2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That's too much going on.

The Wolves need depth. They'd take a trade of Horford, Brown, Memphis draft pick for Towns. Boston loses some of their wing depth, but gets younger and more talented inside. Towns gets a "new town" to start over in. Brown is tough to lose for them, but they've already got Hayward on the way back.

alam1108 and Lakeshow85 like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Horford brings them something KAT can’t, and that has been invaluable for them. KAT seemed to shrink a little under the big lights in the playoffs, so I’m not sure they do that.

I also think they’d want to keep Wiggins. The Phx 1st pick is an interesting asset.

abeer3 likes this.
  3. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

IF the Wolves decide to trade Towns, the Suns are my first phone call.

The Wolves could just get a haul akin to what they got for Love, also headlined by a player just picked #1 (Wiggins) but they also got a solid young talent (Bennett - mind you he was just one year removed from being the #1 pick and it wasn't completely known at the time that he sucked) and a very capable veteran (Thaddeus Young coming off a 17.9ppg 6rpg 2.3apg 2,1spg season) and unloaded the one year left on Mbah a Moute's deal.

Something similar could be TJ Warren + Chriss + #1 pick for Towns + unloading the one year left on Cole Aldrich.

Is that enough for a generational talent like Towns? Guess it really depends on how badly they want to move Towns and how they are on Ayton.

For the Suns, it's a hefty price but they'd have an amazing core of Booker, Towns, Josh Jackson. Some left over talent with Bender, Alan Williams, Ulis and Troy Daniels. They'd still have 3 picks in the draft, including #16. They'd still have cap space. They'd still have tradeable expiring contracts in Chandler/Dudley. Having the Booker + Towns combo though, that's what vaults them back to relevancy.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. therealdeal

Tania is a treasure. She's really very talented.

I posted that before though. @Doc Brown sort of nailed it I think: this is jockeying a little bit for Kawhi. There were multiple reports that the young guns were pretty much untouchable. Now the window is cracked open a bit. "Hey if you give us Kawhi, you might be able to get Ingram/Hart/Deng or Kuzma/Hart/#25" that type of thing.

Barnstable, TIME and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

Of course kidding about Tania. Not Serena though .... how did she become a Trailblazer?

sirronstuff likes this.
  7. therealdeal

I think she was promoted, probably a higher salary over there. She was really just working for a blog down here I think, right? LakersNation? Isn't that a glorified blog?

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Agreed. I think ONE of them; maybe two - if I were pushed. Leonard changes the landscape here almost immediately and puts us back into a place of contention. However, I'm concerned about that quad injury he has; so physicals have to be in order along with all the due diligence that comes with that; it's just the way it has to be and we're trying to mitigate any risk of acquiring a player that might be less than 100% of himself especially if it is possible this could be a long-term problem.

That said, the Lakers FO could have gave up everything in the cupboard if they wanted to when the George deal was presented; instead, if you believe reports, they stuck with Randle and Clarkson; so, we know they can be patient, and wait for the summer...whether or not it works out, we'll see in July.

So, we know they can exercise patience, and with Rob's connection through back channels of communication with agents, I'm sure he has some notion of what might possibly be going on in SA and where Leonard wants to be short and long-term.

The big piece of the puzzle is PG. Grab him, and then go from there.

A question posed to you, though; and one I think we fail to overlook - we have Brook Lopez and IT's BIRD right and those count for something; so, if we end up signing 1 of them (preferably Brook to a 1-year deal), we can possibly use one or the other in a deal to possibly match salaries - it also helps that Brook can still play.

Just my 0.02 cents...:)

Cookie, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  9. therealdeal

That's an excellent point. We could conceivably sign and trade one of those guys. The sign and trade rules are more complicated in this CBA, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

I'm definitely loathe to trade any of our youngsters and I've been with you from the start on Kawhi's health being more of a concern than people will admit. If he's actually still injured, that changes everything about our approach. I think the assumption is he just quit on the Spurs this year and is actually pretty healthy, but that's a red flag to me too.

Still, if he checks out and is good to go, and he forces his way here strongly enough, I'd be willing to part with one youngster to San Antonio, sign Paul George, and we could possibly still make a run at LeBron even, but without him we'd still be one hell of a team.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

Man.... if the Wolves are serious about being willing to trade Towns, I’m sure Wiggins is available too. Both of those guys can fetch back players that would fit Thibs’ system to win now.

If I were the Wolves I like that trade to the Suns for Warren+1st overall pick.

However if the Suns won’t go for that, my next call would be to the Spurs and I would offer Towns for Kawhi + Kyle Anderson + future 1sts. I would then also call the clippers and offer Wiggins for DeAndre+Beverly.

I gotta believe both the Spurs and Clippers will have a very hard time saying no to those offers.

From a Wolves standpoint, they get Kawhi who’s the best 2 way player in the game when healthy, and DeAndre who is a defense first center... both fitting well with Thibs. Plus they get depth with Anderson and Beverly. Their depth chart would be:

DeAndre/Aldrich
    Gibson/Dieng
    Kawhi/Anderson
    Butler
    Teague/Beverly

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

You figure - Pau is getting up their in age; Brook is younger and can do everything Pau does (probably better) at this stage because Brook is younger; you also add ONE of Ingram, Kuz, Ball, and some combination of draft pick(s).

You're getting a former All-Star, a stud young player, and draft pick(s). Maybe you can do better elsewhere; maybe you can't, but that deal might work. I'm not a GM, though.

12. therealdeal

I think they can get more, the key would be making sure Kawhi forces his way here. Dont get soft with it. If he says "Lakers or nothing" directly to the team, then it's game time. We give up some minor assets so we can make salaries work and we run with it.

13. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

@EddieEddie Hey bud, sorry if I was rude or seemed to blow you off yesterday. I got alot more time today, compared to yesterday, to discuss the incomplete roster charge thing.

I appreciate all the articles and sources you provided and I do understand what you mean in terms of how the incomplete roster charge would take up just enough cap where we wouldn't be able to give both PG and Boogie their true maxes.

So let's look at it this way: Zo, BI, Kuz, Hart, Ennis, Zu, TB, #25, Jules (via cap hold) and Deng (pre-stretch) are 10 on the roster. Then we have the rights of UFAs BLo, KCP, IT, & Frye along with the rights to RFAs Wear & A. Ingram.

So if we put out qualifying offers to not only Jules but our other RFAs in Wear (1.7M cap hold) and A.Ingram (1.6M cap hold), we're looking at a roster of 12 (pre Deng stretch).

Those 12 lead to approximately 56M in team salary, with about 45M in cap space since we won't have an incomplete roster charge.

Sign George to the max and now our roster sits at 13 and we have about 15M in cap space.

Now stretch Deng and our roster sits at 12 and we open up 26M.

Renounce Wear & A.Ingram and then sign Boogie with the 29M that we opened up in cap and either sign Wear or A.Ingram with the vet min exception or go after BLo with the room exception.

So after the extensive back and forth, you are correct that both George and Boogie won't each get their maxes, but either one can still get the max while the other gets a modest haircut off theirs or both can get a trivial amount cut from each of their maxes.

Hope that clears up my position on the matter and thanks for correcting me again. I really dig talking about the cap with you.

Barnstable likes this.
  14. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

15. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    So they wanna trade Kat for #1 plus some probs.

16. LTLakerFan

I've always liked Rachel

:clap:

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  17. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Boogies game was never with huge explosiveness. I think if he sheds some weight hell be just fine.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

wonder which team benefits more now and later if Pho does trade #1 for KAT?

19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    You always choose the sure thing...

abeer3 likes this.
  20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

that and thibs isn't interested in going backwards in terms of contention. i think phx's gm basically came out and said "we'll trade this pick for towns" without using his name the other day, but i think minny doesn't do it. now, if it turned into a three-way deal that delivered an allstar big to minny (not sure who that would be, though), i could see them biting. towns will leave there when he can. just like pretty much everyone does.

Cookie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.