2022-23 Team Developments: News / Trades / Free Agents / Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by BangBoomPow, Jun 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

We'd still have around the same record. Those cats were here last year defending their way to the play in game. LOL..Throw in the cerebral Marc Gasol and Dennis the menace to boot. Must have been a coaching problem eh?

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no, we'd have about 6 more wins and be firmly in the playoffs, and we'd have TONS of trade options. instead of, you know, none.

3. Slick2021

6 wins? Who knows? Some of them could have missed time just like their replacements and the record could be worse..What upgrade options?.we couldn't give those guys away last season. Washington declined that trade twice. Frankly I don't think we need a trade, we need AD back and healthy more than anything.

4. Slick2021

When you think about it...we had all those guys, let's add Kief to it too. Yet we still finished in the play in game. Maybe Vogel is the problem. It kind of makes sense why we dragged our feet on his extension.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

good lord.

Toneloc and lakerjones like this.
  6. Slick2021

You have all the answers...Explain it then. Last year's bunch was soo superior, why couldn't we do better than the play in game. They weren't hurt and missing tons of games. What happened?

7. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

What are you talking about? AD missed HALF the season. Literally HALF! That’s why we ended up in the play in. And we were up 2 to 1 on the Suns and kicking their butts until he went down again. We were on our way to the Finals again. Vogel deserves some blame this year but last year we had the number one rated D in the league with AD out half a season.

Juronimo, Weezy, D-Fish Man and 4 others like this.
  8. Slick2021

So? He's missed half of this one but the players are the problem. That is my point...if we had all these superior players last season and we could only get to the playin game because AD was hurt. How can it be said that this roster is so flawed when AD is hurt? Maybe the coach isn't getting the most out of what he has to work with? Two seasons in a row?

9. Slick2021

The supporting cast didn't miss all these games like this year's bunch, or had to gell with 12 new players either. Yet they still only managed to get to the play in game. I would like somebody to point out what made them soo superior. This group is still at 500 inspite of all these flaws and ill fitting players. Lebron and AD have played 3 consecutive games with Westbrook all season.

10. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Lakers missing LeBron and/or AD the last two years for extended periods of time have ruined them. All this other stuff is the working parts not working because the team is set up to have those two playing regularly.

That's ultimately the problem.

abeer3, Slick2021 and lakerjones like this.
  11. lakerjones

Thank you.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Do you agree or disagree that it is easier to trade 10 or 20 million dollar contract players then a player making 44 million? There are a ton more options that a team can make happen.

D-Fish Man, abeer3 and NickthaQuick like this.
  13. Slick2021

The number one rated defense doesn't mean anything to me..that's another point. We still finished in the play in game and went out in the 1st round. The Knicks had a top ranked defense too and got bounced in the first round. Defense is not some magic elixir. You have to be able to score in this league too. Especially in the playoffs.

14. Slick2021

I don't think a trade needs to be made at all. As for Kuz, KCP last season, we shopped them all year and couldn't move them for anything of worth. So it's not like it's that simple because they were on cheaper contracts. Getting back trash doesn't help the situation any. We had to offer a 1st rd pick just for Buddy Hield.

15. lakerjones

I might have to put you on ignore if you continue to argue for arguing’s sake. You know very well why we ended up in 7th place and why we got knocked out by the Suns after beating the tar out of them to go up 2 to 1. It’s because AD went down not because of coaching. Vogel did a pretty admirable job to stay at the top of the leagues defense without AD for half the season.

Juronimo and abeer3 like this.
  16. Slick2021

Now for the rare occasion I totally agree with OX. I just wanted to pull out these "the roster is too flawed for Frank" folks.

17. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

My question was not whether you thought we needed a trade. My question is whether in general terms it is easier to trade a guy making 10 or 15 million vs a guy making 44 million and if so does that give the team more options.

abeer3 likes this.
  18. Slick2021

No. I'm not arguing for arguing sake at all. I thought that team should have done better without AD, because we had Lebron and a core that just won a chip, and added two top sixth men who were known for providing an offensive punch. I though that team underachieved. Frank underachieved. This year I was more inclined to give Vogel a break because, there are 12 new guys, Lebron and AD have missed a lot of these games, Nunn is still out. Yet the more I watch, the more it seems to me that Frank could be doing more with what he has this year too. Perhaps it might actually be Vogel that's a big part of the problem. I'm rather nonplussed about the defense stuff as I pointed out. I don't think that was the main reason we won the chip and losing close is still losing.

19. Slick2021

Of course the lower the salary the easier it is to make a trade. The thing is..we could have traded those guys rather easily, but the FO didn't consider the return worth the trade. That's why they didn't get moved.

Cookie likes this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

they were up on phoenix before AD went down and i'm pretty confident saying they would have won that series had he not gotten injured

i agree that you still have to score to win games, but it's not like russ has helped much in that aspect. of all the offseason adds, only melo and monk have contributed to the scoring more often than not. if they had kept last season's team mostly intact and just made a few moves to bring in some shooters/wings, this team would no doubt still be a title contender

Cookie, alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.