37% of the Federal Government’s Total Reported Assets Are Student Loans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by revgen, Mar 6, 2016.

1. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

LINK

And people wonder why the cost of college is so high. Because the federal government gives a student loan to just about anybody.

sirronstuff and therealdeal like this.
  2. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Quoting what I said in the Presidency thread:

"And college isn't affordable its just available. It's a scam of the highest order. You want to go to college? Cool! Here's a loan at 5% interest, that you will have to pay back for 20+ some years on average (That means you are paying back loans into your 40s at least. Interest rates mean you aren't even paying back the principal for a good number of those years.). The loans are set at a 10 year payment schedule that isn't realistic in payment amount or frequency, leading most people to double the amount of time it takes to pay it off, leading to the lenders (Sallie May/ie the government) collecting double the interest. College tuition on average is 3 times that of 1990. Around $45,000 in total. Why? Because the higher the tuition, the higher the interest collected when it takes most people twice the amount of time to pay off the loan as projected. This is just government taxation by another name."

sirronstuff and revgen like this.
  3. revgen

Tuition is higher because there are few schools and plenty of students receiving loans from the feds. Low supply. High demand. It has nothing to do with collecting interest.

4. Barnstable

Fewer schools than 1990? Tuition is 3 times that of 36 years ago. So you're saying there were 3 times the number of schools in 1990 than there are now?? Could you even argue there were double the number of schools then than there are now? Absolutely not.

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. revgen

I don't understand what you're saying here.

6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Tuition being 3 X what it was 36 years ago sounds about right. What was the price of a burger, car, house, movie ticket? I'd say 3X is pretty fair and accurate (no hard data to back up my opinion, BTW)

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

According to the internet the average prices for those were:

movies: $2.69
    burger (mcdonalds): about $0.50
    car: $7,200
    house: $68,700

now:
    movies: $8.61
    burger: $3.79
    car: $31,252
    house: $365,700

Roughly. Just for reference for you guys.

John3:16 likes this.
  8. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Thanks Real.

While I didn't pay for college, my graduate degree was $250 per credit hour. Most courses were 3 hours.

$750 X 20 courses is $15,000. That is from OU. My undergrad was $22,000 at a private school, but that also included parking, all books, internet fees, printing, and a few other things colleges like to tack on.

IMO, it's a great investment. Not just the earning power, but the knowledge itself.

I fear the "student loan" issue will sway people away from going to college.

9. Barnstable

I wasn't clear.

Household median income in 1990= $52,623

Household median income in 2014= $53,657

So while the cost of school has gone up at about the same rate as inflation (3x that of 1990), people still can't afford it because wages have not gone up much at all.

sirronstuff, thkthebest and John3:16 like this.
  10. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    There are ~5,000 Title IV-eligible degree-granting institutions (including 2-year and 4-year) in the USA. There are about 21 million students in colleges. (Or this is true up to 2011.)

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d12/tables/dt12_005.asp

If you want to know why there's a "problem" associated with colleges, look at what happens when you institute licensing requirements. Then think about how heavy the licensing requirements are in the US, particularly in colleges.

Then look at what happens in a market when you subsidize one product (in this case it's particular approaches to 2- and 4-year college study programs).

Combine these ideas with massive numbers of people involved, and you'll see a need for quick (but mindless) methods for making decisions about who should be admitted, etc.

You'll have an insanely strong push to get students into colleges when many of them would find that their life would go far better without college. The education they receive will not benefit them in terms of job/career prep, will not make them better people, and will not do much other than put them in debt.

In my case, my life went much better for having gone to school. I can't imagine that my grandfather's life would have gone better. I don't think my father's would have, either. And you can't say that someone's life will go better if they go to school because you need a degree to be hired for almost any job now. We can change that. And we should.

Helljumper and revgen like this.
  11. therealdeal

My advice to young high school students is to find a field they enjoy and make their way there. Go back and get your degree at night if you need one to move up in the company you find yourself. That way you get the degree when you need it and you don't find yourself in great debt at 22-23 years old. Not to mention some companies and fields will pay for your college education in order to help you move up (Target for instance will help educate you).

Unless you want to go into the medical field, maybe information systems, maybe engineering... There's some fields you should go for right away, but for me? I know a lot of graduates that end up just going to any old job they can find with little to no help from their degrees.

12. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Yeah, I wish it worked like that today. Most high school (and even college) graduates don't really have any idea what they want to do. It would be awesome if people had the opportunity to explore multiple fields, start out in basic entry-level jobs, learn skills as they work, and then eventually get a degree to help them climb up the ladder once they've gained experience and have a better sense of what they want to do. And to not have to go into immense debt at a young age to do that? Sign me up. But that's not how things are set up for us today. Those "any old jobs" that the people you know are getting despite being unrelated to their degrees ... are only obtainable with a degree now.

I want to try to keep my own personal bias and frustrations out of this as much as I can, but from my experience if you want a job in a promising field (and I'm not just talking about medicine/engineering) that has a sustainable wage and upward mobility, you NEED to get a degree and put yourself in ~50k of debt. Not because you need that college education to do your job, but because the powers that be have decided that you need to give them money for a piece of paper before you're allowed to start earning anything of substance for yourself.

I hate to pull the age card, but things DO change and my youth is not your youth.

Life is not like this:

[​IMG]

It's a little more like this:

[​IMG]

Barnstable likes this.
  13. therealdeal

What jobs are you looking into?

14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Find something you love and give it everything you've got and the money will come.

I truly believe that.

15. Helljumper

Student
    So do I, but let's not be complacent and allow things to obstruct that and make it increasingly difficult for future generations.

Long term (well, hopefully not too long), I want to get into business and management (most likely in something related to biotech). Not like as an MBA, but as an analytical engineer. Looking at all the components of a business and seeing how to make things run the most efficiently. And I genuinely believe capitalism, or the form of it we're seeing today, does slightly hinder that efficiency.

To be clear, I think my education and bioengineering degree was great. It gave me, in my opinion, a very versatile analytical mindset. Just didn't really specialize me for anything. I think that's exactly WHY I'd be good for that kind of analytical management position. I'm not the most skilled chemist, biologist, or physicist, but I know enough about the theory of all of it (and it influences my world view so heavily) that I think I can manage a team of chemists, biologists, and physicists to create something of substance. Maybe not right now, but I can learn to do it.

But when you think "Bioengineering" you probably think of some dude in a lab coat doing cell cultures or something like that. So I'm going to apply to some graduate programs in "Engineering Management" since that more clearly conveys where I think my skills and interests lay. But I'm not sure if I can afford to go another $30k in debt to do it. I mean long term I know it'd be a good investment, but it's daunting. The whole application process will take a while though.

So in the meantime, I've realized that if one day I want to run a business, I need to treat myself as a business. I've extracted some good experience and personal connections from my current job, but at a certain point I think the opportunity cost of me sticking around to do unengaging work and not expanding my horizons outweighs my salary.

So what jobs am I looking into? Everything. Sales, engineering, administration, teaching, R&D, manufacturing. Biotech, entertainment, energy, software.

Not to say that I'm going to quit my job and jump into the first job offer I get. I might even end up sticking around at my current job while waiting to hear back for grad schools, but I still want to interview at a wide variety of other places to learn about other types of business, and because maybe one of them happens to be a great fit for me in this interim period.

therealdeal, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  16. therealdeal

That's basically the story I'm seeing everywhere and it's more or less my point. I understand and appreciate that you got some great value from your degree. I work with and know a lot of graduates that get degrees that are far less specialized than yours and those are the ones I'm talking about. I know business majors, communications majors, liberal arts majors, and even forestry majors that graduated with that degree and got absolutely zero from it professionally.

I love that you're trying to get into a graduate program. My advice (and I'm sure you've heard it already) is find a company in the field and try to intern there. It's a hard, long process but if you stick to it you can find the rewarding work you want. THAT is what I tell kids to do. You might have to intern by day and work a second job by night to make ends meet. My brother did that coming out of the military. He worked with a tech startup and interned for 8 months before they CREATED a position for him as an analytic consultant. It's tough, but if that's what you want to do then that's the kind of effort you need to put into it.

I'm a salesman and I make a good living for myself. It's not the only thing I want hough. I've also got a few writing jobs that I do on the side (I love writing, I don't know if you can tell since I'm on this site so often :D ). I put in a lot of time and effort into those projects to hopefully have one of them take off and I can do that full time because while I appreciate my sales job, it's just not that rewarding.

Really though, I applaud you for doing what you love and having a plan. You are different from a lot of graduates. So many kids these days are encouraged to go to college for the experience and get a degree and are given almost no direction in what degree to get. They're not necessarily given the attention they need to figure out where they want to go so they get a degree that may or may not be helpful and they find themselves basically gone in a circle that cost them 30K in debt. It's hard for me to see that and not grow bitter towards the process. That's why I encourage people not to just go to college without a plan (maybe that's how I should have said it). For a great many people college is a platform to great things. I know pilots that I went to school with, executives, etc. but there's also a great, great many that go to school and find that the degree they paid for isn't as helpful as they'd been lead to believe. Then they end up taking a sales position to make ends meet and find that there's a good career to be had there that they could have started before they went to school and acquired so much debt.

revgen and Helljumper like this.
  17. Helljumper

Student
    Thanks for the response, there's some really solid advice there! You are right that I gotta grind more and the idea of interning and working at the same time is a good one. Especially if I can move back with my parents for a little bit to reduce my expenses. I've applied to a few interesting jobs around their area, but if I don't hear back from those places, maybe I should contact them about a temporary internship position. Just to get real experience and a foot in the door, while probably freeing up a bit more time and energy for me to focus on grad applications and other interests.

Out of curiosity, what kind of writing do you do on the side and how are you able to monetize it? I've been looking into freelance writing just to make a couple bucks on the side after work since I already spend so much time writing huge posts on here lmao.

Because while I have my career plan vaguely mapped out right now and I think it will end up getting me into work I enjoy, I'm still a kid at heart and have other things I'm truly passionate about. When not job hunting, looking into grad schools, watching Laker games, and watching presidential debates, I've been trying to use my remaining free time reading, writing, and creating music. Right now just for a fun creative outlet. But hey, maybe in 10 years I've written an interesting novel or made a cool album and am at a point in my career where I have the wealth to publish it.

18. therealdeal

I'll PM you some of the things I'm working on. I don't want the riffraff around here taking my ideas and running with 'em!

Barnstable likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    therealdeal, ZenMaster and revgen like this.
  20. Barnstable

Relevant to tuition costs: