2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Is there a way for us to get Whiteside while having enough for Kawhi next year?

PurPle n GoLd 1 likes this.
  2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Yeah kinda...

We have to stretch Whiteside or dump his contract either completely (like Lin with ATL) or partially (like Melo for Shroe with ATL) into cap space.

We need 32.7m in cap space next summer to max out Kawhi and if we stretch Whiteside that'll add about 9m of dead cap to the books, but will give us about 38m in cap space.

Also in a move that was seen coming since cLips had 17 on the roster and needed to trim it before camp...

They're still sitting on 15 guaranteed contracts and Beverley's nonguaranteed deal...so they're either waiving him or if they want to keep him then they have to conduct another roster clearing trade (if not expanding this Dekker deal) to get to 15.

therealdeal, OmarE and abeer3 like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL at Beverly and his punk play and big mouth on the Clippers if he too winds up gone.

gcclaker and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, so two of the three "pieces" in the cp deal are being intentionally shed for nothing, eh? yeah, great move, fellas.

5. vasashi17

So true...It essentially became a 3teamer with the cLips getting a 31y/o Lou @3y24m (8m this year), Htown getting a 33y/o Cp3 @4y159.7m (35.7m this year) and the Lakers getting a 23y/o Hart @4y8.5m (1.7m this year).

Grade that deal...

Purp n Gold, abeer3, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Countdown until the twins end up in LA?

7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Remember when he was a big name we were courting during free agency?

8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    sadly yes. yet another example of missing out on a player ends up being a blessing in disguise

9. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Every player that shunned us was an overrated, non impact player. The best player in the NBA did come. What does that tell you?

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we're very lucky?

side note: i've particularly enjoyed lamarcus aldridge's rapid decline in importance/stature, and the fact that he demanded a trade like, one year into his tenure in SA and had to be talked out of it by pop. i thought his camp leaking that our pitch meeting wasn't impressive was one of the more classless things i've seen from a business perspective in the nba. it was telling that his handlers quickly made him agree to meet a second time with the lakers so that each side could save face in some way, but the damage was done.

it's ok, brah. we'll help shovel dirt on your rodeo grave. lighten the load for ya.

11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Yes.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

my dad said the other day he thought toronto might implode spectacularly, and i'm beginning to think he's right. their biggest returning star has to have a rocky relationship with the FO right now, is undersized, overpaid, has a history of injuries, and is approaching an age where small guards start to decline rapidly. they have a rookie coach replacing a guy who was fairly popular with players and won 59 games and COY last year. their GM's seat is hot, and they have a fair amount of cash in a frontcourt they'd prefer not to play in tandem. finally, who knows where's leonard's mind and body are at? but og anunoby, right gaiz?

13. therealdeal

I think they're preparing for a complete teardown in 2019 to be honest. They'd love it Kawhi suddenly helped them catch fire, but I think they're fully prepared to go into the lottery again very soon. They've got some solid young pieces to work with, but nothing mind blowing. I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped Lowry to OKC or something at the deadline even. I have strong doubts they'd trade Kawhi, but we'll see on that front too.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

thats a weird destination u have lowry going to, they have 60 mill annually between russ/shroeder at pg spot

15. therealdeal

I'm assuming Schroeder doesnt work out.

16. vasashi17

Conflicting reports here, however if the Rox get off of Anderson's contract before we get off of Dengs AND they get an asset like Baze without giving up much to get him, I'll be just a tad upset about it.

Better not f***ing happen!!!!

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

more like dumb luck, as in we had dumb front office but still got lucky until we werent (deng/mozgov) lol

18. therealdeal

Melton and a first isn't a cheap trade for Houston.

Besides, Bazemore's deal doesn't fit our situation. We're in a different place than Houston (thankfully). They're a "contender" trying to maximize their window where we're still flexible and building. Adding Bazemore could hurt our flexibility.

19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Not to mention we have something like 10 players that can play the 3 spot already.

20. vasashi17

Baze has a player option next summer for 19m and is 29. Ariza is 33 and got a 15m deal in a cold summer for free agents. It's a 1year deal cause there is money to be had next summer (which is what all our free agents not named Bron did as well).

Th salary cap went from 99.1m to 101.9m this summer...a modest jump. As for next summer, it's projected to jump to 109m and possibly a bit more. Then consider that half the league will have a minimum of 20m in cap to spend.

I suspect Baze will opt out next summer which will make him an expiring deal. Plus if the rumor is that it will take Melton and a pick to move Anderson, then by the time negotiations take place that demand could drop...and that is what I'm implying as an asset like Baze being got without giving up much.

It was the perimeter D and not Capela's interior defense (Htown were top 3 in points given up in the paint last year) that made Houston formidable defensively. This is why an analytics guy like Morey was hesitant to break the bank for Capela (if his unlikely incentives don't kick in, he'll be paid about 15m next season). Don't get it twisted, Baze will be an amazing get for Htown with the loss of Ariza/Moute.

Deng already hurts our flexibility with his 2 year fully guaranteed deal. Baze's contract plus his contributions on defense make him far more valuable and moveable (ie flexible) than Deng's deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.