Assistant Coach Search: Who Now?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Well actually maybe now I will put Nori as number one.

#ShamelessFlipFlopping

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    Cookie, Barnstable and abeer3 like this.
  2. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

The only option I like is Quinn- just based on the fact that Spo is very good, and Chris probably has picked up a lot of good traits from him.
    I also respect the Heat’s culture.

Cookie, VincePT, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think people crow a lot about not being wrong, which is what irwin and plaschke are working with. being right is different was kind of my point. 98% of coaching hires end in firing (i made this stat up, but it's truthy). so betting against any single hire is super safe. betting for one is impressive. i'm here for that.

great. you may be right, too. it's just such a low base rate phenomenon (truly great coaches) that i don't put much stock into the whole thing.

honestly, if things go poorly the redick hire may bring an end to the rob (and maybe jeanie) era, so maybe everyone wins. people will be able to look back and say it was just terrible decision making, and maybe there won't be anywhere to hide anymore.

but i'm still on team "doesn't matter cuz lebron". wake me up for the first post-lebron coaching hire. and yes, i know the company line is that this hire is the one for the next decade, but you can't not say that, imo. we all know what this is.

4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Gotta be careful, we’ve been burned before taking from the Heat:giggle:

5. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Yeah I completely agree with this. We literally don't know any of them, never talked to them, asked them our questions. We can never make an educated guess on who's better for the job.

Btw, on episode 6 of Mind the Game, there's a play that Lebron's calls "Clipper something" because he stole it from the Clippers. JJ talking about in the beginning of the podcast calls it "Flipper something". No way it wasn't on purpose ahah

ElginTheGreat and Barnstable like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, more concerned for quinn's welfare if we hire him, tbh. what's the coaching equivalent of a mysterious career-ending injury? jack mckinney situation? quinn: wear a helmet everywhere you go from now on!

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

8. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Oh man, you guys are ruthless!
    :Kobe Snickering:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

…my feelings are well known at this point but I will just add that everyone already attempting to pass the buck and not accept blame if this hire goes through is not inspiring confidence.

10. ElginTheGreat

Video added

abeer3 likes this.
  11. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I'll say this, why oh why did they (FO) listened to him about Westbrick and not about Lue and Kyrie :(

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Because Jeanie and Rob wanted Russ too. Remember Kobe was a big Russ fan. Kobe wasn't around to see his game fall off a cliff.

13. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah they were all on board for Russ. Russ was viewed as a super star who averaged nearly a triple double and dragged the Wizards to the 8th seed the year before.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, and why were you whining through your mouthpieces last week about not being previously involved in coaching searches?

i mean, i guess. but when you've negotiated an entirely separate deal and your superstar brings you another one, is it easy to say no?

anyway, lebron just trying to reserve the right to pitch a fit really annoys me. yeah, i'm sure nobody has talked to you about it at all.

16. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm not saying, Lebron didn't want it to happen (and AD). I'm saying if the front office also didn't want it to happen, then it wouldn't have happened. (See Lue, and Kyrie deal). The organization obviously has multiple people that have to sign off on moves before something gets done. (Buss, Pelinka, Rambis, Tim Harris, hell probably Phil Jackson). It's clearly more than just giving Lebron what he wants.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  17. ElginTheGreat

LeBron pushing back is no worse than the front office trying to make it seem like he’s pushing them to do this.

Also, he could’ve easily just said nothing. Especially if he really wants this to happen.

If LeBron isn’t sold on this then why are we doing it?

I’m not dismissing this.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm still firmly of the mind that the kyrie deal didn't happen because bkn didn't want him to come here.

and yes, everyone has to sign off on things, but it's incredibly naive (imo) to think that lebron's opinion isn't having force on everyone else's. i mean, you can already see him setting the stage for the ability to complain about it. that in itself is exerting pressure on the process.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm not reading it like you are at all. i don't see how the FO is making anything seem like anything. they're doing a coaching search like other teams do and like they have in the past. lebron's now had two separate leaks to the press in the past couple of weeks--the first to complain about being excluded (again, i'm dubious) and the second to affirm current exclusion (equally dubious).

btw, if you're right and this is lebron saying "don't hire jj" then we absolutely won't, imo. i think this is lebron trying to protect his image with the fans and media by presenting an inaccurate story about how things operate, knowing the FO won't leak back on it because why?

edit: serious question: if lebron wasn't behind jj's candidacy, why would he leap to the front of the line here? doesn't make sense to me that it was rob and company who decided to go hard after redick only for lebron to be like "tap the brakes, guys".

Wino, Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. ElginTheGreat

Yeah. We just have different reads on it.

I think JJ leaped out because he’s a name and the front office likes that. I don’t know who his representatives are but they’ve definitely done a good job getting him in the mix of coaching searches.

I also think LeBron is definitely tapping the brakes on it.

If he really wants JJ I just don’t think there’s any reason to do this especially after we’ve been hearing he’s the front runner for a few days. Maybe he had a change of heart. I don’t know. But it’s another reason not to hire strictly based on his opinion.

(Edit - meaning that if LeBron was driving the bus on this as many people feel, him publicly tapping the brakes on it like this is another reason they shouldn't make a hire based strictly on whatever he saying.)

And honestly, this is better for the franchise. I’d take this and run with it. Hire the guy you really want. Could still be Reddick, but do it because he earned it. Not to keep LeBron happy.

Last edited: May 20, 2024