Assistant Coach Search: McMillan And Brooks

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by VladeD714, Apr 30, 2024.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I hope Adelman brings defense DVDs. And maybe they’ll hire Reddick as an assistant

VladeD714 likes this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

VladeD714 likes this.
  3. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

4. VladeD714

VladeD714 - Rookie -

Those were the days...lol

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

found this Reddit thread about Nets fans opinions of Atkinson intriguing:

the consensus seems to be he's a great development coach, but probably not the best suited to manage stars.

VladeD714 likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I am hoping for JJ seriously and here’s why for LeBron. It reminds me of a Big Balls unsolicited stunt a rock band that wanted to have a shot at “winning” (their hoped for career) …. in front of Warner Bros Records one day (LeBron :giggle:) and Roberta Peterson Head of A&R (Rob/Jeanie :D) telling them/Bron …… (wait for it)

So the building was awesome all wood and smoked glass and great lines and was nicknamed The Ski Chalet. On an off street in a quiet neighborhood next to the Warner Bros Studio Lot. Across this small off street eventually another 5 story office building went up but on this day it was a 2 -story square apartment complex with a grass central area inside. So this rock band USA had this all scoped out apparently. They rolled up in front of our front steps on a big flat bed trailer with all their gear in place ready to be played before cops were called to shut them down as they were blocking one side of the street. One of their guys sprinted into the courtyard of the apartments with an extension cord and found power “enough” I guess because then it got really loud out there with the drummer and all the electric instruments and amps the guys were warming up with. Obviously there was a big crowd out in front on our steps in short fashion. Someone talked to their head dude who hoped to have someone come quickly so they could perform before being arrested probably LOL. Someone went down one level to the garden level still outdoors on the front side of our building where they were hearing all this too …. and got Roberta (Rob/Jeanie) and brought her up to the front where she got this smile and bemused look on her face and yelled across at USA (LeBron) …. OK give it your best shot! And they played through some of their repertoire for 12-15 minutes before the cops showed up. LOL I thought they sounded pretty good. We didn’t sign them.

I don’t think there’s any bemusement here it’s too serious a situation for the franchise. But if they hire JJ and a really good staff they are essentially saying OK we believe what you’re saying to us Lebron and in both of you in this situation and are impressed ourselves enough to say OK give it your best shot with this very team and career impacting move. Tremendous energy and good juju (loved Major League) would be my prediction for the team if they do. I’d be super excited myself.

:Kobe Shrug:

7. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

I wish I had half your creativity in talking myself into thinking JJ is a good option, when in truth it is clutching straws.

ZenMaster likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

No that’s in your opinion not in some truth at all.

9. sirronstuff

Compared to him, I’m sure he’ll do fine. Compared to a championship level coach, I’m sure he won’t.

gotta start somewhere

but like @abeer3 said, are we really competing for a chip in bron’s final years, or are we playing out the string? Do we think he can be a good enough number two option to win a championship? Can he stay healthy and play a significant role after an Olympic run?

My gut is we go with an unproven commodity, but I would lean toward Adelman as a proven assistant. I don’t see a reason to be the proving Ground for JJ. I would let him go the assistant route and cut his teeth and get experience working under a veteran coach to learn the ropes. He’ll save years of painful development by observing an experienced guy in action.

VincePT and FrontOfJersey22 like this.
  10. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

yeah, man. you are on a full on rationalization mode.

11. LTLakerFan

It’s what I think is going to happen and I don’t think the sky will fall like some of you and actually I’d have fun watching it play out. Am also not alone here in feeling that way. Clutching at straws and full on rationalization LOL. Whatever happens happens.

Wino likes this.
  12. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers Starter -

The things is, it isn't about what he can do at forty. He would still be a great second or third option. He still sees himself as the top dog. If you want to be the top dog you don't get to slide by bc your forty. Say we get a good point guard and design an offense that uses AD to his full potential. That doesn't mean every play goes through him. LeBron accepts being an off-ball offensive player which would actually be better for him then I'm all for it. I'm not so much anti-LeBron as I am anti-losing. We just see this differently, IMO his me-me attitude plays a major role in that losing. Obviously in your eyes it doesn't. Your number one guy can't just be good for a guy that is forty, he needs to be good period, is the way I see it.

Juronimo and Cookie like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Just what was LeBron doing all season long when either DLO or AR was initiating as PG most of every game, mixing in some himself when opportunistic? Not a bad idea BTW to mix it up. I don’t get the problem. Plus he shot well from 3. Was he not “off ball”? More than on ball??

14. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

If they choose JJ, the ounce of faith I had left in this FO will be gone.
    That being said, I fully expect that they will blunder this choice again.
    Infinite Monkeys case here playing out with this crew.

VincePT likes this.
  15. sirronstuff

I think they will nail it this time. They are due.

16. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I don’t care who the coach is they are not winning without another solid big man and a proven 3rd scorer

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  17. sirronstuff

I would add we need effective dribble penetration. When Dinwiddie played, he was pretty effective. But it was clear we needed some of that on our roster. Lebron and Hill Billy can be effective, but not based upon explosiveness to break down a defense. At least not without a running start.

18. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

I care about all three, but we will need to pull off a couple of one sided trades to replace DLo AND get a solid big.

19. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I would agree.If the Lakers can’t pull off a Mitchell or Murray I would inquire about Collin Sexton.The backcourt needs quickness and athleticism.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. 52years

52years - Rookie -

I don’t think a solid big would be that hard.Drummond pulled down 9 boards in 17 minutes of action last season.Would you have wanted that or Jaxson Hayes?