Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Finished it. Great show.

So the vibe felt very 60's/70's, but I was reading that the show creator said the time period it takes place in is intentionally ambiguous. The clothes and furniture has a late 60s early 70s feel, yet they reference email and there are HD flat screens throughout.

There was a VERY brief shot of Professor X's wheelchair in the beginning of episode 7 and the "X" wheel looked an AWFUL lot like the one we have grown accustomed to in the X-Men universe. It makes me wonder if this is actually connected to the universe we know?

My wife started off not liking the show at all, but by the last 3 episodes, she was completely enthralled.

The effects work was TOP NOTCH. There wasn't a lot of effects that were crazy difficult, but the ones they did have to do, they did at a level that would have easily passed in a big budget movie.

The acting was amazing. I never thought I'd say this, but Aubrey Plaza acted her a** off in this. She was haunting, disgusting, crazy, sometimes even sexy. Dan Stevens and Rachel Keller were both great as well (I kind of fell in love with Keller in Fargo season two).

Shadow King going into Oliver was kind of obvious from the moment he and Syd had the conversation about him going into someone else. Oliver finally coming back and then being taken away seemed obvious.

The one character I didn't like was girl half of Kerry. She seemed a little one dimensional and didn't really serve much of a purpose.

But damn. Overall it was amazing. Watching this really puts into perspective how bad the CWverse has gotten. This is the type of show that needs to happen to keep the comic book movie/tv show genre from getting stale. After Fox not being able to get out of it's own way for a while on the X-men and Fantastic Four, they have now released 3 amazing things (Deadpool, Logan and Legion) in the last 14 months.

TIME and Barnstable like this.
  2. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

OH ME OH MY... That line about a co-worker is great!

3. Savory Griddles

I laughed on that one. It's fantastic. Cate Blanchett as Hela looks haunting...yet somehow sexy.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Weezy and therealdeal like this.
  4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

What happened to teasers being like 30 seconds long? Yeah looks awesome and very large in scale.

therealdeal and raviator like this.
  5. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

What's interesting is they didn't even touch on the actual ragnorok events

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

therealdeal likes this.
  6. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

They're now called teasers of the actual teaser to the actual trailer...or something like that.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Gave enough for me to be intrigued, but not enough to blow the whole movie.

My friends says it looks like Guardians of the Galaxy meets Gladiator. Sounds awesome.

TIME likes this.
  8. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

9. alam1108

I'm finally making my way through Iron Fist and I'm wondering how long the actor playing Danny spent to train martial arts for this. He's not great and I think they tried to counter that by adding so many cuts during fight scenes. No spoilers please, I'm on episode 7 right now.

10. therealdeal

He said in many scenes he had literally 15-20 minutes to prepare. Extremely disappointing, but honestly I feel better about him knowing that he only had a few minutes to prepare. And yes there's some fights that are severely hurt by overcutting.

The show steadily improves though. If you made it to Ep 7, keep going. It's going to get better.

Savory Griddles and alam1108 like this.
  11. alam1108

12. therealdeal

Is he the first crossover between universes while the universes are still going?

13. alam1108

I believe so.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. therealdeal

I'm cool with it. He should be fun.

15. Savory Griddles

So decided to look this up out of curiosity.

It looks to be the first Marvel/Marvel crossover. There are obviously a lot of crossovers in one off movies like The Losers or V for Vendetta or older movies not belonging to the current universes. But as far as current cinematic universes....

The guy that played Killer Croc in SS was also a Dark Elf in Thor 2. (Marvel/DC)

Kingpin's girlfriend in the Daredevil TV show is Kal-El's mom in Man of Steel (Marvel/DC)

The one Asian girl who helped Lex in BvS was also in The Wolverine (Marvel/DC)

alam1108 likes this.
  16. therealdeal

I remember the Kingpin one. The other ones I don't remember because I've expunged BvS from my mind and I never subjected myself to SS.

17. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

I finished watching Legion last week, watched it in 3 days, thought it was amazing, the effects were great and it was also a bit creepy.

I pretty much agree with your review of it, especially with the other half of Kerry, she was built up like she was a badass, but was essentially useless filler.

You have done yourself a favour on both accounts.

Barnstable, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  18. alam1108

So I just finished Iron Fist and I put it on par with Luke Cage as average. I like how it was essentially one big overarching baddie with the Hand even though the finale felt a little off? If thats the right word. It does start off pretty slow though and has maybe a tad bit too much company boardroom scenarios.

My biggest complaint is still the fight scenes. For a character with a strong background in martial arts the fight scenes weren't great. It looked pretty stiff and the numerous camera cuts were annoying. I will give props to the drunken master fight sequence, that was a great one.

Overall, nothing has been as good as DD season 1. I hope Punisher and the Defenders are at least JJ good.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    therealdeal and Kenzo like this.
  19. therealdeal

The final fight scene is just stupid. I put that as the worst final fight of all of them, but the shows famously peter out in finales. It's like they put everything into the first 12 episodes and run out of money/ideas for the end. This was the worst ending, but Jessica Jones ends on a stupid note and so does Luke Cage. Even Daredevil's endings aren't as great as the rest of the show.

I'm with you on the choreography. It starts out rough and improves as the show goes on, but in interviews Finn Jones said he had sometimes only 15 minutes to prepare for his action scenes. What the hell is that? Daredevil took something like 15 or 16 takes of their hallway scene so that they could do it right. It feels like a lot of Iron Fist was just shoved out. Even so, I found the Meachums to be as compelling as any characters on Marvel Netflix. They were awesome. The father/son dynamic was amazing.

I've heard Defenders have put the same amount of production time into 8 episodes as they usually put into 13 episodes. They're also already wrapped and the show doesn't come out for months, so that's a good sign. Punisher too.

20. alam1108

I'm felt like it could have ended after 12 episodes with Danny and Colleen running away. The whole final episode just felt like a throw in.

Iron Fist may have had the least memorable hallway fight scene. I did enjoy the "fight club" fights with Colleen, and her sword duel with that Hand lady.

Ward and Harold, really good character development for them. Joy took a little of a back seat there in the middle of the season, but looks like she'll be big in season two.

therealdeal likes this.