Rui Hachimura Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Kobe Bryant 8, Jan 23, 2023.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

It would be great if the Lakers can re-sign Rui in the off-season for around the non-taxpayer MLE for around $12 mil/season but make it a 3 year deal so we retain bird rights in case he continues to improve and plays way above his contract.

That’s basically the Kuzma contract model as well, where it sounds like Kuz will be looking for a deal in the $20-25 mil range.

The other benefit if we can keep Rui for that price is I think the league’s cap should be exploding in a year or two when they re-negotiate a new TV deal. If that happens, the non-taxpayer MLE will start around $17-20 mil so Rui at $13 would be great value.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Well that clip was unimpressive and that’s not “work”. Not to his hero Kobe anyway. Come on kid shoot them with the pace and the way you’re going to have to in the game.

:KobePoint:

TIME likes this.
  3. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

They should not have posted that clip. It looks like me working out, except I am just a regular guy who is more than twice his age. Also, airballed a shot. :Westbrook Come Here2:

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Very nonchalant about it...

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

Lazy … probably 20lbs too heavy. ;) :D

gcclaker likes this.
  6. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I dunno if I see him signing in that MLE range. I think he might want around 18m.

7. LTLakerFan

You’re always on the a little too generous side like with Russ. :D

:Fishwink:

abeer3 likes this.
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

He might want that, but nobody is likely to give it to him. Not a lot of cap space to go around this summer, I can’t see Rui being high up on many teams lists. I would think 10-12 is reasonable for the player he has been to this point, at the MOST if he has a really good rest of the season 15 mil per.

lakerjones likes this.
  9. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

The cap is going up, and I don’t think the players are stupid, they’re gonna base contracts on percentages of that cap.

I’m fully expecting the 18m contracts of today to be the 25m contracts of tomorrow and maxes to be around 50-60m mark. While the MLE will be in the 11-12m range. So signing Rui at Russ to 10% of the tax apron next year would be a good deal over the next 2/3 years in my opinion.

abeer3 likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

assuming all goes well with rui (lots of games to observe), i expect a kuz type deal at a slight increase--kuz was 3/40, rui will be 3/50.

Barnstable likes this.
  11. karacha

If he plays well, that's a good contract. I think it's fair.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

13. LTLakerFan

So the ref gets a (demerit/slap on wrist) (LOL whatever that means in NBA) and LeBron, AD, Bev, Rui, Ham and whoever else will probably all get fines?

Kenzo likes this.
  14. karacha

^
    Basically, yes. That's how this works.

15. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I missed some of his minutes? How'd he do: would be nice to see if you can put him on Brown and Tatum instead of Troy or bev

KareemMagic45 likes this.
  16. KareemMagic45

KareemMagic45 Guest

"Hachimura -- -- They have him really just standing around offensively right now. It’ll take some time to integrate him into the schemes. For now, though, it is a lot of stand over there while a couple of other guys go to work. He missed some good looks at threes while doing that. He’d score a layup sealing Brown deep and getting a post entry from Russ. He’d have a reverse in transition off a feed from Lonnie. He’d dunk on a long outlet from AD at the end of the quarter, finishing with just 0.3 left. Defensively, he’s a bit of a deer in the headlights out there. He got lost a couple of times. He also got crossed over by Brown pretty badly. He’s got a lot of integrating with the team still and that’s going to take reps in practice and in games. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-8 shooting (0-4 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 assist and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a +6."

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. karacha

It's hard to say because he is obviously not very familiar with the play book. He was better in his first game with us, but we need to give him some time before reaching any sort of conclusion really. He's big and strong, and so he seems to fit the lineup. But he and AD are still coming off the bench and that probably changes the outlook as well. We'll have a better idea after, say, 10 games or so? His three did not fall, but then he often goes 0-4 in one game, then 3-6 in the other etc.

18. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Offensively, missed all his threes, overall looked a bit lost, as to be expected. I remember maybe one time he got the ball in the midrange area where he seems to like to have it, so he wasn’t put in any real positions to succeed. Defensively he is clearly a 4, he is not laterally quick at all, and should not be guarding guys like Tatum. He can at least put a hand up in those situations because he’s got the height and wingspan, but he’s going to struggle against quicker threes on the perimeter no question.

Khmrp likes this.
  19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

so lost on defense and his 3pt form is so ugly. slow n awkward motion

20. LTLakerFan

Why is this most basic of defensive principles lost on so many of these guys by the time they get to this level, to at least cut down passing intentions some helpful small fraction as opposed to having them down mostly? Watch Christie play D. Which comes second nature to him and why it’s just wrong to DNP him after all the good play he has shown game after game 19 years old rookie or not … plus FFS he’s hitting the 3 over 40% and is a smart player like Reaves. Randle used to defend here like that with his hands down too, staring at his man intently though. :clap: Used to drive me crazy.

abeer3 likes this.