2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Well, there have been Twitter polls on this, that’s probably the only real judge of like what the hardcore fans want most. I think the average fan would want any and every star we could get and to be great again, but the Twitter polls showed those particular fans wanted PG and a re-signed Randle. I don’t like LeBron at all, but I do like being in the nba finals, so I’ll take LeBron, PG, and Randle while keeping almost every one of our other core and I’m ecstatic.

TIME and sirronstuff like this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I like the thought of bringing in Dame too at the right price. I like our young guys but I’m sick of losing records. I can accept any deal that makes a legit contender at this point.

I just want two to three legit stars on the team that are ready to go. I’d be good with any combo out of George, Kawhi, and Lebron. I’d be ecstatic if we got all 3.

therealdeal likes this.
  3. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Kawhi would be a miracle. Too many variables have to go our way. However, Lebron and George can come without any issues but the Lakers can really make some noise if they can trade Deng's contract without giving up any of the young core. If they can do that, they either sign Randle for a friendly number or they give Cousins a 2 year 20 mil contract per, with a player opt out next year to see if he can still ball.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t really get why Lillard’s name keeps coming up. Kawhi is being mentioned because he reportedly wants out, and he has one year left on his deal, that’s why we have the pieces in theory to get it done. But Lillard has 3 years left on his deal, has not asked out, and I haven’t seen the Blazers being mentioned as shopping him. He’s a superstar franchise player that doesn’t currently have injury concerns and doesn’t seem unhappy, so the return for him would be much better than anything we could offer if they did look to move on from him. If anything I would think the Blazers would be more likely to move McCollum to find a player to fit better next to Lillard, not the other way around.

TIME, Toneloc and alam1108 like this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It was a rumor started by some guy who just had an idea that the Lakers should trade for Lillard by giving up a bunch of their kids which would help free more cap space (could have been Simmons). Lillard has expressed an appreciation for the Lakers already and the Blazers look REALLY capped out right now. It's going to be difficult for them to go anywhere higher than this and where they are isn't quite good enough. I'm with you though, I don't see it happening. How many teams are eager to help the Lakers create a rival dynasty to the Warriors?

Weezy likes this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Lillard’s Name has popped up in a few rumors. Simmons mentioning it, although I hate him, makes me wonder how valid some of that talk is.

I’m definitely not treating it as likely.

7. therealdeal

Rudy Gay declined his option which I find mildly surprising.

8. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Ring chasin???

Almost like they know another super power is rising.

Also...

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    San Antonio isn’t exactly the place to be right now ....

- Kawhi wants out
    - Pop has 1-2 years left max
    - Parker, Ginobili and Pau declining
    - Really no cap space to improve
    - For how great the Spurs have been the foundation is cracked right now and you don’t want to be there when it crumbles.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

what was gay's salary, though? is he likely to make it up in this market? he must think he can get a long-term full MLE deal?

crawford can't possibly think that at his age. he's definitely ring chasing. hello, houston/GS.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  11. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

Teodosic is hot garbage. Plus, he looks like a couch potato.

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I wouldn't mind JCraw in very short spurts, but he's streakier than a 99 center store window cleaner.

13. therealdeal

Gay was set to make 8.8 million next season. Did he earn more than that? I'm not sure. Ariza seems to think this is a great market for wings too, so maybe they know something I'm not seeing.

14. vasashi17

Maybe he wasn't happy with his role, cause he became a reserve for the 1st time last year.

He signed a 17M deal last summer, so I can see a tax payer MLE type contract of 3 years 5.6M per.

Also for salary matching purposes in a trade, Gay can be part of a S&t to a capped out team so that he makes more money than he would have with that team if he had just walked there as a free agent.

If Green opts out now, then SA clears up about 17M in salary cap space (once they renounce their free agents). This, plus the additional open roster spots helps them tremendously in facilitating a Kawhi trade, cause they'll have less restrictions. For example, if we S&t Jules to SA, they will be hard capped at $130M. Now that restriction will be less likely to get in the way.

15. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    According toSpotrac, Gay would have made over $8.8 million in 2018-19 had he opted in to remain with the San Antonio Spurs.

I can't see him making that much or more this off-season with so few teams with cap space. This all points to him not worried about money but just wanted out of SA like @Doc Brown mentioned.

16. therealdeal

Pincus playing with the numbers a bit.

He points out we could get to just shy of Durant/LeBron max territory by waiving everybody non-guaranteed and Deng. (150K short).

Or if we used draft assets to trade out of Deng, we could get to Durant/LeBron + about 9 million or so to retain veterans. End up with a lineup of:

Lonzo/Ingram/LeBron/Durant/Lopez with Kuzma, Hart, and maybe a re-signed Pope off the bench.

OR if we want to get real crazy, we attach 2/3 of Lonzo, Kuzma, and Ingram along with some draft picks with Deng to San Antonio, we can create a lineup of:

Lonzo probably/Kawhi/LeBron/Durant/Lopez with Hart off the bench.

We just have to convince Durant to leave the Warriors and the Spurs to trade us Kawhi. :D

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  17. vasashi17

^^^This is why the moves Rob/Magic made during their first year together are so tremendous.

I know some fans think it was a mistake not to extend Jules at 12M and it was a mistake to make these trades for future cap space....but just think about the endless amounts of possibilities.

Our only problem now is the Deng deal, but we have an opportunity to create a numerous amount of superteam configurations and that's all you really need during this time of year: the opportunity.

With Jules, we have the ability to S&t for matching purposes in trades we wouldn't be able to do if he was sitting on that 12M salary right now. We can resign IT and BLo with their bird rights and trade them too, but if we needed a 20M per contract to trade, you think the team that is getting that contract back would rather have Jules at that number or BLo/IT?

We have the flexibility to do many things and I applaud the FO creating this opportunity when just a little over a year ago we were quite literally a laughing stock around the league.

18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

How come abeer never fights with you over this?

19. vasashi17

Can't really speak for him, but imho he does... We've had a number of back and forths over it. No position is outright wrong... And that's the beauty of it. Unlike MozDeng which most of us knew was horrid, the divide among the fan base with the new FO is towards some loving the moves that have already taken place (like me), while others are waiting on the end game to come to fruition before they give their final grades (like abeer).

But I doubt fans absolutely hate the position we are in now compared to where we were to start the 2016/17 season.

Plus abeerstrodamus doesn't need his crystal ball to tell him where a back and forth with me is going to head...he rather do better things with his time than read the drivel I'll spew out.

20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Is there enough room for Lonzo and Ball to both rap though?

LTLakerFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.