"All you hear is Kobe's mouth."

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by TIME, Jul 16, 2015.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...lakers-all-you-hear-is-kobes-mouth/ar-AAd4frs

By Steve DelVecchio

The Indiana Pacers signed free agent center Jordan Hill on Tuesday, and it sounds like the 27-year-old won’t need as many aspirin with his new team as he did with his old one.

Hill went to the Lakers via trade a few years back and played 70 or more games in each of his last two seasons in Los Angeles. He became very familiar with Kobe Bryant during that time, and he spoke to reporters about that earlier this week.

“When he’s on the floor it’s like, all you hear is Kobe’s mouth,” Hill explained, per a video that Shane Young posted on Instagram. “On the floor, all you hear is Kobe’s mouth — during practice and games. He gets loud. A lot of people can’t handle it, I guess.”

Surprised? You shouldn’t be. Kobe takes practicing just as seriously as he takes games, which is one of the reasons he’s one of the best to ever play. There has even been video evidence of him berating teammates during practice.

While no one will ever question Bryant’s desire to win, it’s his strong personality and motormouth that have supposedly cost the Lakers free agents over the years. As Hill alluded to, some players don’t respond well to that.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Jordan didn't say HE couldn't handle it, but that some people can't. Steve's first sentence there is insinuating something different.

Either way, I'm not surprised but I don't care. There's too much lovey dovey in the NBA right now. You can't take someone talking to you? This is one of the greatest to ever play and you can't handle what he's got to say? Then you probably aren't strong enough to be a contributor to a ring. As soft as everyone has always said Pau is, Pau was Kobe's right hand man. If "soft" Pau can handle it, then why the hell couldn't anyone else? Go to Houston if you want a buddy. We want to win over here.

raviator, XXIV and five6two like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I read Hill's quote yesterday and thought it was funny. It's almost guaranteed to be true, and like real said, he said a lot of people can't handle it, he guesses. He never said it bothered him, doubt it did. Like most crappy writers though, this guy uses the quote to try and make a story of nothing.

five6two and therealdeal like this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Is this stuff even news anymore? This is not something I didn't already know...

5. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

It's a click bait title...

It's called communication.

6. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

i dont even take this as a bad thing or a diss...

7. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    "If you can't play with Kobe, we don't want you here."
    - Jeannie Buss

JSM, Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
  8. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

When I first read the quote on twitter I just shook my head. But reading the quote in full context, he didn't say anything bad or wrong. Anyone watching a Laker game can tell Kobe is really vocal.

9. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Likewise DelVecchio should title this piece "All you see in this title are the out of context words I want you to see"

Kobe doesn't even have to be in a game or at practice to start berating players, hell he used to discuss shipping people's arses out in store parking lots with regular people, be happy he's telling you to your face @ practice or in-game so you can adjust and improve.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

They will all be sorry when Kobe retires.

Battle Tested20 and therealdeal like this.
  11. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Well do you want your leader to be quiet and not say anything? I swear writers just love to take things out of context and bash the Lakers and Kobe whenever possible.

12. The Showtime Mamba

The Showtime Mamba - Lakers 6th Man -

That's the sound of leadership and championship an anathema to people like Dwight Howard. I guarantee that is who Hill was referring to as I can recall Howards lame Kobe impressions in the locker room.

I also think people like Dwight consider analytics to be counting their touches and pointing to a stat sheet. It's all about the steaming pile of Dwigt.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. five6two

five6two - Rookie -

Some sleazy writers will try to twist most quotes around in order to make a story about it. I think this says more about the guy writing the article than Hill's quote about Kobe.

14. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Sorry but I cannot agree with that statement.

Imagine your boss at work would constantly remind you, how much better he is and how much you suck. I know for a fact that my boss knows better than I do and I know he earns 5 times as much money, deservedly. But never once has he been disrespectful to me and I really appreciate it. Even when I do something wrong, he would tell me why and how I should have done it but would never yell at me or something. Does that mean I'm soft? no. Does that mean my boss is soft? no. It means we value a certain way of doing things.

Respect is one of the most desired values on earth. Old school or not, you don't get people going by yelling at them. This has never been a good recipe for success. I'm also sure Kobe doesn't always just cuss the hell out of these guys. You have to give the young guys trust and be patient and let them enough room to breath and fail and learn from it.

15. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

just an example of click bait, BS journalism at its finest

hill's basically saying what we all know but the journalist is trying to make it sound like he's taking a shot at kobe. move along folks

16. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

FAs don't want to play with Kobe because he's well past his prime not because he's a jerk ...

If it still was 2008 , Kobe's "antics" wouldn't matter

17. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Completely different environment. Can't compare sports to the office.

18. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    to cultivate good manners, it really doesn't metter whether you are in an office or on the court.

On the court, of course there will be more "yelling" than in the office....and I don't think people bother with that. As long as its respectful, honest and appreciative, its fine.
    But if it turns into bullying, then its something that players don't like. First and foremost they are PEOPLE, not players.

thkthebest likes this.
  19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

First of all Kobe isn't his boss. Different situation. This would be the equivalent of a person in the office who'd been there forever telling the younger crowd how much better he is than them. That happens all the time. The younger guys probably aren't always happy with it. The best employees embrace it. They say "You're right. Help me get better."

If you can't handle Kobe ribbing you, then go away. Jordan was the same way. In some respects Magic was the same way if you didn't bust your butt on the floor. If you can't handle the pressure of a guy ribbing you in practice, how are you going to handle the pressure of the Finals? Are you going to be comfortable taking the last shot? Fisher, Artest, Gasol, and countless other small time role players have loved playing with Kobe. His intensity (which includes this motor mouth) drives the team.

Respect is earned, not given. Bird and Magic and Kareem and Jordan and Russell will respect the hell out of you as long as you perform.

20. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -