2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

What was the other time?

2. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I'm having a hard time finding it but it was either this year or last year when he said something flattering about our future.

He also recently said in his new Podcast he started a few weeks ago (which is great by the way) that he thinks LBJ is going to PHI if he leaves CLE.

3. therealdeal

There's been a few people trying to get that going. I'll admit, it makes a little sense on paper, but I'd have a really hard time imagining LeBron putting his name/brand in with that franchise after what they've just done (the shameless tanking). I would be okay with it though as long as we get Paul George.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Oh, I don't think that matters, the tanking history to LBJ. If anything I think he would say that add to an even better story of redemption for them and him helping them overcome the hurdle.

If it looks like it makes a little sense on paper it makes even more sense if he wants to continue getting to the finals. Not to mention one of the biggest reasons is he stays in the East where it isn't as grueling. Plus, if he comes in and helps Philly win a title which everyone knows whether they want to admit it or not that Philly is a great sports town that would only enhance his likability and legacy. We know LBJ cares about that.

Lastly, he's already really friendly with Embiid and Simmons and I can already see the marketing efforts. King James is priming the Prince (Ben Simmons) to take over when his career is coming to an end. There are also pictures just like there was this summer of LBJ's wife going around private school for their children. In the summer it was LA and during the all star break it was in Philly they were spotted.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  5. therealdeal

I actually think his ego is far too massive to be training a Prince at this stage in his career. What I'm seeing from LeBron is not too dissimilar at all from 2012 Kobe Bryant: just a little past his prime, but not quite knowing it yet. This was the same time frame where Kobe was alienating potential partners (calling Dwight his "Chandler" when Dwight was more talented) instead of being collaborative. Of course Kobe turned out to have the right read on Dwight, but it wasn't really conducive to winning that season and created an awkward atmosphere.

I do think LeBron cares about where he goes and the optics on it. I think that's really important to him. He quickly wrote off the Clippers for exactly that reason and part of the appeal of Los Angeles to LeBron is that same redemption story, but with the strongest brand in basketball. I don't underestimate at all the kind of brand power that a LeBron/Laker duo would create.

Who has a better shot at a title faster:

Ball/
    George/Hart
    Ingram/Kuzma
    LeBron/Frye
    Randle/Lopez/Bryant

or

Simmons/McConnell
    Fultz/Reddick
    Covington/Anderson
    LeBron/Saric
    Embiid/

I don't know. It's a good question. Who gives the better pitch? What ancillary factors apply? As long as we get George, I'd be fine if LeBron chose Philadelphia and we prepared to make a run at Kawhi by offering big one-year deals. I still think if Kawhi is available though, someone will trade for him (I suspect Boston) so that'll change things as well.

JohnnyComeLately2k6, abeer3 and TIME like this.
  6. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Yeah, it's tough. But I could just see that James picking Philly because yes, the Lakers lineup looks more attractive but work smarter not harder. Because of that why not go to Philly where the path to the finals whether you win it or not is the least resistant.

Also, you mention BOS going after Kwahi in a trade. I wonder what that would look like. What young player(s) would they let go off. Seems to be a log jam at the forward positions

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  7. therealdeal

I don't disagree on LeBron, I just wonder how the other factors bleed into it. I think the Philly and the LA lineups look similar in terms of effectiveness, but I'm obviously biased towards what we're doing over here and the kind of balance our lineups could have. Our ability to switch and move, play at a high pace, and affect games defensively seems like a terrific match with an older-but-still-talented veteran.

I'd say Boston could throw 2 1sts, Jaylen Brown, and make salaries match. They could maybe sign and trade Marcus Smart over there although that would be tough to do financially. They'll figure out something though if Kawhi becomes really available. My question is: if that happens, do the Lakers put together a trade package? We had the opportunity to do that for George and didn't, but I think we've been given assurances that we've got a more than good chance at signing Paul this summer. I don't know that we've been given those assurances by Kawhi and his people. There's almost no smoke there.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    The biggest difference between Philly and us for LeBron comes down to ball dominance. Simmons needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Kid can’t hit a shot outside the paint to save his life. Lonzo has the ability to move the ball super quick and is not a dribble oriented PG. It is a much better fit for him here.

But, that said, I’d enjoy watching LeBron go to Philly, followed by the annual Embiid injury, then watch him and Simmons wrestle over the ball.

OmarE, gcclaker, Cookie and 9 others like this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

real's right: if the spurs don't think kawhi is there long-term, he's getting traded. in other words, all the 2019 kawhi plans aren't good ones, imo. at that point, he'll be either staying in SA or staying where he was traded to. if you want leonard, make a legit pitch this summer.

and yes, boston has the right pieces: a high pick in this draft or the next one + jaylen brown probably gets SA's attention. we'd probably have to open at ingram/kuzma just to be competitive.

are either of those rosters likely/possible? does philly have enough cash for lebron and redick (no bird rights on redick)? can the lakers afford george, lebron, AND lopez? i mean, without dumping deng, they can't even afford the first two.

10. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

So that $103M+ projection doesn't look to be a reality anymore. If next season's cap is stuck at 101M (a meager 2M more than this season's 99M cap), then with Deng and Jules cap hold, LA has just over 51M in team salary, meaning Bron & George have to take off roughly 16M from their true max (66M combined) to fit into roughly 50M of our cap space.

Stretching Deng (7.4M vs 18M) gives us roughly 61M in space so Bron/George would only have to "sacrifice" 5M between them.

If George is a knucklehead and would rather stay in OKC, we can turn to Kawhi and boy would that be interesting, since he could very well be the "Love" type piece that we trade for if Bron decides to come to LA to partner up with him. In that case, SA is not too far from Dallas, so would a S&T for Jules along with some picks be enticing enough to get Kawhi here? Per Amick, theres alot of smoke with the cLips creating a Kawhi trade package and part of me thinks that is either SA, Kawhi's camp or Bron's camp using the cLips as leverage for the Lakers to up an offer. But would we rather hold off till 2019 to sign him outright without giving up assets? Would Bron be down to wait a year?

Crazy summer(s) up ahead.

OmarE, JohnnyComeLately2k6 and abeer3 like this.
  11. therealdeal

I'd say Kuzma is the most likely to move in that case, but are we willing to do that? Same rules apply here as did with George and I know you and I would make the move, but the Lakers haven't been doing it that way.

Both of those teams are likely assuming Lopez and Reddick are willing to take the Room Exception to compete. Lopez recently said he would take a significant pay cut to be with a competitor and I figure Reddick would too (his market doesn't look great this summer anyway). In my scenario we used the Cavs pick, our 2nd, Zubac, and future 1st(s) to move Deng which is something Pincus said would get traction this summer considering the marketplace as well as only two years being left on Deng's deal. Both teams are absolutely possible.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

maybe george re-signing in okc and lebron going to houston will prompt a lakers trade offer for kawhi?

13. therealdeal

I'd think they'd want to double down on their own instead at that point.

14. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

If Kawhi is traded to Boston, I can see Bron wanting out of the east cause Ky, Klaw and Hayward are formidable even if they are all ??? in terms of health.

I still find it extremely difficult for Bron to go to Houston without Cp3 and Bron both agreeing to significant paycuts from their true maxs. But I wouldn't put anything past Morey... It's just this particular feat seems damn near impossible without significant financial help from Bron and Cp3.

With the Boogie injury we lost some our ability for a contigency...But now with Kawhi, a new Kawntingency came out and said hi.

Obviously that's great for the Lakers...The more options the better.

15. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I’d love to get Kawhi (healthy that is) but all the rumors and speculation seems very flimsy to me. Nothing substanciative like “sauces” of him demanding a trade, or telling SA he’s out when his contract is up.

It feels a lot more like fans wishing and reporters running with faint stories to gain clicks to me at this point.

16. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Great points here by all, really enjoying the chat.

I brought up the point about Kawhi a few weeks ago, and at the time I asked how would everyone feel if SA agreed to a trade if we offered one of Lonzo or Ingram alongside Kuzma and some picks. To be perfectly honest, I’d send Lonzo over Ingram in the trade 10 times out of 10. I think Ingram has a chance to be a top 10 player in this league, he can facilitate, score, shoot and defend and I don’t believe the facilitating that Lonzo brings to the table - no matter how great - will be enough to outweigh Ingram’s complete game. As an aside, the potential problem of Lonzo’s dad is fixed too.

Truthfully, I can’t see any scenario, where we get a trade done for Kawhi with only a single asset like Kuzma, in fact I think it takes two young studs and two 1sts to get it done.

In my opinion, Kawhi is worth it, he is a top 5 player in the league when he is on and the closest thing to Jordan/Kobe you can get. I’d be sad to lose the young guys, but I think the Klaw is good enough to win a ring by himself with good role players - just like Dirk did - and with a running mate, I think he is good enough for multiple rings.

If we get a trade for Kawhi done, I think we become THE destination for Lebron and at that point we compete immediately with Hou and GSW.

My plan of attack would be to offer Lonzo, Kuzma, Deng, two 1sts and a 2nd for Kawhi and one of Green or Gay to match salaries. If we could get that done, our guaranteed salary would be just a touch under 48m including the cap hold for Randle while keeping Zubac, Bryant and Ennis. At that point I would immediately offer Lopez 15m and sit down with Lebron and max him at 35m leaving us at a total of 98m or so. I would then go and sign Randle to his 15-17m, leaving us at 110m or so. We could sign someone like IT to the MLE and have space to bring on two ring chasers for the vet min. Through out this process I’d make sure we stay under the tax apron of 122m. The end team would be something like:

Ingram (5.8m) / MLE (8.5m) / Ennis (1.7m)
    Green (10m) / Hart (1.7m) / Vet Min (2.4m)
    Kawhi (20m) / Vet Min (2.4m)
    LeBron (35m) / Randle (15m)
    Lopez (15m) / Zubac (1.5m) / Bryant (1.4m)

I think we convince Lebron when we explain we have Kawhi, Ingram, Green & Lopez on the books - guaranteed, and as soon as he signs we move on to locking in Randle and another solid player to the MLE. It’s a team we could keep for 3 years and compete right away. Once Lebron, Lopez and Green all fade into the rear view over the next 3 years, we still have Kawhi in his prime at 29, Ingram at 24, Hart and Randle at 27 and potentially space for another big FA to join them. So we’re set up to compete currently and post Lebron.

With LeBron, Ingram can excel with his transition to PG and we’d have great shooters around them in Green, Lopez and Kawhi. We could continue to employ our switch 1-4 defence and ice the PnR towards the base line to protect Lopez as much as possible. We could be a really great defensive team with Ingram, Green, Kawhi, Hart on the wings, Randle switching well and as we all know Lopez can guard the rim if he doesn’t need to move his feet a lot. We could sign someone like IT to the MLE as an explosive 6th man and ask him to run that PnR with Randle that was so deadly.

This would be the ultimate dream scenario for me for the offseason.

abeer3 likes this.
  17. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Going on from the above, why do spurs do it? If they are going to trade Kawhi, and knowing how good they are at drafting, they can look at the opportunity as 5 potential young players in Lonzo, Kuzma, two 1sts and a 2nd, for the cost of taking on Deng for 2 years. If they wanted to go a full rebuild, they could trade Aldridge for additional 1sts and tank (with Deng and Pau as their tank commanders) for one year, get a high draft pick of their own and effectively rebuild their whole roster in the space of a year, setting up a whole new potential dynasty.

Why go for Kawhi instead of PG? Apart from Kawhi clearly being the better player, PG's max is much higher and we couldn't sign Lopez/Randle in that scenario unless we used young assets to get rid of Deng. Even at that point, it would be only resigning one of Lopez and Randle.

What happens if PG resigns with OKC and we do nothing and hope to sign Lebron? Chances are if Lebron wants to seriously compete, he goes to Philly because - like it or not - Embid, Simmons, Covington, Saric and Fultz are better than Randle, Ingram, Hart, Kuzma and Lonzo. They have two players that could be top 5 talent in the future.

Like Vas said, crazy summer ahead!

abeer3 and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Stop crushing our dreams SVTZR:Tabarnak:

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

to be clear, i thought it would take kuz AND ingram.

20. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Crushing dreams? I just outlined how to get Ingram, Kawhi, Lebron, Randle and Lopez all on one team with Danny Green, Isaiah Thomas, Josh Hart making up the 6th, 7th and 8th best players on the squad. What more dream building can I do Kareem?!? :JerryBuss2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.