Anyone Here An Artist/good At Drawing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Weezy, May 19, 2016.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I need some help converting a photo into more of a stylized drawing/cartoon for a tattoo. It's a tribute to my grandfather who is ailing, I want to get it done asap. I have the photo, and I have a crappy edit I did from the photo of what I'm looking for, but I am not an artist at all, and I need to turn it into a more finished product to have ready for the tattoo artist. I don't really want to go down there and ask for their interpretation on it and then not like it and tell them that and then have them putting something permanent on me minutes later. Any help is appreciated.

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

If you have Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, those two programs have filters that you could apply to the image to maybe get something close to what you are looking for? Not sure if that's going to be exact enough for you, but it might work and you wouldn't need an overly talented artist.

Weezy likes this.
  3. Weezy

I've used every program/app I can to get as close to a drawing as I can, and from there I've come up with a good basic mock-up. But I need a real artist to finish it. I have the basic shape and colors I want down, but I need to turn it from a photo into something like a logo. It's a car, but I'm trying to get it close to looking like the NHRA Drag Boat logo, my grandfather is a very well known race engine builder and I have a favorite picture of an early car of his. If I have to, I will give what I have made so far to the tattoo artist, but I'm trying to see if I can really nail down the design before that point. I already spent a long time finding the perfect font for his name to go along with this little car drawing. This will be my most personal and important tattoo, that's why I'm looking for help anywhere I can.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I'm happy to give it a crack

Promise, no poop.

5. Weezy

Lol, much appreciated, Here are the images.

Original photo
    [​IMG]

My extremely rough edit (I want the car baby blue, but that's the only sharpie I had)

[​IMG]

I either need to simply clean that up and shrink it down, lose some of the fine details, keep the car body, wheels, engine, little driver, lose the fine details and anything else, or have it stylized like a cartoon type drawing. I think this logo is a good example of kinda what I'm talking about, because it's a drag racing boat, but it's been stylized, lost a lot of detail to make it a little logo

[​IMG]

6. sirronstuff

What kind of car is that?

7. sirronstuff

photo2.png

7.png

photo5.png

6.png

photo5.png

The air intake blends in with the bleachers, so I might not have got that right. Looks like in front of that might need to be cleaned up a bit. If you like, I can see about adding color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  8. sirronstuff

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. Weezy

Thanks, sirron, much appreciated for taking the time. I don't know officially what that car is called, the caption in one article it's featured in calls it a "pointy roll bar" car, but a Google search for that brings up nothing similar. All I know is it was my grandfather's first drag racing car.

[​IMG]

This is my terrible mock up of what I'm going for, drawn on an app on my iPad. As you can see, I'm not kidding when I say im not an artist, I have the same art skill level I did as a 1st grader. In the end I suppose I will probably have to hand this to the tattoo artist in person in shame and say fix this please.

[​IMG]

10. Weezy

I wanted to say thanks again for the advice guys. I wasn't able to find anyone to turn this into a drawing, tried on Facebook too, and a friend of my sisters started a drawing but never finished. My usual tattoo artist was booked all weekend so I went just to see if anyone else was free yesterday and there happened to be this super cool dude visiting from Canada that worked with me and came up with an awesome design. I ended up getting 3 tattoos last night I've put off for a while because they were some of the most important to me I'll ever get, and he did them for a great price. I guess I should have trusted a tattoo artist's on the spot skills, because he nailed it, better than I had pictured in my mind, and he gave me a great price for all 3. I'm looking forward to showing my grandfather, I asked for simple, but he definitely went above and beyond with the little details

[​IMG]

kdctran, Snake Eyes, John3:16 and 2 others like this.