Which Teams Do Players Like Playing For?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by therealdeal, Feb 18, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This is just a general question. I know teams like NY and LA have the media markets so we get more attention than most.

I'd like to make the point that the Lakers are trying everything in their power to be a "player's destination" team. We're professional, we treat players right, we offer them business opportunities outside of basketball. Obviously the Pau thing was rough, but other than Pau and Lamar we've done nothing but right by our players in recent years. We're trying to foster that reputation.

Meanwhile Phoenix and Houston think they're playing 2K16 and are signing and moving players constantly. Dragic and Isaiah Thomas are already pissed off about the way they have been (and still are) being treated. Players are upset with their organization's approach. Same with Detroit and now Charlotte is doing the same with Stephenson.

"It's a business" is a common mantra these days, but there's something to be said about an organization that players know won't jerk them around. These are human beings with lives and families and they deserve to be treated as such.

What other teams are great "player organizations"? San Antonio probably. I think Miami is on that list probably. Any others?

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Wherever LeBron is playing.
    Dallas, players love Cuban.
    Clippers :sick:

therealdeal likes this.
  3. therealdeal

I actually have heard that OTHER teams can't stand the Clippers. I'm not sure if that means they wouldn't want to go there or not, but I know teams across the NBA say the Clippers are the ones they hate the most.

4. therealdeal

Playing for them is supposed to be good though I've heard. They're a "family" or something.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Everyone seems to hate them but for whatever reason that doesn't stop the endless parade of players cluttering up their bench. I swear they have at least 20 players on the roster. There needs to be a formal investigate of sorts. Maybe it's the glitz and glamour of LA + Doc Rivers that's the draw.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    It's cause they are "RELENTLESS", or at least that's what the TV tells me.

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

I remember a ton of FAs wanting to go there to compete for a ring, but nowadays I'm not hearing much. Their bench is weak as all hell and nobody seems to want to head their way to help them.

Even at their highest peak they're pretenders.

8. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

basically this

it was Miami until LeBron left and since he went to Cleveland, i'd say the Cavs have once again become a top destination for now. the weird thing is, with all the success the Spurs have had, you never really hear players publicly say that they'd like to play there. do you guys feel this way too or am i missing something?

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

^ I think that's mainly because they don't target many FAs. Most of their roster is built in house through the draft and they'll bring in one of the 50 Euros they have the rights to. Typically they're very calculated in their roster moves and don't make impulse buys at the deadline or when players hit the waiver wire. I think a very large portion of the league would give their left one to play for a constant contender, alongside TD, TP, and Manu, and for the great Pop. The opportunities just aren't there.

10. therealdeal

SA doesn't have strong spending power so they have to build through the draft and with small market buys like Danny Green.

They can't compete with huge deals offered on big name free agents.