2024/2025 Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by pika1708, Jun 28, 2024 at 9:07 AM.

1. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Thought this will be a common thread during the next weeks

Current Roster (17)

DLo (PO) | Gabe | Dinwiddie (UFA) | JHS
    Reaves | Knecht | Max | Bronny
    Vando | Prince (UFA) | Reddish (PO) | Lewis
    LeBron | Rui
    AD | Hayes (PO) | Wood

There's only 15 roster spots

Prince is gone
    DLo or Dinwiddie, we can't keep both
    We have 3 guys with guaranteed spots on JHS, Lewis and Bronny who likely won't contribute.
    AD, Bron, Reaves, Rui, Vando, Gabe, Knecht, Max and DLo/Dinwiddie are our core rotation (9 guys).

For each addition to the squad we need to lose Hayes, Wood, Reddish and maybe one or two of the 3 kids. We may have to pay 2nd rounds just to empty roster spots.

Would Hornets accept JHS + Wood for Nick Richards?

alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Oh boy, it's been awhile...

Gabe, JHS, Bronny
    Reaves
    Vando, Max Lewis, Knecht
    Lebron, Rui
    AD, Wood

I'm assuming Reddish and Hayes are gonna opt in.
    I would have brought Prince back but kind of iffy on it now after drafting Knecht.
    Would like Dinwiddie back for a back up PG role.
    Bringing Max Christie is a must.
    Would like DLo to opt in so we can use that salary for a trade but with the roster crunch it might be better for him to walk and open up the MLE(?) for us.

Willing to package out Gabe, JHS, Rui and Wood for PG/C improvements.
    Gabe and Rui for Schroder and DFS? JHS for Nick Richards? Split the MLE(?) between Dinwiddie and Christie

Schroder, Dinwiddie, Bronny
    Reaves, Christie, Reddish
    Vando, Knecht, Lewis
    Lebron, DFS, Wood
    AD, Richards, Hayes

Thats far from a sexy roster but new CBA rules and crazy trade market might limit us a lot.

abeer3 likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

note that we don't use MLE on christie. there are situations where there could be conflict between using mle and re-signing christie, but we won't need to use it on him.

if i'm assuming that trades for guys like jerami grant and dejounte murray are out (and i pretty much am), then moving rui for stewart and 2nd rounders, letting dlo walk, and using the mle to sign tobias harris. then move gabe/vando/jhs for DFS/schroder (riffing on above). dinwiddie takes vet min for the early bird rights and a guarantee of big minutes?

dinwiddie/schroder/bronny
    reaves/christie/lewis
    harris/DFS/knecht
    lebron/wood
    AD/stewart

i *think* that keeps us out of apron trouble? i'm guessing max is 2/14 with a player option on year 2 in this scenario.

i actually have too many ideas right now. as some things start getting sorted out, it will be easier. not knowing what dlo, reddish, and hayes are doing makes it hard for me to game it out.

alam1108 likes this.
  4. pika1708

We're in the 1st apron so we can't get more salary than we give (so Richards for JHS) wouldn't work.

@abeer3 yeah, it's still too soon to make projections, too many chips to fall, starting with those 3 (4 with Bron) POs.

I think Cam and Hayes know that if they pick them up, they're likely being traded some place, which can be bad for them. They aren't guaranteed to stay in the league so they would benefit from controlling where they land next year instead of spending a season at the end of the bench of some random team.
    I bet their agent has already scouted the market, so if they pick up the PO is because there's no takers available and they want to secure the (mini)bag and figure it out later.

I see value in Hayes as the 3rd center, but Wood picked up his option already so I would be fine with Wood on that role too, although preferring Hayes

alam1108 likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think wood's shown he's a 4, not a 5. i'd honestly try him at 3 before the 5 again, lol. wood's an extremely poor man's AD.

6. showtime24

showtime24 - Rookie -

As of right now (Assuming Lebron, Dlo, Hayes, and Wood opt-in):

PG: Russell / Vincent / JHS
    SG: Reaves/ Knecht / Bronny
    SF: Vanderbilt / Christie / Lewis
    PF: James/ Hachimura/ Reddish
    C: Davis / Wood / Hayes

Roster is currently full, and projected payroll is $189,409,499 with Max Christie theoretically signing a deal starting at 7 million. (A hair under the second apron of $189,485,000). Consolidation trades should be done to address this and other needs. Lebron also could take a haircut, but unlikely. This roster did not change much from last season, but the Lakers were terrific with a healthy Vando in the starting lineup. The bench also gets a boost with Knecht and Christie. Knecht could be in ROTY and/or 6th man of the year consideration and Christie will finely get playing time. Also hopefully Gabe and Wood are healthy now.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. pika1708

Yeah I don't like Wood at 5 either

I was thinking regarding Cam and Hayes. Any team willing to give him a contract this offseason would rather let him pick up the PO and collect a 2nd rounder or two rather than signing him as a FA

abeer3 likes this.