37% of the Federal Government’s Total Reported Assets Are Student Loans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by revgen, Mar 6, 2016.

1. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    I figured colleges were spending a good amount of money on athletics.. Just didn't realize to what extent, or where the funds came from...

2. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

Missed this gem and wanted to reply. While I agree college isn't for everyone I find myself in between the two takes.

On one hand I agree that getting a useless degree that affords you no skillset or future job prospects is a terrible, debt-incurring idea. On the other hand, as others have noted - the barometer for many entry-level jobs with competitive pay and a career-growth path.......is a college degree. You need it to get the job. You can be as savvy, knowledgeable and charismatic as you want but you won't get the job because person B had the degree and you didn't.

I think there are also stigmas. People could go into lines of work that they'd be successful in but choose to go to college because of image. Certain jobs are below their class, so to speak. Then these people go to college and choose a major they get little out of, and end up making less than if they took that blue-collar job and rose up the ranks.

Then there's people like me. I had no idea what the hell I was doing when I was 18. I had skills and attributes but I didn't know who I was. I didn't have the confidence to take initiative and lead others. That's what college taught me - largely outside of the classroom. Organizations I joined taught me that. I needed college as an additional growth mechanism - I needed to get out of the house. I needed to fail, succeed, be somewhere in the middle and discover myself. I did and I've blossomed from a career standpoint as a result. After working for a while I realized getting a Master's degree was the fastest way to rise through the ranks because the work I was doing was below my skill level. For me college (undergrad) was a defining moment in my life. It absolutely contributed to my development and I would say my life would be markedly different without it.

Instead of saying people shouldn't go to college, or people should, or people shouldn't get a Master's I wish some genius somewhere could develop some kind of aptitude test. I think as others mentioned - doing something you like is absolutely key. You have to choose a field that allows you some enjoyment. An aptitude test that incorporated behavior, personality, interests, skills, strengths, weaknesses, and knowledge of certain topics would be phenomenal. Imagine it spit out 5-10 jobs/careers ideal for your unique type with an explanation of why each fits you. Based on what the report spits out and what you choose, the person can decide if college is necessary/worth the investment or not.

3. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    The sex trade is generally not highly regarded for a career tho

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think it's fair to say that college allows quite a bit of time for growing up while continuing to build your educational foundation. For some, it is very difficult to study when school is not your thing, and you don't have a well defined goal in mind to put up with it.