Official Marvel / MCU Discussion:

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ThizGuy83, Feb 9, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I'm really looking forward to it, but after The Last Jedi, and to a certain extent, the slapstick comedy that was Thor Ragnarok, I can't take critics seriously when it comes to any Disney property. Most of these so called critics these days are more or less glorified bloggers at this point and need access to events to continue to get page hits on their websites. Disney already tried banning the LA Times from movie premieres because of an investigation that didn't even have anything to do with movies. Disney owns so much, you don't want to cross them.

I do really want to see this because it looks cool and I enjoyed his character in Civil War, but reviews of Disney movies are "bought" in a roundabout way.

Kingsama likes this.
  3. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

I share your hesitancy @Savory Griddles. While I loved TLJ, still need to watch it again though, the critical reaction to Thor Ragnarok was way over stated. It certainly was not a bad movie, but it certainly was not a great one either. To me it was a heartless GotG clone. Again I liked it, but the early reviews were massively overstated. Don't get me wrong I still have high hopes and I will still see it, probably earlier than I usually do Marvel movies, but I will have to see if it is up there with the best of the MCU.

Barnstable and Savory Griddles like this.
  4. Savory Griddles

Yeah. I mean, I didn't dislike Ragnarok. Ragnarok was fun, but it was tonally inconsistent and did feel like a GotG clone with Thor all of a sudden becoming Star Lord. I used to read movie reviews a ton back in the late 90's and early 2000's and the things they would absolutely destroy movies over seem to get a free pass now if they were produced by Disney. Character motivations and consistencies, plot holes, inconsistent tones...these things are everywhere now and seem to be ignored. At the same time, movies that aren't made by Disney get called out all the time for these same issues.

Kingsama likes this.
  5. therealdeal

Firstly, Thor 3 was great and you all are crazy town. I didn't think the reviews were inconsistent with what I experienced: it was silly and fun. Sure it was different from the first 2 Thors, but the first two Thors weren't really all that compelling (Thor 2 especially). I found this version better.

Secondly, The Last Jedi is a masterpiece and I'm tired of your negative propaganda!

Thirdly, you should really read the reviews because it's not all just superlatives. Most reviews are saying it's a good movie because of the message behind it and because of it's a groundbreaking film in terms of representation and storytelling. As a person of color, I am excited to see a different sort of superhero movie. And then on top of that it's wrapped up in a typical Coogler movie: great characterization, compelling action, and terrific visuals.

I didn't think I could be more excited for this movie until I read those reviews.

6. Savory Griddles

I didn't say I didn't enjoy Thor. It was just tonally inconsistent with essentially the entire Marvel universe. Millions if not billions of Asgardians are dying, and Thor is cracking jokes the whole time. It was a fun, but was not worthy of the praise it got heaped on it.

The only propaganda being spread about TLJ is by Disney. I simply speak the truth. Take off your Mouse Ears and get woke, son. ;) :p

I did read the reviews. I am also a little concerned that people will get too caught up on the fact that it's a black hero as opposed to the actual quality of the film. I think Wonder Woman got some of that (female lead) because that movie is not what everyone made it out to be (people are complaining about an Oscar snub for God's sake). As I said in the DC thread, I have watched that movie a few times now and every time it gets worse. I am all for diversity, but just because it's different representation, doesn't mean it's good. My wife is Mexican and I have 4 nieces/nephews that are Mexican. I'd love to see the new Blue Beetle done on the big screen. But if they ever did do it, I'm not going to say it's awesome just because of different representation.

Now all that being said, I am REALLY looking forward to this movie because Fruitville Station and Creed are both fantastic. I am looking forward to it because I enjoyed the glimpse we got of his character in Civil War. I'm interested in the whole premise of Wakanda being this legendary, crazy advanced city. I have 7:00 pm Thursday night tickets. I'm just sort of tired of what we have as critics these days. They are essentially a marketing wing of Disney at this point. I mean, critics went crazy over Beauty and the Beast which was essentially shot for shot remake of a 30 year old cartoon. With Disney now owning everything, it's a huge conflict of interest.

7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I'll be the one to say it, I really disliked Thor 3 and GotG2. They really soured the MCU for me (Spiderman was good though). Seeing the trailers for BP and Antman 2 though makes me optimistic about this year's offerings.

8. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    Wait, did I get it right? There are people who complained Gal wasn't niminated for The Oscar? :Laugh:

Seriously, this is the most idiotic claim I've come across this century. And dhis is coming from a guy who watched this movie in the theater only because of her lol

9. Savory Griddles

Not Gal for actress, but WW for best picture.

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  10. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    ok, thanks for clarifying that. Still madness, but far less so.

11. Savory Griddles

Yeah. Logan is the only comic book movie this year that deserved the type of praise it was getting. I would not have been upset to have seen Logan nominated for Best Picture. Granted, it's probably my favorite film of 2017.

12. SamsonMiodek

Family guy
    Couldn't agree more, Logan was great.

13. therealdeal

14. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Black Panther review embargo lifted.

15. therealdeal

It's at 100% and 8.6/10 on RT right now with 48 reviews.

Metacritic has it at 88/100 with 22 reviews.

16. Savory Griddles

It's a Disney movie, so all Rotten Tomatoes scores need to be taken with a giant boulder of salt. I just don't trust these so called reviewers (half of which run tiny, insignificant websites no one visits) to have the guts to upset Mighty Mouse.

But I am looking forward to the movie. :D

17. therealdeal

Oh no you're one of those... Disney has had plenty of failures on RT you know.

18. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Disney= Illuminati
    [​IMG]

SamsonMiodek likes this.
  19. therealdeal

No doubt, but as long as the product is good I'm in. :D

20. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

I trust some of those tiny website people, they are my go to source, i do not get why people care about RT.