Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm interested in what you think of it after episode 6 (which is all the critics were allowed to see). I haven't started it yet, but intend to tonight.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Just finished Episode 6 (watching at work, don't tell anyone).

I honestly can't understand the high level of negativity the show got. It's not ground-breaking or anything but it's at least as good as anything Netflix/Marvel has done since Season 1 of Daredevil. I believe honestly it's on the same level of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. The only difference I can find is that those two broke social ground and this one doesn't have that luxury.

A good example: the imdb score (made up of random viewers) is at 8.6/10 with 876 votes. The Rotten Tomatoes score is just 4.65/10 out of 27 ratings. I'd say it's somewhere between those two ratings.

I'm open to criticism. I think there's some legit problems with the show. I've always wondered what it felt like to be a DC fan who loves those awful movies and yet the critical reception is terrible. They swear up and down that the movie just isn't that bad and they see something we don't see... I could be one of those people today, but I don't feel like I am.

3. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I honestly think some of it really does come from the main character being a rich white guy. While iron Man and Batman get a pass but in the "gritty world" of Netflix it's not ok.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. therealdeal

I agree.

I think a white billionaire is not the kind of person people want to get behind these days, even idealistic ones who want to change the way billionaires work. The fact that Jessica Jones tackled trauma and abuse and was groundbreaking as the first female lead for Marvel helped mask a ton of its flaws. The fact Luke Cage was a predominantly black cast with a black hero in a hoodie at a time when race relations were at some of their lowest points hid a ton of flaws with character development and a weak plot. Now Daredevil Season One was tremendous and Two was really good too, but don't underestimate Charlie Cox's portrayal of a blind man and how that affects critics.

Iron Fist gets none of those brownie points and all the criticism the other shows deserve. Still, even then it's over the top. This is at worst an average show and at best (if you're a Marvel fan) a good show.

5. Savory Griddles

I wondered if in the same way the Ghostbusters reboot was brutally awful, but got good critical reception,the reverse is happening because of the "controversy" regarding the white casting. You know there were critics that gave Ghostbusters a good review for fear of being labeled misogynistic (which was proven true cause some critics who said the film was garbage were railed on). I wonder if critics are trashing this because of fear of being labeled racist and condoning "white-washing." I mean, he's white in the comics and him being white is actually an integral part of his character arc, so anyone with hlf a brain knows it's not actually whitewashing, but SJWs don't rely on facts, only how they feel.

6. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

The bottom line is that each of the three precious characters have had crappy hands dealt to them from birth, and it's hard to look at a rich white guy and feel the same way.

I think part of the story is iron fist escaping the rich white mindset. I also think that him being white means a great deal to the story of him and cages friendship. That's a wonderful dynamic that I am sure we will eventually see played out

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Savory Griddles likes this.
  7. therealdeal

Yeah I think the problem with the show so far is they've hinted at him "earning the Iron Fist mantle" but they've done almost nothing to prove that. All we have is Danny's word.

8. Savory Griddles

I agree. But this along with other critical reviews is starting to frustrate me. In theory, with more of these people and the more different types of these people we have reviewing shows and movies, the better it should be. But I feel like too many critics these days are letting personal feelings, agendas or even page clicks decide what they are going to write.

9. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

well, we live in a postmodern culture where the only thing that really matters is how you feel about stuff which for many is mostly controlled by internet likes/views.

ThizGuy83 likes this.
  10. therealdeal

Finished the binge.

I thought it was good! I'll wait to get into spoilers with you all, but I thought it was at least as good plot-wise as Luke Cage or Jessica Jones. It's far from a perfect show, but it was still absolutely enjoyable to me. I'll watch it again with my wife soon.

Barnstable likes this.
  11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I'll be starting it tonight

12. Savory Griddles

4 episodes in.

I am dumbfounded as to why the critics ripped it apart. It's not a bad show at all. There are parts that are actually downright great. It's (thus far) better than Luke Cage. It's leaps and bounds better than anything on the CW as it pertains to superhero TV. I mean, Supergirl is sitting at 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and that show is a dumpster fire...a dumpster filled with dog feces and decomposed rat corpses.

I am convinced that the negative press is has to do with the "whitewashing" controversy it experienced before its release. Nothing else makes sense. I'm reading these reviews and I can't for the life of me see the points they are trying to make.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

To be fair to the CW shows, the current season for all their shows has been the best so far. But I would never compare CW to Netflix.

Will try to start Iron Fist tonight and hopefully it doesn't take me forever to finish it like Luke Cage.

14. Barnstable

Catching up on Legion... So. Freaking. Good!!!

TIME likes this.
  15. Barnstable

Good lord episode 6 of Legion blew me away. The writing for how they had Legion use his powers was absolutly fantastic

How they showed the aftermath of David using his powers instead of trying to make a huge battle was brilliant along with how they used no sound to make the end scenes in Davids house more intense. It was almost like a horror movie when the big head thing jumped out lol.

And the twist where the other entity took over was great

16. Barnstable

This is a dope poster

[​IMG]

17. Barnstable

Legion!!

Oh s***! I never realized that the other entity in David's mind was The Shadow King

:Kaream Surprise:

Then that little glimps at Professor X's chair by The Shadow King was great!

This show just gets better and better!!

18. Savory Griddles

I really need to catch up on this.

19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I'm enjoying Iron Fist. I'm not moving around my schedule to squeeze in episodes, so it's good but not great. I don't read reviews, and haven't for years. I rarely agreed with them.

20. Barnstable

You really do. I can't believe we don't have more discussion about this show. It's the best X Men show and IMO rivals Daredevil season 1

TIME likes this.