Troy Brown Jr Discussion: TWolf

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 30, 2022.

1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

We joke about him being this season's Ariza but he's really been that. His return from injury has settled the rotations some and he's a better wing option than JTA (JTA does more big man things than wing things imo).

abeer3, Pioneer10, DeeZee and 4 others like this.
  2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

10, 6, and 8 rebounds in the last 3. He's nearly doubled his career average in RPG in this small season sample. Not sure if he can sustain that, but given that we aren't a very good rebounding team, that addition is huge as a starter.

3. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

Troy was the 15th pick of the 2018 draft, so the talent level is there. Lonnie was the 18th pick in the same draft. Sometimes these kids just need a fresh start in a different situation.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He's good. Liked his physical profile from the jump.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

So if we find a way to hang onto these two guys with cap space after Russ is gone and not take on salary to get it done (just as a for instance) (say they both thrive here this year and want to stay with friendly deals) we just picked up the equivalent of two well scouted by our people mid first round picks that don't have to be waited on to be ready and are just entering their primes. Along with Reaves and Christie. If we're smart (zero guarantee) and starting to accumulate and hold onto young talent for continuity.

svtzr, lakerjones and abeer3 like this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I have no faith in our ability to hold on to rentals. They're going to take the bag and thank us on their way out OR we eat into our precious cap space to match the overpay for them. Enjoy them this year and don't buy a Lakers jersey with their name on it would be my recommendation.

7. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah they won’t be here next season. That’s the result of building rosters this way, if they suck, we suck, and won’t want them back anyway. If they play great, they’ll get paid elsewhere. You have to build continuity like we did signing guys what they’re worth like KCP, or hoping draft guys develop like Kuz.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

everyone knows i hate this team building philosophy too (i like the clippers'). that said, every success story breeds another talented player who will take less to play for us. we got lonnie and brown because of monk. and we'll get the next lonnie and brown because of them. the key is to not have to rely on those as your third-best player every year. if they're you're 7th best player, you're good!

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

My issue is this: yes, that gives you a good player for a year that does nothing for your team or organization. No continuity or chemistry. You're developing them for the next team. We have a great development staff, they need to be earning checks from other teams as well because that's who's benefitting from their hard work. Teams of mercenaries do not win or even come in second. The ONLY exceptions to this were Bron teams in Miami and Cleveland when he was at the height of his powers. We're 4-5 years removed from that Bron and Rob is too f***ing dumb to realize this.

abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  10. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

It's the LeBron effect.
    Nonetheless, I think it's time and this year a good opportunity to build some continuity and building blocks to the future.

After Russ fiasco there was a big shift on LeBron's power in making decisions and we saw at the deadline last year, choosing the head coach this year and how we've handled Russ so far.

So there's some hope we start signing this type of guys

TIME likes this.
  11. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

We need to get some continuity happening. Personally I’d like to keep Lonnie, Troy, Nunn, Reaves and Bryant.

karacha, TIME and abeer3 like this.
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Unfortunately we will be Caruso’d over and over again come free agency

Khmrp and sirronstuff like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

feel like you missed my point? having a rotating player or two at low cost coming here for career rehab is a good thing, as long as your other top 5-6 players have some continuity. we have full roster turnover every year at this point, which is awful.

we have cap space and shouldn't get caruso'd again--unless we trade russ for big salary or something. reaves should be here; he's restricted. if lonnie keeps this up, he'll be hard to keep. we have a better shot there than with monk, though, due to the cap space and/or the fact that lonnie's not making the absolute minimum.

nunn's having a down year so far. if that continues, we can probably keep him at a lower cost like we did after kcp had a down year, then we'll have his full bird rights going forward should he recover and play well (like kcp did).

as always, long season ahead and a lot of it will sort itself out. in the end, it would be nice to return at least half the rotation next year.

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    I'm ready to keep some players and have someone to root for I give a crap about. It seems like most fans:

• dis leBone for narcissism, limited game, age, pounding the ball, turnovers, careless step back 3's etc
    • dis AD for being fragile and can't shoot the 3
    • dis RW for shot selection, turnovers, attitude
    • dis PatBev for looking like a homeless guy, acting tough but having no game, talking too much, thinking he's a privilege to play with
    • and then we get down to players we have had for less than 2 years and really have very little Laker history.
    I think the office is done kowtowing to Klutch and leBone after terrible recommendations, so I am encouraged by what I see with Rob. We'll have to see how it plays out though.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

maybe most fans on this forum, but not even that, really.

i think most know that lebron and AD are top talents and better than most other teams' best players.

i think russ did a lot to deserve the fan backlash, but is trying to work out of that now.

bevs is the annual "ehhh....i gotta root for this guy?" to me.

so, i find this team pretty easy to root for so far. i wish the results were a little better, obviously.

16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    we do have Quota Bros, so there's that.

[​IMG]

abeer3 and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

BUMP. Why is Troy midway almost down page 2? Odd that he doesn’t get more props than he does around here. I like him. Played the most minutes of anyone last night against Nets with 36 to AD’s 34 chipping in with 9 points. If Ham didn’t like what he brings out there both sides of the ball he wouldn’t be starting and getting those kinds of minutes.

Cookie, abeer3 and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He has good utility. Idk if he's a starter, but I do like his utility. He's been a nice find.

abeer3, lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i haven't been able to watch many games since he's been available, but the bit that i have pleased me quite a bit. he's rotation quality.

just need to find ways to keep him and the other bright spots around for next year.

JSM, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

Bump. Plays too well to have to languish on page 2. Just was checking to see who’d slipped out of sight.

:)

Cookie and abeer3 like this.