Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

So again we all agree that it's the same plan. :Magic Brows:

Again. Show me. When we sign George, Lebron, Westbrook, etc, I will tip my hat to Magic and co and give them their due. Not a moment sooner.

scnottaken, ZenMaster and abeer3 like this.
  2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

But what I'm saying is that no one was saying "see this is just like before" when Magic and Rob got the job and explained their strategy, and the only difference is that people lost confidence in them because they decided to trade Dlo, and they couldn't convince the moron in Indy to trade PG for a reasonable package.

I feel like a lot of fans have been traumatized by the past four years, and when we traded Russell it sent them into "see, it's just like always", "Magic and Rob don't know what they're doing", "it's the same as before" but nothing has changed. This is the same plan they were presenting when they got the job.

3. ElginTheGreat

They will instantly earn their stripes when the trade for George is announced.

scnottaken and abeer3 like this.
  4. Barnstable

That might not happen. But at this time, they do have cap space for two max contracts next year and the youngsters can develop in the meantime.

Believe me, I was not exactly on the Magic train when he was hired. I doubted his talent evaluation skills, but to their credit, Magic and Rob haven't strayed from what they said they were going to do. Yes the outcome needs to be different from Mitch and Jim, but so far, I don't see any reason for concern that wasn't there a few months ago. On the contrary, it's looking much better than a few months ago, and things are on track.

5. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Elgin you need to take a puff from the blunt and chill my dude. The dark side is strong inside of you i can sense. Come back home.

6. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

7. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

In the Summer League completely isolating himself from the squad while they were discussing strategy? The broadcasters noted that incident on air and I thought it wasn't a big deal though it provides a bit of insight into his personality? Detached...a loner...not an accessible individual...enigmatic. Again, I liked what Russell brought to the floor when he was fully engaged on it. A shame really he could not capitulate...or given more time.

8. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

No, no, no do not count your chickens early... the negativity and PG signing requirement to offset the Moz/DLo deal is WAY too high. they will will make other deals if needed. never be desperate for one thing to happen. Like Magic said "do you see my smile" there is no desperation anymore (you ever see Kupchak smile....ever? Good reason.) New era, the witch is dead. Embrace.

Lakers2015 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

to be fair, my concerns have existed from the beginning. the plan sounded the same, and it is. i'm with elgin.

scnottaken, jbiggs and ElginTheGreat like this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

[​IMG]

sirronstuff, LTLakerFan, TIME and 2 others like this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

Sorry guys, but like I said on another thread, I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Weezy likes this.
  12. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

The thing about Magic that you see on display in Lonzo's press conference is the guy just has an energy, a smile, charisma, he obviously has a ridiculously high basketball IQ, and he has a plan. Brilliant business man who is gonna know how to really sell this team.

All of which are gonna be very attractive to free agents. As soon as they have a discussion with him I'm very confident that player will be signing with the Lakers. Mitch and Jim just didn't have those attributes that Magic has that is gonna make elite free agents wanna play here.

LTLakerFan and Alcindor like this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

14. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It does, but I'll give Magic and Rob the time, because it's become abundantly clear that we don't have the pieces to trade for a star, so we really have no option but to wait and swing for the fences in free agency next offseason. The stupid thing IMO, would have been to trade the #2 pick or Ingram for a star, because they're the only pieces that could have landed one, and arnt winning with ONE star and no players around him anyway. It's very smart to hold onto Ingram and take Ball, because those are the best chances of developing a star from within. Yes, this is the..2007 (I think it was that year?) big free agent plan again, but we will have a lot of money, we will have some young promising talent on the roster, and while the lure of LA doesn't seem to be what it once was, I'll take Magic and Rob doing the pitching over baseball cap and mr personality.

LTLakerFan, TIME, therealdeal and 4 others like this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

I definitely support Magic and Rob and hope for the best this go around.

LTLakerFan and Barnstable like this.
  16. Barnstable

That is fair. It just seemed that a lot of people here had flashbacks of The old FO when Dlo was traded. I just wanted to emphasize nothing has changed for the worse IMO because of that trade.

17. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

Quick question..
    If it's the "Same Plan" that Jerry & Mitch had, how were they planning on signing 2 free agents next Year
    with both Moz & Deng on the books..?
    Also, I'm pretty sure the Old Plan involved Russell running the Team. I don't see that as
    part of the New Plan either..

To be honest, there really is NO similarity between the 2 plans at all.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    You know what plan sucked? Signing over the hill vets to long contracts that will cripple the team's ability to sign good players. That's what Kupchak did and he did it with relish.

John3:16 likes this.
  19. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Ramona Shelbourne: when the Lakers offered a contract to Moz, they said 4 years and 16 million. Moz team mistakenly thought it was $16 million a year. Lakers were so happy to finally get someone they agreed.

She was joking, but that's how bad the contract was.

20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

The plan during the final years of Kobe to post-Kobe (now) is to swing for free agents. Add that one big free agent to help Kobe back into the playoffs. Add that one or several free agent to take this team back to relevance. That's where Mitch-Jim's and Magic-Rob's plans are similar, free agents. Where they differ is Magic and Rob are looking for high character, hard working guys.

Hindsight is 20/20 when it comes to MozDeng but try and understand the context. You don't have to approve, just understand it. It came at the end of Jim's famous timeline and the team was at the lowest with BS. We added an upcoming, promising, young coach in Luke. We were adding another promising rookie in Ingram to a solid core of kids. We were expecting big strides from DAR, Randle, JC, Nance etc. I remember a lot of the discussion here that offseason, add vets that will help the kids along and sneak into the playoffs. Yesthe amount we signed them for was too much but who was going to sign with the last place team, we were going to have to overpay for players. Moz was who Luke wanted and I still think he wasn't bad of an addition. It's Deng that turned out to be the problem, who would have guessed he was going to fall off the cliff after a post all star break resurgence in Miami.

The "Plan" everyone is talking about, in essence, is the same. Hoard cap space to sign that big name free agent that will be our name brand star. Its just now that we have different salesman for it. The MozDeng deals came when that plan failed, I wouldn't exactly say that they were part of the plan.

scnottaken likes this.