trust in them, but I'll believe the best for now.

Nevertheless, I do hope that they are gathering all the intel on what others teams are doing and during this process can possibly identify "assistants" who may be interested and they can poach from other teams.

Hoping for the best.

11. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

73-9 and THEY LIED
    @CuffsTheLegend

if JJ Redick can be the Head Coach of the Lakers of Los Angeles with just AAU coaching experience and podcast game speed reps… then there’s no reason why i can’t be the head of scouting/assistant GM for a NBA team

Isn't that LBJ's friend?

12. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Yeah Cuffs is friends with Lebron and AD, I think AD shouted him out in a post game interview this season

But dude is a clown who is always flip flopping on his basketball opinions, I don’t think his opinion is representative of Lebron’s

Plus, the past week most of his tweets have been him adamantly acting like Drake won the beef against Kendrick Lamar, so that should say a lot about the value of this dude’s opinion lol

13. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Ok, cool. Thx for the clarity.

14. PurpleAndGold88

I am ready for my Ban !

B2DC78E0-B3FA-424A-802C-C519B82997CB.jpeg

VladeD714 likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If you're a coach you're going to get fired. It's when not if. If you're an outsider and only get one crack at it or have to leave a cushy gig at ESPN for a HC job. Why burn your one shot in Charlotte? If you're hiring during a rebuild, you're canned when the team is serious about winning. In LA, at least you get more exposure, are able to build an international profile and likely earn more money when you factor in the opportunities presented in LA.

Since 2011 here's Charlotte's coaches:
    Charles Lee
    Steve Clifford again
    James Borrego
    Steve Clifford
    Mike Dunlap
    Paul Silas
    Larry Brown

On average, that's not even a two year lifespan.

Barnstable and TIME like this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

- if another owner with infinite amount of F you money didn't think he could pry Lue away that says something.

- so the most well spoken candidate (because he does that for a living between broadcasting and podcasting), who's got Bron's vote and the vote of our outside council (I'm sure Coach K sees him as a son based on the success he had with Duke) is hired unless he s***s the bed in the interview. It's hard to see a universe he doesn't knock that aspect of it out of the park.

-Alien is Klutch...ew! Even more reason to stay away from him...Doc wants him.

17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

VladeD714, sirronstuff and TIME like this.
  18. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

AD is set to become the 2nd highest paid player in the League, behind Giannis at 60M per in 25/26..his opinion may carry more weight than Lebron's in this coaching search.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah, and none of those coaches improved their profile by going there. It's awful to coach a tanking team, you can't actually extract the max from that team, the goal is player development, not team winning.

JJ is setting up to come here, get fired and make a great career in another franchise

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

VladeD714, sirronstuff and Barnstable like this.