Stanley Johnson Discussion: Two Year Deal!

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by JSM, Dec 25, 2021.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    is he past his drug problems?

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I also don't think people are freaking out. But as @abeer3 notes, our competitors probably wouldn't hesitate to spend that 15 million to improve the team. To go all in to bring in three stars then let 15 mil stand in the way of potentially helping the team makes little sense to me particularly with all the money, glory, etc that comes with a playoff run.

I also agree with @Weezy 's point about Caruso. Our team loves stars but falls short at times with guys who are solid and could be really useful.

We go as far as LeBron, AD, and Russ can take us. We all know that.

But on a team that has struggled defensively all year, guys like Stanley can definitely be useful and contribute. He's already shown it.

Cookie, TIME, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  3. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

I'm not going to freak out, but it will be one of those heavy "sigh" moments as I read a twitter notification from Woj/Sham that the Bulls picked up SJ (again).

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

right, and my guess is that when buyout season comes, gs's front office won't be chumming the media waters with "actually, picking up robert covington REALLY costs us 18 million dollars". they'll just do it.

5. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student

Seems that Pincus doesn’t see this as penny pinching…

That’s my main point, aside from the money that would have to be eaten if we signed SJ but later had to cut someone to open up another roster spot (we can agree to disagree on whether ~$15 million is negligible or not), the main thing is just roster flexibility.

If the primary drawback to going for the two 10-day contract route is just that we won’t have SJ available for a game against the Kings and that’s a big concern… then all hope is lost anyways.

I know nobody here has been “freaking out” and some of the comments have been tongue in cheek, but still feels that the anxiety in the fanbase about possibly losing Stanley Johnson is extreme relative to the stakes. Also, often the takes expressed here are amplified and more extreme on other social media, so TBH it’s probably Reddit where I’ve sensed more of a hysterical freakout over SJ.

I also don’t get why Caruso keeps getting brought up. We all agree that was a bad move. But at this point it has nothing to do with how we maneuver around SJ’s contract. If Rob’s thought process was “Man I really think we’d benefit from roster flexibility but let’s just lock up SJ right now so the fans still upset about Caruso don’t think we’re cheap”, I would be disappointed.

6. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

Outside of our big 3, we have 2 players making more than the minimum. I'm having an incredibly tough time picturing any worthwhile trade that has us bringing in more players than we send out. This "flexibility" of the open roster spot that Pincus mentions comes across as a fantasy smokescreen from the front office to be cheap. It may work out and we resign Stanley soon or I'm wrong and a trade develops where we need that open roster spot, but it's going to be a hard sell that this is anything but penny pinching.

Weezy, ElginTheGreat and Pioneer10 like this.
  7. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

THT's trade value is probably low right now and Nunn has been injured all season. So do we really have trade-able assets?

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. FrontOfJersey22

FrontOfJersey22 - Lakers All Star -

It’s insane to me that they didn’t worry about spending $45.6 million per season on ONE player who came with a laundry list of real questions regarding fit, but now have to worry about a small tax hit, in comparison, to fix the biggest problem(defense) that is preventing them from moving up in the standings.
    Yes, we may luck into pulling off a trade for Grant, which would relegate SJ to garbage minutes, but we may not. All in all, this is just the type of roster construction that only works if everything goes right and leaves zero wiggle room for even the smallest thing not to.

9. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    But Pincus isn’t part of the front office and he is incredibly cap-savvy. If the “flexibility” claims are just a smokescreen whereas it’s actually purely penny pinching, Pincus would see right through it.

10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Hmmm. I'd like to see him signed to evaluate him for the rest of the season.

I think he fills a need/fit.

Just get it done, please.

However that may be...

11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

This is exactly where I am with it. Just get it done.

lakerjones and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  12. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

SJ has a career gawd-awful FG%, running under 30% from 3 and .435 from 2. He's a defensive band-aid where we have a gaping hole right now. Not a long-term prospect. But it just spells out how badly we put together the roster this year in the middle tweener PF-SF area. I'm hopeful something better comes along in the buyout market that is, if we can even open a space. I'd be looking at waiving Deandre or even Bazemore.

13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yep.

I'm not advocating for him to start.

I do think he's a good 13-15th guy in the rotation, though.

That may be higher on this roster, though.

Lol.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  14. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Even if it’s for flexibility, you can’t tell me that they wouldn’t rather cut DAJ or Baze to keep SJ. But they won’t because on that end they are penny pinching.

And I understand financially why.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

What SJ brings is attitude. Right now that is what we need. Likely just me but I don't see us having a big three except in salary. It is a stretch to put AD in there with his lackluster play and Russ isn't even close to that.

16. ADKOBE

ADKOBE - Lakers 6th Man -

I miss Stanley Johnson already.

lakerjones and Pioneer10 like this.
  17. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    EVerybody allegedly asked about THT this offseason, but I would imagine that number is super low right now based on this season's results. But to be fair, we have set him up for failure a little bit. But also, true stars cannot be denied, and if he was going to be that, he'd find a way to contribute in his minutes more than he has this year. Or he'd be working feverishly in order to be able to. We aren't hearing crickets about that right now, but if you are 21, you have to be in the gym every day putting in the work.

18. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

Get him back on the roster ASAP: its' jarring going from a huge wing back to no guys like Bradley and Westbrook get bully balled by bigger dudes like Barnes.
    If you're going to play small you need to have big wings and Johnson is almost Lebron size.

JSM, Cookie, ElginTheGreat and 2 others like this.
  19. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

i'm going to be very pissed if they ended up trading rondo only to lose stanley too

Cookie likes this.
  20. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

This reminds of what the FO was thinking with Damian Jones last year. Yeah young guy who looked pretty good in his time with the Lakers but we can get something better and they ended up with Drummond who was a "better" player but a terrible fit. Now since then Jones has found a place on the roster.

Young guys who are big, athletic, and willing to do the dirty work can blossom if they find the right situation and I hate to see an opportunity like Jones go away again based on past performances when these young guys had different expectation and roles