Assistant Coach Search: Anyone?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Agreed.

I forgot which reporter or blogger through this out there but I really do feel like letting LeBron have his pick really would be just to blame it on him if it fails.

Cookie likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That's really minimizing the combination of talent in needed areas of those TWO guys. ESPCIALLY LeBron.

3. LTLakerFan

First bold especially in this last chance go round with James, seems to me makes a great case for JJ.

Second bold NEVER happened. ;) Probably he said he was OK with them I would imagine, trying to not be seen as GM ing the coach hires, but Lue would have been his pick over Vogel, and I seriously doubt he was "championing" Ham.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I can’t believe we’re thinking of hiring Budz after what we just saw with Ham, and his run in Milwaukee ending for a lot of the same reasons. I would hope guys like Adelman and Micah Nori would be on our radar. Even if not them, guys LIKE that ready for a head coaching gig that aren’t retreads. I don’t get the JJ Reddick thing at all either, but maybe that’s in part because I hate Duke, he’s never coached anything before, he seems like a cocky a hole, he doesn’t recognize how good AD is defensively, etc.

Cookie, Barnstable, 432J and 5 others like this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

I have great respect for both as I have said a few times.

But we have several guys on this very forum who can break down plays well. You can even throw in some of the guys like Cranjis and Darius and Pete at Lakerfilmroom who I also like and have respect for. It doesn't mean any of them can coach.

Cookie, Barnstable and VladeD714 like this.
  6. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

The last thing I would do and IMO the worst possible thing for the franchise is to try and appease LeBron with this hire. The second things start to go south LeBron would throw the new coach into an oncoming avalanche and cry about having to do it all with no help. I like Adelman more all the time but he might be a better post-LeBron hire. I'm usually in the minority but I can't imagine anyone wanting to chain themselves to a LeBron train that is already 3/4 of the way over the cliff.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

this is what i've been saying. i can't take this coaching hire seriously. you want jj redick? hire him. hell, hire juwan howard after he failed at michigan. i don't care. honestly, let lebron hire maverick carter. at least he won't dog it purposefully to get him fired lol.

FrontOfJersey22, LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    We are on that train to the end of the line, cliff or no cliff. Might as well make the man happy and motivated until we hit bottom. The alternative is watching LeBron and AD trade off Kobe death stares toward a coach they did not want.

:Deathstare:

9. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

Careful... Personality Fit, IQ and knowledge of the job at hand are functions that should be measured carefully and if possible scientifically (this is what my company does). They are not necessarily asserted by someone being well-spoken in public or performing well in an interview.

In fact, from my personal hiring experience, a lot of candidates who do well in interviews are specifically good at the skill of performing well in interviews, which generally translates poorly to job performance.

It's one thing to BE IT, it's another thing to APPEAR IT.

with this, I'm not saying JJ is not going to be a great coach. I'm saying we have no idea, and the rational approach if those functions that I described above cannot be measured (and I truly doubt this FO is competent enough to measure them), is to go for someone with experience and a history of success.

10. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

So, Ham's in-game management, lack of taking accountability, common-sense approach (not starting Rui), and other sh** was just crazy, right?

I've had two people (Cranjis & Dancing Berry (from Lakersground) who know X's and O's very well say the offensive playbook was good and getting better. It was probably some of the best stuff we ran in year given who we hired in the past.

If that's the case, I don't really want to go backwards. At the very least, please bring a coach and assistants so we can keep running plays that are in the modern era. I know who I like and who I prefer, but the Lakers don't give a s***.

Hoping for the best.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  11. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

aside from westbrick (which was GM lebron and AD's doing) what has pelinka done to warrant getting fired?

not signing another big man last season still irks me, but that's not enough to fire the guy over

FrontOfJersey22, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

That's all logical and true and I totally get that many absolutely hate the idea of NOT doing this the deep, proper and conservative way. My points and personally I think they trump all that in the case of JJ Reddick, "with support from a deep and properly built Bench" .... IF LeBron in this definitely last contract with the Lakers and his last chances during that contract to win another ring in LA says Reddick should be the hire ..... I know which path the OG himself Doc Buss would choose. No doubt about it. Magic and West .... under the most intense and frustrating circumstances following McKinney's brilliant hire, tragic accident, Westhead freaking winning a title his first year ..... and then Magic breaking all hell loose finally having had it with Paul's vision of how the team should play. HOF talent number 1 Buss finally acquiesces to (apples and oranges yes with his whole career somewhere else if he leaves, certainly, I understand) and fires that coach. Messy like it has been here for sure. HOF talent 2 Jerry West after all the WTF tension in the FO about what do we do now with West adamant HE is not going to be that Guy and the 2 HOF talents finally agree on Pat Riley and the rest is history. I'd argue that outside the box gut call by the past and current player greats had LESS logic going for it than Reddick IF that's who LeBron sincerely feels in his gut can be that same kind of low screamer out in deep center for those last 2-3 years of him being on the team at whatever level of play he is able to contribute plus being "assistant coach" with TONS of juice and input. Just like good ole Magic the HOF player with that group of teammates, not Pres BB Opps, had and was right.

:Magic Brows:

Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Wino likes this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

It was crazy. Worse was him being stubborn when anyone with eyes could see how things were impacting the team.

I’m hoping for the best too. I really want us to get off this coaching carousel and make a good move. We get past Denver this year or last and we have as good a chance at a title as any team. We can be right back in the hunt next year with a good hire and some good moves in the offseason

TIME, LTLakerFan, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

Thank you, my thoughts every time I see those tons of comments. Or the he needs someone with more experience and seasoning, which he lacks, to help him out. He's been doing this job for 6 years now for crissakes.

15. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Caruso, KCP, Schroeder (don't know how all that worked money wise LOL), the before mentioned "missing" big. Drummond s*** show, getting another Miami guard...
    I still think he's not bad though. Could we get someone better, probably but he's not my biggest concern.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  16. LTLakerFan

My opinion is I do trust LeBron here just like Jerry Buss trusted Jerry West and Magic Johnson about Pat Riley … with a championship quality roster and expectations, with even less credentials aside from being an extremely scrappy competitor as a player. If he’s right we just pulled off our next Pat Riley. If JJ is Not all that he and LeBron scheming will undoubtedly be BETTER than Ham (really the biggest problem this year next to NOT a true BIG backup) and James is not going to do anything negative toward JJ. On the contrary will do all he can to help him.

JSM, abeer3 and karacha like this.
  17. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Some great points by ElginTheGreat, VincePT, abeer, etc in here.

Overall I dont have a strong opinion on if our coaching pick has no experience as a coach or a ton of experience. I care about what that coach said to get the job. What was their plan for the future with and after LeBron? Where did we go wrong on offense? Where did we go wrong on defense? How do you plan to manage personalities?

I’m a bit worried we don’t have enough strong basketball minds in the front office in positions of power, and that plays into why we rely on LeBron’s opinion so much. If you think about it, the only other team LeBron’s been on where he didn’t seem to wield so much power had Eric Spoelstra and Pat Riley at the helm. Two very strong basketball minds in their own right.

Last thing I’ll say is I hope we give Rondo a look at least as an assistant. He’s too smart to not at least try to bring into the organization, to see what he’s got.

ElginTheGreat, Cookie, Weezy and 9 others like this.
  18. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

an interesting question to ask is why JJ is being considered for head coach and not Rondo, when Rondo was always widely seen as the greater basketball mind, has winning pedigree, and so on.

please don't tell me it's the podcast/ESPN gig.

19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

that's exactly why

Toklat and abeer3 like this.
  20. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Yeah I’ve been in the Coach Rondo train since I saw this

Wino, Bryant, ElginTheGreat and 4 others like this.