Anthony Davis Discussion: Only Player On Both All NBA + All Def

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by vasashi17, Sep 23, 2018.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

derozan's an allstar. we have zero of those. butler and odom were both young and had outperformed any of our young guys to that point in their career, imo (save maybe kuz, though he's older). also, that was then. we're in the "lakers must overpay" nba now, so i wouldn't expect us to get a superstar without selling the house. SA asked for basically everything (think we got to keep one young guy). NO will ask the same, and will wait until boston can bid to ensure they won't get lowballed.

i mean, my offer is kcp/zubac/two smacks to the mouth, but i don't think they're taking it.

seriously, a fair offer to both teams would be:

ingram/ball/two lotto-protected 1sts.

NO gets two guys with high upside who might just need a change of scenery to blossom, and they control the rights to both. no salary baggage, either.

lakers get their star and keep some low-cost assets so that they can spend whatever's left of the cap to shore up some roster weaknesses.

but again, for whatever reason, the league has decided that not only do they want a good deal, they want the lakers to get a bad one. i'm of the mind that there's almost no bad deal that ends with anthony davis on your team, so screw 'em. of course that's not how i'd negotiate, but that's where i'd be willing to go.

alam1108 likes this.
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

That's a terrible way to run a team. I'm not overpaying for anyone. I'll let the kids develop and take my chances in free agency if overpaying is the alternative.

3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

I made a point of this earlier in this thread...but Boston's 1st round picks have limitations:

The Sac/Philly pick, the cLip pick and the Grizz pick all project to convey this summer for the 2019 draft. If you also consider Boston's own 1st, they have 4 first rounders that project to be in the 14-30ish range (all outside the lottery...if Sac and the Grizz make the playoffs and Philly & Boston will surely make the postseason in the East).

Then consider, that Boston can't trade for another "designated player" like AD till after the draft, meaning they have to either make those picks themselves or trade out the '19 draft and trade for future picks. Unless there's some tampering going on (and I wouldn't put it past Danny), they have to make those picks in the dark not knowing what the Pels really covet. I think Boston's potential package is vastly overblown since Tatum is really the only valuable asset they have (Hayward and Horford are overpriced distressed assets now).

Anyways, y'all remember this tweet:

That happened well before our interest in Vuc and TRoss was leaked. Maybe...just maybe, we're constructing a AD-Aaron Gordon-Laker kiddies 3way.

Fyi: Gordon is eligible to be traded on Jan 15th seeing how he was a RFA player that was extended on a new deal and has a team friendly construct where his yearly payouts decrease over time. Also, nearly the entire NBA will be in Vegas this coming week for conventions and the G-League Showcase, so look for trade talks to heat up.

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

So...

Ingram, Vucevic, Lakers 2019 first and the Lakers 2021 first to the Pelicans
    Ball, Wagner, Lance to the Magic
    AD to the Lakers

I believe that works under the cap if you add another 1 or 2 million in contracts on our end. It's not a bad haul for the Pelicans. A good center, a great young prospect and picks. I could see the Pelicans asking us to throw in Hart as well, which I'd still probably do. Magic get a pg to mix in with Gordon and Bamba.

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

There is no overpaying for Anthony Davis. We don’t actually even HAVE the players necessary to trade for a guy like AD, unless the Pelicans know he wants out, or he asks out, and they don’t want to lose him for nothing. Then we might be able to make an offer if we throw at least 3 kids and multiple picks out there. You can’t look at this thing through Laker colored glasses or what Jimmy Butler or Paul George we’re traded for, this is AD, this a franchise player superstar. I’m not even sure LeBron James straight up is equal value because of LeBron’s age. Ingram, Kuz, Zo, Hart and some picks sounds like a lot to us, but think about what it sounds like to NO management and fans, they’d probably laugh. If we had AD and they offered that to us would you take it? Yeah, neither would I. A 3rd team being involved makes more sense, or NO would have to be desperate and have nobody offering better. I don’t even like ESPN and I agree with all these people

alam1108, Toneloc, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. We can't really overpay for Davis in a talent for talent trade unless we involve Lebron. Outside of Lebron, our entire roster combined isn't as good as AD. If you trade everything for him, and next season we have LBJ, Davis and Deng's fecal residue, we can fill in the rest of the roster and be the second best team in the West, maybe the best if KD leaves.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. vasashi17

@Savory Griddles a little wiggle with the salaries here and there, but that proposal works.

So it sure seems like alot of you are open to trading a majority (uh, let's say up to 9 players) of the team for a star player...

Live look at TIME:

[​IMG]

Live look at Vash:

[​IMG]

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

this is an exercise of futility....IMO there's no chance Pelicans will trade AD to us, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't trade him to any wester conf. team if they had a choice in the matter especially not the lakers.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. vasashi17

Did we not construct a previous western conference 3team trade with Dell Demps (current Pels GM) and hyper competitive Morey (current Htown GM, whose already done deals with our current FO before) where the star, in Cp3, was dealt to us to join Kobe... all before "basketball reasons" nixed it.

Did they not turn around on that deal and trade Cp3 to another western conference team? Why? Cause dude wanted to be dealt to LA. And then dude did it again forcing his way to another western conference team having the cLips trade with Houston.

If AD wants LA...he'll find his way here one way or another. It's futile to think otherwise.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

that was then and this is now, we already seen Pop (leonard) and Sarver (Ariza) decisions in dealing with us.

abeer3 likes this.
  11. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

At the end of the day, AD is the one with all the power. He can tell New Orleans he is not signing his extension and if traded to another team (other then the Lakers) he will not resign. Of course that’s a big if and it didn’t work out with PG but PG isn’t AD. Davis is one of the only stars I’m willing to trade our kids for. San Antonio did not get equal trade for Kawhi and I don’t think New Orleans will either, whether they trade with us or not.

Toneloc and abeer3 like this.
  12. vasashi17

:This:

You wanna talk about then and now...look at what RC Buford's done as Spurs GM since he took over.

How many major trades did you see?

Out of those major trade(s), how many times has he traded with Western teams?

I'm not going to really look at how the Kawhi deal went down cause Buford literally has no history in dealing with us and other than the Kawhi trade (which was forced on him), he's never dealt with major trades that involved established names before.

And Sarver not trading Ariza (who wanted to come back to LA) to us isn't really in the same zip code of a AD trade demand.

First thing is first...Rich needs to get that demand submitted.

Cookie likes this.
  13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Same story, different player. Either you pony up the assets or it's just noise. As with the past player chases, I'm all in on trading whatever needs to be done to get the job done. Lebron and AD? Yea you will never have an issue filling out the roster next year....

Rondo, Lin, Cory Joseph, Seth Curry
    Korver (If contract not guaranteed), Ellington, Lance, JR Smith (If contract not guaranteed)
    Gerald Green, LRMAM, Demarre Carroll, Ariza
    Taj, Faried, Anderson (If contract not guaranteed), Ed Davis, Beasley
    Lopez bros, JaVale, Chandler, Gortat, Noel, Boban

We really gonna have an issue getting some of these guys? I don't think so. Trade away.

14. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yeah if the lakers were to land AD it would have to be a 3-way deal

no way a package like BI/Hart/couple 1st rounders would be enough for NO to accept. unfortunately with our luck we'd trade half the team for AD only for him to suffer a major injury in his lakers debut

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well yes, AD alone is worth more than our kids at face value, but as you know there's much more to it.

First, as a prerequisite of a trade, AD has to decline his super max, which puts the Pelicans in a weaker position. That alone lowers his value significantly. Think what the Spurs got for Kawhi, a player who is perceived as equal value to AD (Top 5 player in his early prime) They got Derozan. Unless you think all 4 of our kids are worth Derozan, we need to pump the brakes.

Second, unless AD signs an extension after the trade, we risk losing EVERYTHING. That's opposed to having our kids guaranteed for the next 6-7 years. I understand the impatience and anxiety of wanting to compete before Lebron regresses, but I get the eerie feeling of deja vu.... it's not too long ago that we paid the consequences of being too desperate trying to get the most out of Kobe's last years. Remember, for every Paul George trade, there's a Steve Nash and Dwight Howard trade. Trading 4 high lottery picks (ie BI, Zo, Kuz, Hart) is never a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    alam1108 and SamsonMiodek like this.
  16. vasashi17

I would approach it no differently tada!

I think everybody here wants to spare as many of our kiddies from the trade as possible. But I think folks are saying that IF it came to creating a godfather package then ours is just as competitive (if not more) than what Boston can offer.

We have cap space to absorb any bad deals the Pels wish to dump within an AD package, while the cbags have 4 potential draft picks to our 1 (although I've already detailed the limitations to those picks).

We got higher drafted players (Zo/BI are #2s while Tatum/Brown are #3s).

Terry Rozier isnt really a trade piece cause he's restricted and Boston would have to match and wait 3 months to trade him (unless both Rozier and NOP agree to a sign & trade...and that obviously has limitations of its own).

Horford and Hayward are distressed assets and if they're included in a package then alot of money is heading to Nawlins and that franchise actually lost money last year and are projected to be in the red again this year.

You obviously put out a respectable initial low-ball offer and hopefully get to the point where the deal breaker is either a Hart or Kuz being involved in a Bi/Zo package. But IF we really really want to win the bidding war, we have the assets to get it done....And IF it comes to that, I believe we should pull the trigger.

AD isn't a 38 yr old trade target like Nash was. He's had injuries in his past, but as of late AD has missed only 18 games out of a possible 204 games in the last 2.5 seasons.

And on that note:

Just bubble-wrap dude till we deal for him.

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  17. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

New If I am Anthony Davis, I NEVER demand a trade. Play hard, be a good teammate and respect the organization that has treated you well. If the Pelicans want to give him his extension when they do, respectfully decline and let them know, we aren't saying no, but we would like to test the market before we make a decision. It is something the organization will at least respect and he isnt strong arming them to send him somewhere.

In 19 months, he has the ability to come here free and clear, regardless if Lebron is declining or not. I really do not care. A 27 year old mega star hitting his prime is always good and the Lakers can add pieces or if they are lucky, at least one of the young guys becomes a legit 2 or 3. If that means we lose Lebron by a step or two, again, I do not care, the Lakers will figure out a way to build around AD, we shouldnt worry.

Lebron doesnt want to wait and I understand. However, I am a Laker fan first. f*** Lebron, I want Anthony Davis and the only way it works is if he stands pat for 19 months and then he will have the full right to make a decision on where to go. Going through this b******* with Kawhi and PG is over. f*** that.

Best case scenario would be the Pelicans knowing he isn't coming back and them going TO HIM and saying, look, we have a feeling you aren't coming back, we can trade you so we do not lose you for nothing. Then, everyone can figure out the best scenario there.

18. vasashi17

Ox, I'm shocked you, of all people, want to see such a cuddly fuzzy wuzzy outlook on this.

In this world, you really don't expect competitive individuals to strongarm their way into getting what they want? Really?

The supermax is a given this summer...yet dude canned his loyal longtime Nawlins based agent for Rich Paul. He did all that just to have Rich present in a photo op for the supermax contract signing...really?

You don't think there isn't a killer in this dude to go get what he wants...really?

Btw, they big mad haha...

Players can't tamper, guy. Haha. Demps must really believe in the LeGM hype.

OmarE, abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Players can be fined for tampering, they just usually aren’t. Players aren’t supposed to say things like LeBron said here, they can compliment other players of course, they can talk about them because that’s part of the job, but they really aren’t supposed to recruit if a player isn’t a free agent. They do, obviously, or the Heat team of 2011 and many others doesn’t happen, but it IS a rule. I could see the league fining us yet again for this because so much talk of the Lakers and AD is out there, but I can’t see them doing it to LeBron friggin James. It would to me, need to be a front office person, coach, or lesser known player.

sirronstuff and Khmrp like this.
  20. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

The comments were made because the 2 players we have discussed the last two seasons got shipped to the Serbia's of the NBA to avoid doing anything with the Lakers. Even if the Pelicans get the demand, they won't trade him to the Lakers. The league and all these loser f*** organizations try extra hard NOT to ever do anything to help the Lakers. I loathe David Stern and all those crying f*** owners who started this in 2011 with the veto.

Lebron came here in his own free will. He didnt demand a trade, kept everyone guessing and when free agency started, no one could stop him. That's the only way this works.

Unless Kawhi makes our lives easier and signs this summer.

Khmrp likes this.