The Trade That Wasn't: Kg To La

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, May 18, 2015.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

John3:16 and lakerjones like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah our offer was definitely better. Ainge and Lurch obviously colluded. What a different world we'd live in huh?

Kobe and Garnett on the same squad. No bail out for Boston on their 20+ year drought. We never would have gotten Pau. We never would have seen All-Star Bynum in LA.

I wonder do we figure out a way for Kobe and Garnett to win more than two rings? Lamar and Bynum were huge for our eventual Championships.

In the end I'm glad it didn't happen. Boston only got one and we got two. Suck it jerks. Suck it KG.

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I think we would've had at least one more trophy -- I think KG's leadership and laser focus at least buys you that much.

Hate him or...hate him, KG is one of the most intense, focused and determined individuals in the sport. Pau was much easier to like, but was often GaSoft. KG or his team has never been soft. With what Kobe and KG would command from the other 10 guys, I think that would've been something special. The D of Kobe, KG, and Ron Ron (assuming he still came here) would've been nasty.

4. therealdeal

Oh I agree. I think they win at least one. I just wonder if we win two before Kob' and KG hit the wall. I think in some ways they'd feed off each other and maybe we get one of the fiercest duos in league history, but that fire could also burn them out faster. After about 2010 KG fell off a wagon or was hit by one it seemed like. Kobe has been literally falling apart for years now. I wonder if that changes? I wonder if it even speeds up a bit.

5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

A Kobe and KG pairing would have led to a second 3-peat.

6. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

McHale was also involved when Minnesota refused to trade Gugliotta to the Lakers previously. Those chain of events are similar.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

We definitley win in 2008 in this alternate universe. 2009 and beyond depends on if KG gets hurt like he did in Boston.

If he stayed healthy, I could definetly see a three peat (08,09,10)

Another factor here is, do we still trade for Pau?

8. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I was all on board for Garnett. I really wanted that to happen and was really bummed that it didn't. But boy am I glad it didn't. KG turned into such a jerk and Pau was one of my favorite Lakers until his weird disappearing act after our back to back championships. I'm not sure we would have gotten two with KG considering all his health problems, plus he was such a kook that I don't think I could've rooted for him anymore. I always loved him on Minny, but man, when he went to the C Bags he just became a total douche. I had no problem rooting for Pau who was just a great person.

9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I think we try. None of the players are the same. Then again, KG may have murdered Kwame 10 games into the season.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i think we win in 08 for sure

but in 09 and 10? not sure. who knows the team that kobe and KG would have had around them. i'm sure it would be a different cast compared to the 09 and 10 teams. i also highly doubt they still try to land pau if they acquired KG. but that would mean that we'd still have marc gasol and his presence along with kobe and KG could have been a key factor in a potential 3-peat from 08-10

in the end, frankenstein no doubt did his old team a solid in dealing KG there but those losers only got one title out of it while we got two. i remember being bummed out when we missed out on KG but i'm glad we got pau instead instead of that big jerk

11. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

KG and Kobe would have 3peated imo. At least, 2peat. Kobe/Garnett/Pau? Even if we didn't trade for Pau, we'd have Marc, correct? That defense would have been so good.

Also, imagine Garnett setting those illegal screens for Kobe and giving him all that space.

12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

If we acquired Pau with giving LO and Bynum straight up, we would have used Kwame and draft considerations to surround that team with better depth or acquire another star in Gasol. That's the way Mitch works...

13. gcclaker

^What might have been if Garnett instead of L.O.? Then having Gasol along? It would not have been a fair fight with the rest of The League. Question is how long would Garnett [an alpha himself] have cow-tow to 24? It might have worked for awhile but eventually they'd probably get on each other's nerves. Jackson would have to deal with the same scenario like the O'Neal-Bryant pairing.

14. therealdeal

Wow didn't even think of that. If we don't trade for Pau, we keep Marc. He started off in Memphis at 12/7.5/1.7 with 1.1 blocks per game in 08/09.

We'd have Kobe/Garnett/M. Gasol instead of Kobe/Bynum/P. Gasol.

The defense would be effing amazing with that first unit. I think eventually we could move M. Gasol for Pau Gasol anyway. By all accounts Marc is a laid back dude. I don't know that he'd get along with what would be a complete dragon in Kobe/Garnett.

15. LaVarBallsDad

That's why Phil is there to begin with...:). If he could handle Bryant/Shaq, then he could have handled Garnett/Bryant, and that's speculating there would even be a problem between the two, which I don't think their would be at all. Garnett didn't have the same problems has Shaq did with Kobe; Shaq's problems with Kobe stemmed from not putting the work in; in the off-season, Kobe and Shaq's ego, etc. Garnett didn't have those issues.

The potential problem with a Kobe/Garnett pairing is how it would grate on other teammates. Garnett and Kobe could be relentless and their type of leadership style could eventually wear on those they play with; that's where Fisher and P.J. would have to balance that. Either way, you give me Gasol/Garnett/Kobe, we win at least 2 rings.

16. gcclaker

^I recall Garnett commenting that 24 did try to recruit him as the former had a house out here in Manhattan Beach [?]. Garnett balked as he had reservations about Laker management given the tumultuous summer before when Bryant voiced his displeasure loudly wanting to play on Pluto and all that.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

Yeah, that probably wouldn't have stopped the trade if McHale didn't decide to go into another direction. He could voice his displeasure all the way to Los Angeles unless he would have had a no trade clause in his contract. Something tells me, once Garnett heard about the trade to Los Angeles and playing with Kobe, he'd forget about what he said and give it a shot. What would ensue would be a lot of winning, and he'd soon forget what he said...

18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Kobe/KG/Marc would three-peat most likely.

Here is one of my old sigs, when we were looking for any and every star to come play with the Lakers:

[​IMG]

That did not happen, obviously. But this one did:

[​IMG]

LTLakerFan and thkthebest like this.
  19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Fixed. I think.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.