Magic Johnson Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by DOAKLEY8, Feb 21, 2017.

1. PGinLA

PGinLA - Rookie -

Cost Control Analyst
    The idea was to keep the offer to as low as possible but not hit them below the belt. Pacers obviously thought whatever our offer was, we're doing exactly that, below the belt.

Well, what's done is done. I wonder how long Pritchard is gonna drag this one. Send him somewhere for far less than our offer and have that team trade with us for something more valuable than just a 1 year rental.

Yeah, I'm still hoping.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

2. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I'll post the full video when I can but Rob just finished his press conference talking about why we made the Russell trade, what stood out to him about the 4 guys we drafted, goals in trades and FA and more.

Very encouraged and confident we know what we are doing with our plans going forward.

therealdeal and alam1108 like this.
  3. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Wowzers. You'd think this was the WMC thread lol.

Dunno about Bryant, but I like the Kuzma and heart picks.

I'm happy where things seem to be heading.. can't wait to see this team play and see what kind of progress we'll make with, or without George. Stay patient guys, good things are coming!

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

5. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Magic needs to work on that wink game.

6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

gotta gif that

7. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...russell-good-los-angeles-lakers-needed-leader

-- Los Angeles Lakers president of basketball operations Earvin "Magic" Johnson didn't mince words when asked about why they traded point guard D'Angelo Russell -- the No. 2 overall pick in the 2015 draft -- to the Brooklyn Nets this week.

"D'Angelo is an excellent player," Johnson said Friday, when the team introduced its top draft pick Lonzo Ball at its practice facility. "He has the talent to be an All-Star. We want to thank him for what he did for us. But what I needed was a leader. I needed somebody also that can make the other players better and also [somebody] that players want to play with."

The Lakers traded Russell and center Timofey Mozgov to the Nets in exchange for Brooklyn center Brook Lopez and the No. 27 overall pick in Thursday's draft.

For the Lakers, the move was essentially a salary dump, as it allowed them to shed Mozgov's hefty salary -- he's entering the second year of a four-year, $64 million deal -- and take on Lopez's expiring contract.

Those moves should give the Lakers close to $60 million in significant cap room next summer -- enough to potentially sign two max-salary players.

Still, it marked a sharp and surprising end to Russell's tenure with the Lakers.

Johnson, however, kept praising the leadership qualities of Ball, whom the Lakers selected No. 2 overall out of UCLA.

"I went to the high school," Johnson said. "I talked to the principal. I talked to, I think, four teachers, they all said at different times, this guy, everybody attracts to this guy. And I said, OK, that's all I needed to hear. He's a leader. He treats people the right way. I said, OK, we've got our man now."

Indiana Pacers superstar Paul George, a Southern California native, has indicated he would like to join the Lakers when he hits free agency in 2018. LeBron James also is among the stars eligible to be a free agent next summer. It's expected that the Lakers will chase both players.

However, the Lakers have struck out on big-name free agents in each of the past four offseasons. Johnson was asked about what will be different next summer, since he's essentially betting on himself to turn their fortunes around.

"Look at my face," Johnson said, smiling. "Do you see that smile? Do you see it? OK, then. I've always bet on myself, right? I'm fine where we are. I'm happy. I'm excited. Lakers fans should be excited. We're back."

Johnson added, "When you have this much cap space, we're going to be major players next summer. The tide has turned. People want to play here again. It's exciting times for the L.A. Lakers. I wouldn't have made that move if I didn't think I could use that money. Enough said."

8. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Mag speaking that into existence.

sirronstuff, gill and John3:16 like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I know people like that though that can't wink with one eye. Both close.

10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I don't get the complaints. I really don't.

There's only 3 ways to improve our roster. The draft, trades, and free agency. We're done with drafting, next up is free agency. Trades if the opportunity presents itself. If you want to call that boring and repetitive, well I guess you're right. Welcome to NBA basketball.

11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

That's because this is typical of how things get done in the NBA in general in a position like the Lakers. Of course it looks similar, because if you're a losing team, you have to come up through the draft, and hope some of your players gain trade value, or get good enough as a group that you can attract better free agents. There aren't a whole lot of other options to get out of our position.

But it's only since Magic and Rob have been in charge that we actually have players, and really good players in Ball and PG, try to force their way to come to the Lakers again. That is a big deal.

I think people are looking at the Dlo trade as if that changes things, but if you think about it, Rob and Magic are still doing exactly what they said they would. They didn't mortgage the future by offering the #2 or Ingram or Zu for PG. They're letting payers develop for a year, and then going after stars in free agency in 2018.... minus one player they decided didn't fit the vision, so they used that player to improved their position for getting top free agents in 2018.

It's not that "the plan" is bad, it's the outcome that matters. So far they've followed through with what they said was their vision.

12. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm watching the presser from today. Magic really did not think highly of DLo as a Laker leader!

sirronstuff, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  13. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Yikes. There's no reading in between the lines there, pretty crushing.

14. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^Scott had issues with Russell... Walton never really fully bought into him with that "experiment" during the last quarter of the season. Johnson now just being straight up. I thought Russell really had some talent but it sometimes takes more than that.

15. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I don't buy the phone angle. Kobe did worse to Shaq (or comparable). If you can play and win, much is forgive.

Bottom line is, DLo didn't make others better and I'm guessing he wasn't the team leader Magic and Luke want in a PG going forward. I still say him at the 2 with Ball as team leader would've been pretty good.

alam1108 likes this.
  16. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

But and that's a big but would Russell be okay taking a backseat to Ball? We know Russell has a massive ego. Think Magic did not want to deal with that controversy. He's already bestowed the team to Lonzo in the presser. It's crazy to see how much faith and belief Magic has in a 19 yr old. This is why I think he's special.

John3:16 and Barnstable like this.
  17. Barnstable

He still has tons of potential, but Russell was not a leader.

Do you all remember this:

I know it's just one incident, but do you really think that ever happens to Kobe? I never even saw anything like that when Kobe was a rookie. No, Kobe had too much respect from his teammates. They looked to him and his approval when on the court. Dlo didn't have any of that, or at least, not much of those leadership qualities that makes your teammates look to you for approval when they make a play.

sirronstuff, John3:16 and KRL like this.
  18. KRL

KRL - Lakers 6th Man -

^
    Just another example of his immaturity. Sorry you just can't have that in a leader even if he was only 19 or 20.

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. Barnstable

Check out the play at the beginning of this clip. Russell is begging Randle to pass it to him. It's just pathetic.

sirronstuff and Magnum_BI like this.
  20. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    I remember Luke instructing Dangelo to go congratulate his teammates. I thought it was odd. But if a coach has to tell you to do that, what is going on behind the scenes?