Presidential Election Aftermath: What Now / What Next?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by davriver209, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

"
    Excerpts of Hillary Clinton’s Paid Speeches to Goldman Sachs Finally Leaked

EXCERPTS OF HILLARY Clinton’s remarks during paid speeches to Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley, and other groups wereleaked online Friday afternoon by WikiLeaks. Clinton, who was paid upwards of $225,000 per speech, earned more than $22 million on the paid speaking circuit after resigning as secretary of state.

The excerpts are revealed in an email from Tony Carrk, the research director of the Clinton campaign, to John Podesta, the campaign chairman, and other top campaign officials. Carrk, who did not respond to a request for comment, highlighted in the memo the most politically damaging quotes from each paid speech, under headers including “CLINTON ADMITS SHE IS OUT OF TOUCH,” “CLINTON SAYS YOU NEED TO HAVE A PRIVATE AND PUBLIC POSITION ON POLICY,” and “CLINTON REMARKS ARE PRO KEYSTONE AND PRO TRADE.”

The wealth Clinton accumulated was a topic at the paid events.

Discussing middle class economic anxieties, Clinton told a crowd at a Goldman Sachs-sponsored speech that she is now “kind of far removed because the life I’ve lived and the economic, you know, fortunes that my husband and I now enjoy, but I haven’t forgotten it.”

But the discussions were also an opportunity for Clinton to speak candidly about policy, politics, and her approach to governing.

Touching on her view of developing financial regulations, Clinton declared to a crowd of Goldman Sachs bankers that in order to “figure out what works,” the “people that know the industry better than anybody are the people who work in the industry.”

At the Goldman Sachs Builders and Innovators Summit, Clinton responded to a question from chief executive Lloyd Blankfein, who quipped that you “go to Washington” to “make a small fortune.” Clinton agreed with the comment and complained about ethics rules that require officials to divest from certain assets before entering government. “There is such a bias against people who have led successful and/or complicated lives,” Clinton said.

At a speech for Morgan Stanley on April 18, 2013, Clinton praised the Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction plan — which would reduce corporate tax rates while raising the Social Security age. “But Simpson-Bowles — and I know you heard from Erskine earlier today — put forth the right framework. Namely, we have to restrain spending, we have to have adequate revenues, and we have to incentivize growth. It’s a three-part formula,” she said.

Clinton also told a housing trade group in 2013 that on certain issues, she has “a public and a private position.” “If everybody’s watching, you know, all of the back room discussions and the deals, you know, then people get a little nervous, to say the least,” said Clinton. “So, you need both a public and a private position.”

The Intercept was the first media outlet to ask Clinton directly if she would release the transcripts of her paid speeches to Goldman Sachs. When approached at an event in Manchester, New Hampshire, Clinton laughed off the question.

The issue was raised again during the Democratic primary debates and in other media events. In February of this year, the New York Times editorial board called for Clinton to release her speech transcripts, declaring that voters “have every right to know what Mrs. Clinton told these groups.”

According to reports, the campaign reviewed the speech transcripts but decided against releasing them out of fear that she would appear too friendly to banks and other donor interest groups.

But there are signs in the emails released by WikiLeaks that she also took a fairly progressive stance on certain topics, including health care reform.

During a talk in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 2013, Clinton praised the single-payer model for health care reform. “If you look at the single-payer systems, like Scandinavia, Canada, and elsewhere, they can get costs down because, you know, although their care, according to statistics, overall is as good or better on primary care,” she said, adding that there were some drawbacks. “They do impose things like waiting times, you know.”

But during the campaign this year, she dismissed the idea, declaring that single payer will “never, ever” happen in the U.S. Audio obtained by The Intercept last week showed Clinton dismissing the concept of free health care during another private event with donors."

https://theintercept.com/2016/10/07...aid-speeches-to-goldman-sachs-finally-leaked/

Savory Griddles and John3:16 like this.
  2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    @Barnstable you know how much I despise Obama. I rarely agree with anything he does. I'd take 4 more years of him over Hillary or Trump.

I'm seriously scared for our country.

Savory Griddles and Barnstable like this.
  3. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Oh yea, in regards to her Wall St speeches.... I find the timing of the Trump audio to be more than a coincidence. Both are appalling. Only one will see a dip in the polls.

And the sheep went "baaaa."

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I find the self righteous indignation of all the Republicans and Democrats (especially the males) worse than the comments Trump made. Most men have said some pretty crude things about women when in the company of other men. Women say nasty things about men when they're hanging with their girls. Is it right? No. But that type of thing is pretty normal. If he went up and said it now, I'd be scratching my head as to how he could be so stupid, but this was over a decade ago when he was trying to convey a different image then the one he is trying to now. Not making excuses for Trump. The Republican voters that pushed him through the primaries are idiots for believing that this sort of thing wasn't going to happen before the election.

revgen, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  5. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
  6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    ^^^ Lena is a self-admitted child molester. And the Left loves her.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. He's not a great candidate and sometimes I wonder what he's focusing on. Every politician has lapses in concentration, but I wonder if he ever concentrates at all in his interviews.

I do however agree more with his policies than either main stream candidate. I trust him more than either main stream candidate. I'm voting for him basically until there's some inexplicable reason not to (i.e. he's actually a KKK member, a drug/human trafficker, or some other such thing).

John3:16 likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

She is a vile person (well, they both are) but speaking of Lena, she also accused Odell Beckham Jr. of thinking she was ugly because he didn't talk to her at a function. When talking about a man who raped her, she allowed the wrong man to twist in the wind for months until people proved he wasn't even on campus at the time. She's one of those despicable people that needs to forget to look both ways before crossing the street.

9. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Interesting debate to say the least.

God help us.

IMO, considering where Trump was prior to the debate, I thought he won tonight.

Not enough to get him the White House. But he lives to fight another day.

10. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Aug 2012 - Obama drew red line on Syria

Jan 2013 - Hillary left State Dept.

She lied.

11. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I've been leaning towards voting Johnson as a protest vote, but kept an open mind towards possibly voting Trump. I acknowledge that the recent video leak probably is a deliberate distraction from the left. But regardless, everything about those vulgar comments and Trump's reaction towards them has me disgusted. Johnson pretty much has my vote locked up.

With that said, I think Trump clearly won the debate tonight. Before tonight, everyone was talking about him possibly dropping out. But he was able to deflect from the video and did a great job at attacking Hillary on her scandals without coming across like a lunatic like the first debate. But Van Jones on CNN had the same analysis my dad did, and they may be right. Hillary won because Trump won. Trump did well enough to stay afloat, but that's good for Hillary. The GOP's best chance may have been to have Trump implode and remove him from the ticket.

Savory Griddles and John3:16 like this.
  12. therealdeal

The GOP is almost dead. If the Libertarians can find someone with even a modicum of a charisma, they're going to slide in as the 2nd party eventually.

Last night Trump very clearly won the debate. It's easy to forget given Trump's lunacy at times how many people hate Hillary and how just because Trump is unqualified, Hillary is ill suited for the job too. I thought he did a great job of continuing to point out her flaws and problems. He voiced all the concerns that the American people have of her as a candidate. Unfortunately he's not smart enough to also point out his own plans and he's too uncouth to attack her in a political way that doesn't come across as outright bullying. That being said he has almost no chance at the White House. I think a strong GOP candidate could have won this election, but there doesn't seem to be one of those anymore. Honestly Pence might win the election over Hillary. Rubio might have had a shot.

I thought it was fascinating how Hillary handled being called out to her face repeatedly on a stage where she couldn't shy away from the facts. She did every bit as much deflecting as Trump and when he continued to needle her she started losing her cool. She started interrupting him, slinging mud, and then she ended the debate on a transparently nasty note while Trump actually complimented her. Fascinating dynamics at play.

Anyone else notice Trump's ridiculously long tie?

revgen and John3:16 like this.
  13. Savory Griddles

While I agree in theory, it's too late for the Republicans to replace him at this point. Ballots have already gone out to some people. What do you do with the Trump votes that have already been counted? The Republicans are screwed. If you try to embrace Trump these final few weeks, you set yourself up for backlash in future elections. If you distance yourself from him, you may lose all the Trump supporters for good.

I think Real might be right that the future is a Republican/Libertarian hybrid party that will evolve out of this mess. Just get someone better than Gary Johnson. These foreign policy gaffes he's made are sort of indicative of why people don't take third parties seriously. It's almost as if he is the cardboard cutout they put up there to protest, but he doesn't bother actually learning anything because he knows he has 0% chance of winning. I mean, if there was EVER an election where a third party could come in and really make noise, this could have been it. Ordinarily, a Libertarian would take mostly Republican votes. Democrats dislike Hillary so much, a viable Libertarian candidate could have take votes from both people.

14. therealdeal

Absolutely. People are ravenous for a viable candidate besides these two. It's the entire reason for Trump's existence on the ticket instead of Rubio or Cruz. Heck people hate Hillary so much that Trump is still getting a percentage of the vote despite the fact he's basically proven to be an unfit candidate.

15. Savory Griddles

The Republican party needs to start looking at Rand Paul for help rather than looking at him like the Black Sheep his father was always viewed as. You just had Donald F---ing Trump ride roughshod over every single one of your candidates. Stop thinking of making gradual shifts and start taking decisive action. There are millions and millions of Americans who HATE the Democratic party, so you serve us up Ted Cruz?

therealdeal likes this.
  16. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

The RNC is done. There issues run deeper than Trump and are rooted in decisions made by Nixon and Regan in post civil rights act America. The Dems are just as corrupt and lost but they have a much better PR game. If the libertarians would have ran anyone other than this pot head or say a pro life guy they could have won the election

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  17. Savory Griddles

I agree. Find a charismatic, pro-life Libertarian candidate that is ideally of Hispanic decent. I realize it's easier said than done, but that kind of combination would have crushed in this election.

I think you're right about the pro-life thing too. Libertarians being non-committal on that is too far a leap for a lot of conservatives. I think if the Libertarian party could take a more pro-life stance, it might make the Republican party obsolete.

18. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I agree the RNC is done, at the Presidential level.

Dems would be too if they didn't control the media.

Revolution is coming.

therealdeal and Barnstable like this.
  19. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    All i got from last nights debate was hillaryclinton.com. it would be nice somehow both of these idiots would be replaced with somebody who are actually more competent and not a real live version of monty burns with a combover or freaking ursula

20. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

"
    Breaking: DNC Chief Donna Brazile Leaked Sanders Info to Clinton Campaign
    WikiLeaks hack reveals DNC's favoritism as Clinton staff in damage control over Hillary's support for DOMA
    By Michael Sainato • 10/10/16 2:47pm
    Wikileaks released part two of their emails from Clinton campaign chair John Podesta.

Friday, Wikileaks released their first batch of Podesta’s emails, which included excerpts from Clinton’s Wall Street transcripts that reaffirmed why Clinton refused to release them in full. During the second presidential debate, Clinton confirmed their authenticity by attempting to defend one statement she made in the speech about having a public and private stance on political issues. She cited Abraham Lincoln, a defense comparable to her ridiculous invocation of 9/11 when pressed on her ties to Wall Street during a Democratic primary debate.

The latest release reveals current DNC chair Donna Brazile, when working as aDNC vice chair, forwarded to the Clinton campaign a January 2016 email obtained from the Bernie Sanders campaign, released by Sarah Ford, Sanders’ deputy national press secretary, announcing a Twitter storm from Sanders’ African-American outreach team. “FYI” Brazile wrote to the Clinton staff. “Thank you for the heads up on this Donna,” replied Clinton campaign spokesperson Adrienne Elrod.

The second batch of emails include more evidence of collusion between the mainstream media and Clinton Campaign.

One email, received by prolific Clinton donor Haim Saban, was forwarded to Clinton staff, praising the friendly moderators in the early March 2016 Democratic primary debate co-hosted by Univision in Florida. “Haim, I just wanted to tell you that I thought the moderators for last nights Debate were excellent. They were thoughtful, tough and incisive. I thought it made Hilary appear direct and strong in her resolve. I felt it advanced our candidate. Thanks for Univision,” wrote Rob Friedman, former co-chair of the Motion Picture Group.

Another email discusses planting a favorable Clinton story in The New York Times in March 2015. “NYT heroine. Should she call her today?” Podesta wrote to other Clinton campaign staffers with the subject line ‘Laura Donohoe.’ “I do think it’s a great idea! We can make it happen,” replied Huma Abedin. The story they referred to is likely “In New Hampshire, Clinton Backers Buckle Up,” published in The New York Times on March 12, 2015 about Laura Donahoe, a retired nurse and Clinton supporter in New Hampshire.

John Harwood, New York Times contributor and CNBC correspondent, regularly exchanged emails with Podesta—communicating more as a Clinton surrogate than a journalist.

In an October 2015 email thread, Clinton staff were in damage control over Hillary’s support for the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which defined marriage as between a man and a woman. Hillary Clinton would not disavow her support for it. “I’m not saying double down or ever say it again. I’m just saying that she’s not going to want to say she was wrong about that, given she and her husband believe it and have repeated it many times. Better to reiterate evolution, opposition to DOMA when court considered it, and forward looking stance.”

Former Clinton Foundation director, Darnell Strom of the Creative Artist Agency, wrote a condescending email to Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard after she resigned from the DNC to endorse Bernie Sanders, which he then forwarded to Clinton campaign staff. “For you to endorse a man who has spent almost 40 years in public office with very few accomplishments, doesn’t fall in line with what we previously thought of you. Hillary Clinton will be our party’s nominee and you standing on ceremony to support the sinking Bernie Sanders ship is disrespectful to Hillary Clinton,” wrote Strom.

A memo sent from Clinton’s general counsel, Marc Elias of the law firm Perkins Coie, outlined legal tricks to circumvent campaign finance laws to raise money in tandem with Super Pacs.

In a March 2015 email, Clinton Campaign manager Robby Mook expressed frustration DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz hired a Convention CEO without consulting the Clinton campaign, which suggests the DNC and Clinton campaign regularly coordinated together from the early stages of the Democratic primaries.
    "

http://observer.com/2016/10/breakin...zile-leaked-sanders-info-to-clinton-campaign/