Who Should Be In The Starting Lineup?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Panko, Mar 29, 2023.

?

Who should be in the starting lineup?

1. Austin Reaves

2. Malik Beasley

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

I have seen this discussion take place in several different threads, let's consolidate it here!

Most of the discussion currently is about whether to start Austin Reaves or Malik Beasley. After you vote, please give your rationale below..

Most people seem to agree on the other starters: D'Angelo Russell, LeBron James, Jarred Vanderbilt, and Anthony Davis. If you think someone else should be starting instead of one of those, please discuss that as well.

We of course hope that both LeBron and AD are healthy and stay in the starting lineup, but if anyone wants to discuss what the lineups should be if one of those is out, then that is up for discussion as well.

LTLakerFan, abeer3 and lakerjones like this.
  2. Panko

Panko - Rookie -

The argument for Reaves seems to be that he is more consistent and the better all around player, so he should start - just look at what the starters did tonight with him in it!

The argument for Beasley seems to be that we need his shooting when he is on, and he will play better and shoot better when next to DLo, Bron & AD, who all draw more attention and can get him the ball in good positions for 3. While Beasley also benefits them by providing spacing for the others to work with. This is not as much the case when with Schroder, Brown, Rui & Gabriel, there are less benefits to him and them. Meanwhile, Reaves would really help that bench unit, and isn't necessary with the starters, it is duplicative, whereas Beasley is more complementary to the other starters, and Reaves is more complementary to the other bench players.

Did I miss anything?

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Nice thread. I really feel strongly that Beasley should start again, ASAP now that Lebron is back. He needs to get going and that's best done in the starting unit where Lebron and Dlo can feed him, as well as AD passing out of doubles. He's a valuable weapon but he's lost in the bench squad with only Schroder to pass to him, which isn't his strength.

Reaves is just so good he can fit anywhere. It's not a slight or a demotion to have him bolster the bench. Reaves can thrive in that role and then you can insert him as a closer as well. He's the glue guy that's necessary to bring out the best in others. You've already Lebron doing that with the starters. We need that for the bench too.

alam1108, gcclaker, VincePT and 5 others like this.
  4. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I agree with Jones. Austin leading our bench is probably the best look for the team. It doesn't matter if he starts, if he's playing 30 plus minutes. Malik is valuable with the starters, for reasons I stated in other threads, echoed above. Ultimately whatever works for the team, given the matchups we face, is the best option.

lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  5. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

This starting lineup has INSANE potential on both sides ( shooting , ball handling ,rebounding , defense) , you don't ruin its potential to accomodate Malik freaking Beasley who , at best and not on a regular basis , might bring one thing to the table : shooting and nothing else .

Starts of the game and 3rd quarter are the staple of the best teams ..

Better rotations is what this team needs , not a change of the starting 5

6. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I hate this type of thing... AR is the better player and, with the notable exception of Manu, the better should start and play the bulk of minutes with the other starters, especially in the playoffs.

They played 16 minutes together tonight. Because Bacon Pimple is a moron.

I hate AR + Dennis pairing so so much, which is what will happen if AR goes back to the bench, because, again, Bacon Pimple is Wayne Gretzky at heart. Yes, I know they did well, based on numbers, but that also coincided with AR's incredible efficiency run of 4 or 5 games.

Generally, when Dennis and AR are both on the floor, one of them is relegated to standing in the corner. AR is better at that than Dennis, but it's selling him way way short.

To me, this is what should be the staggering (facilitation players only):

AR + DAR + LeBron 6 minutes
    AR + Dennis 2 minute (preferably with AD to force Dennis to give the ball up)
    DAR + Dennis 2 minutes (preferably with Rui + Malik + TB to force Dennis to give the ball up)
    Dennis + Bron 2 minutes

and then more or less repeat throughout.

Dennis should never be on the floor as the sole PG and Dennis should always have a target to dump the ball to.

Panko and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Start Malik
    Finish Austin

More minutes to Austin, but more in the 2nd unit where they need it.

tada, lakerjones, karacha and 2 others like this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

This is where I'm at.

If we stagger properly and pair the right groups together, it wouldn't matter but I don't trust Ham to change his ways this late into his rookie season.

Currently, the second unit needs better organization and could use AR's skill as a glue guy. This would also give AR more opportunities for himself to cook.

The greatest skill Beas brings to the court is a shooter's gravity. That doesn't do a 5 man bench unit any good. Where that helps is when you have stars that draw double and triple teams. His best shooting numbers were next to Bron, I think we need to see if we can recapture that now that Bron is back. DS isn't the facilitator that Beas needs next to him. I also think a starting group can scheme properly to his strengths/weaknesses defensively. That's more difficult with the second unit.

lakerjones, sirronstuff and karacha like this.
  9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

What Sirron said. If I just had to pick 5 guys to play, AR would be in the starting lineup, but I think Malik should start since he plays better with Bron and get get very hot from 3 very quickly. Reaves should finish games and play more minutes.

lakerjones and sirronstuff like this.
  10. ZenMaster

Both of you miss the Dennis angle. Dennis with AR means the ball in Dennis's hand most of the time, so that facilitation you crave for the second unit isn't going to happen.

Dennis pounds a lot, so even as the secondary facilitator, AR's gonna be wasted or put in end-of-clock situations.

I'd keep them as far from each other as possible.

You want Malik next to Bron? Great. Make him the first guard off the bench for DAR or AR. Then run some off-the-curl action for him ... oh, wait. Pimple doesn't know how to design these or how to find "Basketball schemes for dummies" book in his local bodega.

11. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I think it’s really on Ham to figure out how to to this, or there will be some struggles. And he does not exactly fill me with confidence.

Cookie, Panko and ZenMaster like this.
  12. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

I would start Troy over Bease. I am worried about Mo getting to many minutes when he comes back, too, except against Minn or Phx. The bench will need Bron or D Lo out there more than anything else.

13. VincePT

VincePT - Rookie -

I fully agree with this. Beasley is a better fit to start with Lebron and try to get going from 3. Reaves can and should play starter minutes, but he'll perform well in any situation, plus will probably get to take more shots at the rim and handle the ball more with Lebron sitting.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Our bench deteriorated without HBK, what a sad sight

Pioneer10, lakerjones and sirronstuff like this.
  15. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

I believe taking Austin out of the starting line up would be the worst move Ham could make and grounds for termination. We finally have a dangerous starting five. The bench went bad because Ham took everyone out all at once. That was bad coaching. Austin should have been starting all season so it would even more egregious to pull him now when he is playing so well.

16. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

A s*** ton of firepower in the starting unit: in terms of offense it compares favorably to prime GS. They had obviously better guards but nothing in terms of bigs compared to AD/Lebron.

However, outside of Schroeder, the bench doesn't have anyone who stands out as someone who can win you a game. Need better balance and with D.Lo starting putting in a shooter at 2 (either Beasley or Troy) doesn't really change all the much. The bench though gets significantly better as guys like Rui and Wenyen and Brown can play off of both DS and Reaves. If it's just DS alone too easy for other teams to shut that down but Reaves going against second unit guards is just great for the Lakers.

Start Troy or Beasley: I actually pretty much hate Beasley's game but if you learn anything from the Brick era, fit absolutely matters and he is a good fit with the starters. He doesn't have to dribble, be a playmaker, and is protected by AD on defense and on the flip side his shooting actually helps the starters not hinder them

lakerjones likes this.
  17. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Reaves can lead the second unit. He'd be free to create on his own rather than ball watching and waiting. Let him close with Russell in the backcourt.

JSM, lakerjones and Pioneer10 like this.
  18. ZenMaster

Based on the start of the game yesterday and DAR's ability to play off the ball, I'd say AR would be doing more ball watching with Dennis on the second unit. Plenty of evidence of that.

Cookie and Panko like this.
  19. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

I thought of that too given Schröder's propensity to overdribble at times. I do think Reaves would be more assertive with the second unit and will likely close if Ham chooses him there.

lakerjones likes this.
  20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

ham can stagger reaves/dlo better but im not punishing Reaves to accommodate a medicore player, heck even Brown deserves the start more than Beasley. I keep seeing folks say we need his spacing, well i dont see teams defending this team any differently since Brick is gone. Reavez/Dlo also provide space with actual performance to back that up then just theoretical like beasley. Beasley was also a benched player minn/Utah. Just cause beasley has a rep n makes alot $ don't mean we need to accommodate him, mia/nets/dall all have an expensive 3pt specialt, all benched one being buried now in Duncan Robinson. Not catering to an under performer

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Cookie, CarolinaLakerFan and Panko like this.