Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Something has to be brewing behind the scenes. A couple years ago fox had no TV rights to use the X-men or mutants and Marvel comics killed the FF and seemed to push for Inhumans over mutants. Now, Fox has several TV shows out there with many more in production, FF is back, and X-Men are getting a focus again...

therealdeal likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I truly truly hope that's what has happened.

3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I've lost track of all the comic book shows coming out. I feel like it's going to be too much.

Kingsama likes this.
  4. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

agreed... its too much and we are headed to oversaturation and the quality of the MCU shows has been slipping.

5. therealdeal

Iron Fist was definitely a slip, but other shows have been highly rated. Agents of SHIELD is a vastly underrated show at this point. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage were all well received critically (even though LC had major problems). People loved Legion.

As for the "rights" thing... I'm really hoping that Marvel was able to trade away all mutant rights for all FF rights. Screw the X-Men, let them thrive in their separate universe. Give Marvel everything else and let Marvel use those properties to tell their own stories. All the studios benefit from good products and FF in Marvel is a great, great product. I do think there's a lot of smoke to Marvel maybe having that property back too. Marvel is coy with what comes after Thanos because I think they're going to tackle the multi-verse and the latest Secret Wars story line. I think they're going to introduce FF and Doom and hell they could even tie in FOX's X-Men as a "separate universe" where the Avengers don't exist as a fun easter egg to fans of both franchises.

I'm really hopeful. I was hopeful that they would have some sort of easter egg at the end of Guardians.

Kingsama and Barnstable like this.
  6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Daredevil and Legion are the benchmarks IMO.

My concern is that the Marvel universe is so fractured in style right now with Legion being a totally different aesthetic, that alternate universes might be the only explanation left for anything concerning the X-Men. Legion is set in a really weird alternate reality that looks 1960s/1970s in style, but with modern sci-fi tech. IMO they need to follow the Legion aesthetic that is pretty similar to X-Men First Class for all the X-Men properties, and follow the Avengers aesthetic they used for all the other Marvel properties....

but then you have Deadpool.

7. therealdeal

You think variety is a problem instead of an asset? I feel like the variety is good to have to appeal to a wider audience, no?

8. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

That is my hope too. I can't see marvel just giving away all these tv rights for fun or for "money" that just doesn't make sense.

As for the slip, I don't think that will happen again with Netflix shows, fiege and Netflix don't play that. BUT as much as I liked parts of AoS, other parts are just silly. AND the show runner for Iron Fist is now the show runner for Inhumans. Add to that ABC family and there are some cracks in the armor. I hope it all turns out well, but the more shows they get out there, the harder it is to maintain cohesion. I hope it works great, but I wont be surprised if Inhumans is a mess too.

Any word on The Runaway's is MCU or not?

Barnstable likes this.
  9. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I think they're going to have a hard time with continuity because of it.

Not so much of a gripe as a concern

Kingsama likes this.
  10. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I think the variety of tone, and genre of the FILMS does very well. And I think the a variety of tone for the Netflix shows helps. BUT when you start getting drastically different audiences, like AoS's monster of the week network feel, or perhaps Cloak n Daggers O.C. teeny bopper feel, you could really get in some trouble fast.

Barnstable likes this.
  11. therealdeal

Agents of SHIELD is really not at all a Monster of the Week show anymore. It hasn't been that since half-way through the first season. The last two seasons of the show have been really good and this last season has had some (and I don't say this lightly) great television moments. Aida realizing human emotions for the first time? Oh man. Great fun to watch.

I feel like it's a little early to judge on Cloak and Dagger. I don't know what that show is about... But I honestly don't see the harm in variety with these tv shows. Cloak and Dagger, if it appeals to pre-teen girls, hits an audience that I'm not sure Marvel TV has a lot of. Agents of SHIELD appeals to a nerd like me. I've been trying to find all the episodes of Legion, but it tested really well with all audiences and that's good no matter what.

As it is, Marvel's Inhumans and Agents of SHIELD's 5th season both got the death slot on ABC so they'll be short-lived. I get the feeling Marvel and ABC are divesting from each other soon anyway.

Savory Griddles, Kenzo and TIME like this.
  12. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    AoS had some amazing moments this season. Easily the best season yet.

13. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

interesting, I stopped watching right before Ada's story got up and running as I felt it was super boring... Might have to catch up.

14. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Plus the Ghost Rider is back...
    ;-).

Barnstable, therealdeal and TIME like this.
  15. alam1108

Ada has been the best thing for this show since the Winter Soldier aftermath.
    Introduction for the Inhumans was promising but then just fell off a cliff, probably because of the upcoming show/movie(?). Ghost Rider has been an odd addition as well though I do like his CGI.

Barnstable and therealdeal like this.
  16. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    You should Sama. They did some really good stuff with Aida, Fitz, Fitz's Dad, Mack and his daughter, Coulson, and even Ward.

Barnstable, Kenzo and therealdeal like this.
  17. therealdeal

That whole arc was so well executed. I thought it was lightyears better than Ghost Rider's was (mostly because I didn't like the actor who played the uncle). Mallory whatever-her-last-name is though just did such a tremendous, tremendous job.

Barnstable and TIME like this.
  18. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, I thought the Ghost Rider season was passable, but not as good as the Hive season before it. But this season's LMD / Framework arc was genius and gave the actors some real meat to chew on.

therealdeal and Savory Griddles like this.
  19. alam1108

That was a pretty decent finale to a great season of Agents of Shield. I wonder if the next season will be as good or better. Also that looked really familiar to the Doctor Strange portal effect thing.

Barnstable likes this.
  20. therealdeal

I actually thought the ending wasn't as great as the 2-3 episodes before it, but the Mack arc was great... until the end. His relationship with Yo-yo shouldn't go that smoothly.