Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. 4dm68

4dm68 - Rookie -

Finally we agree on something!

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I still lean toward experience but Cranjis is making a solid case for Adelman. We should definitely vet him.

3. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Cookie, VincePT, abeer3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

I'll try to add video and interviews of Lakers candidates.

6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

One of the reasons I’m still intrigued with JJ as a candidate, despite Zen being right that JJ not recognizing AD for his defensive prowess is a red flag.

I’d still be interested in hearing what JJ was thinking there.

7. ElginTheGreat

I’m really not sure about a guy with no experience at all. Our next coach needs to be a home run and someone who can stick. Not sure we are in a position to gamble here again.

I’m keeping a very open mind here even with guys I wasn’t too high on in the past like Stotts but I will have a hard time with us going with an unknown like JJ.

Cookie and VincePT like this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Wouldn't be against Brooks as an assistant

432J likes this.
  9. Barnstable

I feel like a known quantity that has experience and is a mediocre coach isn’t what we need either. The Lakers HC position is too high pressure for mediocre. Hell Vogel won a chip with us and I feel Vogel got canned because he’s pretty mediocre all things considered. Imagine Vogel in Washington or Detroit. He would be embraced as a pretty good coach IMO

So that leaves us with either finding a HC that is known to be good (ie Lue), or take a chance with an unknown that has qualities that might make him a good HC (ie JJ)

Cookie, wallangong, JSM and 1 other person like this.
  10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

vogel was fired because someone had to be the scapegoat for the disastrous 21-22 season

his offense left a lot to be desired, but he was the perfect coach for the 19-20 and 20-21 rosters

CarolinaLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

lol portland made chauncey fire his brother to keep his job.

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Cutthroat and I'm not sure why. It's not like they'll be good next year anyway. He's just there to babysit and tank command until they're able to get back into the mix... and that's definitely not next year or the year after that. They should hire any less qualified family members he has since next summer's draft is the one they should be positioning themselves for. Embrace the tank.

abeer3, Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  13. Barnstable

Vogel was the perfect coach for a defensive team like that. But his offensive acumen wasn’t good, and he lost the locker room the season after the championship. Thats why he got fired. I think it adds up to mediocre coach over all.

But don’t get me wrong. I didn’t want Vogel fired and thought he just needed an offensive coach to balance him out and give him a defensive roster. He was a really really good defensive coach. That said, he did lose the locker room, and that’s the death knell for a HC.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. ElginTheGreat

I don’t necessarily disagree with this but I honestly don’t know what the qualities would be for JJ. I’ve enjoyed listening to his podcast but we’d really be rolling the dice and hoping to get lucky by hiring him as coach.

Barnstable likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Thanks again for the link. My patience for long podcast watching tapped out at about 20 minutes, but agreed with everything you said .... the guy is impressive. Again, simply because I don't want LeBron making his mental determination on someone he doesn't respect watching him do the Xs and Os and in game adjustments after half a season and finding him lacking and then going wherever he goes in his head after that ..... I'd also be OK with a flyer on JJ and add Rondo and Stotts (big IF he's willing) to the bench for starters. Or if not Stotts another ex head coach that wants a job even as assistant, on the Lakers, that everyone respects.

16. sk2408

sk2408 - Rookie -

I think I'm leaning toward one of the highly regarded assistants (David Adelman, Micah Nori, and Charles Lee). For one, there just aren't great veteran coach options. There's Lue (who probably won't be available at all), Budenholzer (the mentor of the coach we just fired who has a reputation for stubbornness), Atkinson (who seems like a culture guy best suited for young teams, Brooklyn fired him because KD and Kyrie tuned him out) and Stotts (good offensive mind, was pretty good not great in Milwaukee and Portland).

Cranjis made the point that its much easier for the well-regarded assistants to put together a coaching staff than it is for the first time hires like Nash and Billups, or what JJ would be. You see a lot of "hire Redick but bring on Stotts as an assistant", but what reason do we have to think that Stotts wants to be an assistant at all (given that he quit the Bucks staff one day before the seasons started), let alone an assistant to a first-time coach.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Yep there’s that too …. point on ex coaches wanting to be on bench with rookies. Might be a lot better for Handy BUT there’s zero smoke anywhere he’s even interested or the FO is. Though in fairness it would be bad optics for him so soon to even want to be seen now making a case before the formal search gets underway.

Wonder how much JJ is making with ESPN and if he’d have any interest in leaving that gig to come to Lakers bench?

18. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

don't want another rookie coach personally. This is the Lakers, and may be Lebron's last season at an all-star level. No time to learn on the job.

I say be patient, let teams be done with the playoffs, and start firing coaches to see what options there are on the market.

19. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Well if Lebron is pushing for JJ, then this doesn't really matter. In general, I would agree with you but if Lebron is willing to trust the last 2-3 years of his contract to JJ then, so be it. I would personally do it, unless AD was totally against it, which I doubt he would be, if Lebron signs off on him.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i'm much more comfortable with letting lebron and AD pick the coach than i am with letting them negotiate trades.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    Barnstable, LTLakerFan and JSM like this.