Assistant Coach Search: Anyone?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i think rondo's a VERY problematic personality, but his hoop iq is undeniable. can he get along with folks without alienating them along the way? can he communicate with guys who don't understand the game intuitively like him? that's the problem with kidd, i think--and why he does great with luka and kyrie (and not so well with most others).

while i don't want lebron brokering personnel deals, i would like him, AD, rob, and the new coach all to be on board with a philosophy. what wins with what we've got? vogel leaned into size and defense and figured the offense could be ugly but effective with lebron and AD. ham came in with some serious plans for a better offense (which i think he largely executed, to be fair) but our defense went down the tubes. when he was hired and said he was going four-out with our personnel, i was skeptical (check the receipts). when he doubled down and went 5-out the next year, i was basically flabbergasted, for a few reasons. to me, there was a disconnect from the beginning about how one wins with lebron and AD as the centerpieces.

i just hope whoever the new guy is has a vision that rob can help him execute...quickly. lebron ain't wrong about that hourglass.

RasAlgethi, TIME, Bryant and 5 others like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Oh come on guys it's not even close. Look at Rondo's hair and then look at JJ's.

[​IMG]

Barnstable likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

as i alluded to above, there's a LOT of smoke about rondo being a loose cannon. he's gotten into it with teammates, coaches, his own family, etc. in professional settings, this can be hard to work with and people would rather shy away from that kind of stuff. i get it. i'd hire a more stable, less luminescent colleague in my field, too. in fact, a few years ago we did, and we were right to do so.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i get that

if they want a stable, no frills s hire then it'll have to be someone like bud, atkinson, stotts etc. and i'm completely fine with that

rondo as an assistant i'd be fine with, not as HC. same with redick. what's his coaching expertise aside from hosting a podcast and being on TV? now if they hired atkinson as HC and brought redick on as an AC? that would be cool

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Our window is possibly very short or closed except contending on a 2nd tier. Not much time to acclimate a newbie.

6. LTLakerFan

Well .... I feel a little like AD probably with a real smart guy (allegedly according to LeBron apparently) leaving him off any D lists. You are the Supreme Fuzzler after all. But like AD had to settle for honorable mention like 6 down .... did I/We at least qualify for the "etc" category? :giggle: :D You have said some open minded willing to be receptive to the idea things too.

:Magic Brows:

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Barnstable likes this.
  7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Hey you’re in great company with the other top posters in that “etc” comment.

representing etc to the fullest
    :Noddingyes::ADeyesonyouleft:

TIME, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

9. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Kenny Atkinson is 118-190 as a head coach, and 1-4 in the playoffs. Yikes!

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Nope, not the podcast/ESPN. It's because of this:

Screenshot_20240506_200117_Chrome.jpg

His off-court headlines has been what's kept him off the staff to this point. Larsuel said they had every intention to interview him and when the 2022 stuff came out, we had to reconsider.

I really like Rondo and remain hopeful he can catch on as an assistant. He's still close with our guys, just recently we saw him calling AD over and giving him instructions from his courtside seats.

Like Kidd, I don't think Jeanie is willing to be the first to give him a HC gig after his transgressions. After someone else does it, it's much easier to be second to the forgiveness party.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  11. LTLakerFan

Contrast that :sick: with JJ never having lost a game yet (“with his full lineup” anyway ;))

:Magic Brows:

12. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

13. LTLakerFan

14. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers MVP -

By the start of the season, Lebron will be on his 4th HC, and probably over 50 diferent players, will have passed through LA. Pursuit of perfection on display.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’m not on the, let LeBron pick the coach train. Not loving the choices so far for candidates and JJ does not excite me.

16. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

This is where context is important, IMO.

He took over in Brooklyn with a team that was young & rebuilding. His third year he finished 42-20 with a PO appearance.

The year that Kyrie and Kevin came he had a losing record; Kyrie had a shoulder injury and KD was out with a ruptured achilles.

KD and Irving wanted different voices and Kenny didn't want to be there, which led to his departure.

Kenny Atkinson: Coaching Record, Awards | Basketball-Reference.com

This doesn't mean Kenny sucks, can't coach egos, etc. Although, some of ran with that narrative. It just isn't true. IMO.

This was like what I read yesterday about Stotts and his assistant role and possibly not wanting to be one? The reason he left that role: the team and coaches were at a shoot around and Griffin called a huddle together with the coaches. Stotts was talking to Lilliard and Giannis and asked Griffin for a moment to speak with them. This upset Griffin and he yelled at Stotts to join the huddle in front of the team.

Days later, Stotts gave his resignation. Griffin was also fired later this past season.

Report: Terry Stotts Had Exchange With Bucks HC Adrian Griffin Before Resigning | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

:).

17. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

James Borrego - Would be interesting as an Assistant.

Cookie likes this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    My candidate would be Stotts who I wanted before the FO went with the Make a Wish hire.

Stable and a proven basketball mind who has won 50 games multiple times and led mediocre teams to the playoffs.

VincePT and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  19. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Im hoping for him as well, but they will probably go with JJ, just to appease LeBron.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -