WMC 20-21: Whine, Moan And Complain... You Know You Want To

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I bet Pop and the Spurs would LOVE to ruin our season. It should never come to one game deciding a teams faith (not in a play-in format).

JD likes this.
  2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    True, good point. While the play-in might give the opportunity for a more deserving 9 seed to make it in, it might also allow for a fluky situation where undeserving teams get in.

Still think it’s making the battle for seeding positions more interesting than it would have otherwise been, and generally like the concept.

Barnstable likes this.
  3. JD

JD - Rookie -

Retired
    Obviously not. #lol

4. JD

JD - Rookie -

Retired
    Looks like a personal attack to me.

But... you're a mod. So it's ok.

You don't know s*** about me.

5. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

It's an unpopular opinion, but I feel the same.

The last few games of the regular season actually mean something to teams now, and you don't hear about nothing but who's tanking. Seems like most of the bad teams now feel they have a chance for the playoffs and don't have to tank.

D-Fish Man and Helljumper like this.
  6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I don't know where you've been or what experience you've had before, but you've got some ideas about mods that don't apply on LB. Mods are just fans like the rest of us. They get to have an opinion, and voice their opinion about any post just like you would have as a member. They can agree or disagree with any topic just like you can.

If you're worried about a mod power tripping, you've made at least three personal attacks and or baiting posts in the past few pages, grounds by the forum rules for a ban, yet you're still here, as we'd rather warn you, hope you recognize the forum rules, and get back to talking about the Lakers than argue.

You have no idea when a mod get's a warning, a request to cool it, a suspension, or a permanent ban, just like we don't usually announce members receiving them. Mods have gotten all 4 in the history of this forum, just like any other member, so please don't assume based on other forums.

tada, JSM, Banner18 and 4 others like this.
  7. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Anyway, Blazers lost. If Dallas wins out, Blazers play Clips.

Those losses to Dallas and Sac are so costly. We should have been 5.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  8. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I’m ok with the play in games within certain parameters. I would only have the 8th place, play the 9th place and only if they are within 2 games of each other. I still like 8th place getting the last slot but I wouldn’t complain if they had to play an extra game. That way if a team had a ton of injuries early (like us) they can still get into the playoffs where they would have been if healthy.

Oops, just noticed this was the WMC thread.....so, freaking injuries this year suck.

tada, D-Fish Man, abeer3 and 3 others like this.
  9. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

Agreed. If we finish 4 or 5 games ahead of the Warriors/Grizz, there is no way they should be able to take a spot with a single game win. Ridiculous.

tada, Kenzo, lakerjones and 4 others like this.
  10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I have no problem with the League trying to stir some interest with the play in concept. But a single game is, like you described it, ridiculous. It should be a minimum of best of three games. Any team can get hot or cold in one game. The league will learn their lesson if the Lakers get knocked out in a one game play-in, and they lose the the TV ratings of no Lakers in the playoffs.

Kenzo, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

or curry turns an ankle in the first quarter of the first play-in game when you could have had something to make anyone watch a first-round series involving utah.

12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

League is in big trouble ratings and money wise. While the Lakers are a world wide brand and do not feel the effects of the downturn, the majority of the teams in the league are feeling it. Mr. Social Justice leader Lebron has a point about someone needing to be fired for making this play in. However, he is indirectly the cause of it because Adam Silver is trying to figure out some way to bring the audience back.

13. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

NBA ratings have been dropping for a while now. started well before last summer

they need to look at the product they're putting out before anything. no one wants to watch guys chuck 3 after 3. i really hate what the league has become

Savory Griddles, Kenzo and abeer3 like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, the fact that threes and fts became the path to victory is something that can be fixed.

Juronimo and JSM like this.
  15. OX1947

Hitching the wagon to players like James Harden and whining cry babies like Kevin Durant has played a part. James Harden's game is one of the lousiest games to watch no matter how good he is. He is the Floyd Mayweather of basketball. Kyrie Irving, even though he isn't an MVP or really a house hold name in most of the country, is a cancer to NBA viewership not only with his mouth but the fact that he likes to Lake Havasu it every other week.

The league tried to use Steph Curry as the current generation star. It worked for a while but Steph kind of drowned himself when he got involved in the "we ain't going to the white house" bit even though he said he would be willing to sit down and talk the issues. He scaled back likely on that because he didn't want to end up getting the Russell Wilson treatment from his colleagues.

If the NBA wants to get some of the fans back, probably wont happen until Lebron retires. He has polluted a lot of the water. However, what Silver can do right now to help is get rid of these damn replays every 5 min because some guy busted a** too hard on a lay up. These flagrant fouls on routine defensive plays are stupid. Also, let their be some emotion in the game instead of tossing every human being in the building for just looking at someone. David Stern and his stupid a** ushered in all this garbage because he was a dictator a****** who couldn't even keep crooked refs and racist owners out of his league.

Make the league fun. Get rid of the zone trash. This is the NBA. Let the stars play and make plays the way they are suppose to. Get rid of the one and done. Let players make a choice. Either they jump to the NBA straight from high school or go to the G-League or they go to college until their are 20 years old. The better the player is coming out of college, the better quality the game will have.

Now, another issue that isn't likely going to get fixed no matter what, is the attire and look of today's athlete. One of the main reasons MMA, UFC, is still a niche league is because everyone looks like they rolled over in s*** filled with ink and rolled out of jail. The NBA is not that far off from the ink, but worse, most NBA players look like they just woke up from sleeping and just look unkept. This plays a big part. No one wants to watch a bunch of dirty looking, tattoo'd filled big mouths. At least not the general fan who just wants to watch a game.

I love my teams too much to ever stop watching. It's who I am and I what I am. I love my teams and I love sports and there isnt a chance in hell im letting anything political take that away from me. Bastards are trying to take everything from us, no eff'in way they are taking sports away. However, the big money is in those people who arent regulars. The general audience fills in the gap. And right now, that gap is the size of a crater.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  16. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

[​IMG]

SamsonMiodek and abeer3 like this.
  17. OX1947

Classic movie....my favorite scene...

[​IMG]

abeer3 likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i agree with ox on movies, but not on his non-basketball reasons for not liking the game.

agree that harden was and continues to be a major problem. he made bs acceptable. i watched trae young take 3 steps the other day and was like, man...kobe would score 60 a night. announcers (not hawks homers, either) are like: see, that's not a travel! yes, yes it was.

to me, curry was a good guy to pin the hopes of the league on, but he was a little fragile--his being less than 100% probably cost the warriors at least one ring.

anyway, the league needs to understand what's valuable about basketball versus other sports. to me, it's creativity and grace, and then the pace of the action--particularly ball and player movement--things people like about soccer but way faster and with more varied scoring methods and opportunities.

any rule change that could increase ball and player movement on offense would go a long way to improving the quality of the game, imo.

LTLakerFan and KobeJeterKaep like this.
  19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

True, but it certainly doesn't help when you have the political stuff going on. I think it's a perfect storm of several factors. I think not having fans in the stands hurts it in an indirect way as well.

Basketball peaked. Soccer might overtake it at some point. A lot of parents are not going to allow their kids to play football which may push the elite athletes from that sport to soccer since basketball has a built-in height requirement. Not saying it will be MLS that overtakes the NBA, but the combination of all the European leagues and a stronger MLS might make soccer bigger than basketball in this country eventually.

abeer3 likes this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

d'antoni set the foundation for what the league has become

curry, klay, and harden made it happen