WMC 23-24: Whine, Moan & Complain! LET THE COMPLAINING BEGIN!

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by puffyusaf#2, Aug 2, 2021.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i obviously agree that stacking stars isn't the way. but when daryl morey preaches it, these pasty quinns get in line and lap it up as "brilliant strategy".

seriously, the worst parts of what our FO does is EXACTLY in line with moreyball and our resident slick: role players are all equally interchangeable, stack and cater to stars.

again, i disagree, but you don't get to call it genius in one circumstance and stupidity in another just because of who's executing it.

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

This is why i was ultimately okay with making a trade without a big star. That ships sailed now though.

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

So we threw in a young defensive wing with good size and a cheap contract (Johnson) in a THT trade for 34 YO BevMo so that he could be our defensive wing at 6 foot 1? Such a freaking joke.

4. ElginTheGreat

I feel like those of us in the complaint section having been screaming that this is what they were doing for weeks.

5. lakerjones

Totally. It was a $&!% move by Rob. What a j******. I didn’t know j****** was a swear word lol? There’s a movie and TV show by that name!

6. ElginTheGreat

We will see what happens but everyone should be prepared for us to waste several weeks chasing Kyrie next offseason.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. lakerjones

That seemed to work so well this year.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

rob's comment on how he plans to trade the picks makes me think we don't end up with space next summer. i think he's hoping an aging star wants out of somewhere (e.g., beal), and russ's expiring plus some firsts will get it done sometime between dec-feb. it's a gamble, but it's my only hope, really.

9. ElginTheGreat

Honestly, I'm hoping for the same. Things change and someone will want to leave their current situation. He may already be hearing things via rumors among execs.

But, given how difficult its been for us to make a trade up to this point, I do think everyone should be ready for us to go back after Kyrie if nothing materializes.

abeer3 and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think kyrie, lillard, beal, maybe even simmons are all guys that rob is probably monitoring, and yes, my guess is he has reason to believe someone will shake loose and that they'll want to come here.

it's risky, but when indy wanted two 1sts for hield/turner, i'm not sure what else you can do. hope your bargaining position improves.

ElginTheGreat, Cookie and alam1108 like this.
  11. lakerjones

Yeah Indy did not want to play ball. That was a nonstarter. But Rob is still on the three star daydreaming and I don’t love it at all. Sure use the picks for Irving. But when that is no longer an option you need to go to plan B. We could have gotten useful players on decent contracts and filled out the roster logically with one pick and Russ in a trade with Utah. We did not and are still hoping for some miracle trade at the deadline while stacking the roster with Russ fill ins at point guard.

ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  12. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Stars are available and actually play. How many stars do we have again? Or do we answer that after the season? Because past history doesn't help anyone this year if you can't stay on the floor, stay in front of your defender, or stay in the lineup.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we still don't know exactly what as on the table with utah.

it does sound like we were against any deal in which we both a) took on salary past next year and b) gave up a pick.

this concerns me, but again, we don't know the exact details.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

The issue is that Kyrie is the only one that will be a cheap as 2 1sts... baggage reasons. Rest well cost significantly more that we don't have and can't scrounge up in our couch cushions.

But I agree that's definitely his plan and I think it's a fool's errand. I think depth is the way to go considering we have and will continue to have a roster full of minimum guys on 1 year deals.

ElginTheGreat, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think he's sold jeanie on thinking bigger than finishing 3rd this year.

that said, i'd rather roll russ over to expirings the following year (hayward, for example) and get a 1st for the favor, so that when the next donovan mitchell happens (booker is a prime candidate there), we'll have the salary ballast and a bunch of picks.

i can't believe we honestly are planning to operate under the cap this summer. it's sort of unfathomable. i know the press is talking about it, but the press is stupid, as we've recently established.

Cookie likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

I can understand any organization wanting to avoid a repeater tax because it's so punitive. Good teams have to manage around that whether they have leBron or not.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. sirronstuff

I just realized today how apathetic I am about this team. I can't imagine tuning in unless they prove they can play hard, compete, and actually be somewhat entertaining. The effort and results the last two years, the excuses, the roster, the characters we signed.... just so much :hurl:

:Kobepuking:

I knew watching games post Kobe would be tough for awhile, but I'm just so completely disappointed in every facet of everything. I used to work my schedule around making sure I had the option to watch games. Now I'm literally like "Oh there was a game last night?"

I'm completely void of give a rats arse. How did we get here?

:Kareemlook:

FU leBron

:FishPoint: [​IMG] :KobePoint:

You may have won a championship while a Laker, and you may set the all time scoring record as a Laker, but to me, you'll never be a Laker. You'll be the whiny b**** a** flopping blaming finger pointing ball shrinking player with flopping compilations on YouTube that you've always been. GTFO.

there, feel better. Carry on.

KareemtheGreat33 likes this.
  18. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

Whelp, I knew they would have issues shooting with this roster.
    Tonight they shot 7-29 from three (24%) and 24-77 from inside the arc (34%).
    Only the first game, but all who played minus two (Pippen Jr. and Christie) are projected to be in the regular rotation.
    Like Rob said, hopefully we can see some real improvement from the players we have in the shooting department.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

We need some more consistency with our scrubs, like year to year scrubs. That way maybe our scrubs won’t be 30 points worse than the scrubs on teams like the Kings.

Cookie, JSM, ElginTheGreat and 2 others like this.
  20. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

preseason will be a great indicator of this team's success, despite a lot of people saying it doesn't matter

in 2012 they went winless in preseason and the season was a disaster. same thing last season

FrontOfJersey22 likes this.