So How Are The Superstar Rookies Taken Above Julius Randle Doing So Far?

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LTLakerFan, Oct 10, 2014.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

The ones that are playing? If you've caught any news or seen pre-season games?

Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, Exum and Smart?

Anyone taken after him you would rather have now, if looking (hoping) for at least a 1B alpha dog star?

2. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

"Wiggins finished with a game-high 18 points (4-11 FG, 2-2 3Pt, 8-10 FT), four rebounds, three assists, one steal and three blocks in 32 minutes Tuesday against the Pacers.

Spin: He got the start at small forward in his first preseason game, and put together a very impressive performance. Coach Flip Saunders said he was surprised by how good Wiggins looked in his first NBA action, but it's not a surprising stat line given the fact that he led the team in minutes. It must be remembered that Kevin Martin (groin) was held out of action, but if Wiggins can carve out a role where he sees 30-plus minutes per game in his rookie season, he'll need to be drastically moved up draft boards. Unlike most rookies, his true value comes from the fact that he should be a force right away in steals and blocks, as was evident Tuesday. It was also very encouraging to see him hit both three-point attempts and get to the free-throw line 10 times."

3. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Smart had one pretty awful game and one good one.

4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Apparently Smart's first game was terrible, I think I saw that he went 0-8 or 1-8 shooting, but then the next game against the Knicks played a lot better and showed no hesitation in his jumper which he shot really well that game.

As for the other guys taken ahead of Randle I don't know I haven't watched or heard anything.

5. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

Randle fits the best alongside Kobe, so I think I'm glad we got him.

Only people I would have taken before him would be Wiggins or Parker. But I think we're going to be very happy with Randle.

Wiggins looks like he's going to be special. From what I've seen of Parker, not as much. At best, a Melo-like player that can score but not defend. Exum, Smart and Gordon could all be busts, they haven't shown much.

6. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Paker has looked pretty darn good from the little i've seen in preseason highlights and stats.

7. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

Just watched the Jazz beat the Clips and watched Exum play in the second half. He's going to be good. He's too talented not to be. Hit at least one 3, I think 2 and aggressively penetrated and dished drawing multiple defenders. He had a lot of energy on defense too. But he also made 3 or 4 mistakes and turned the ball over a couple of times. It's going to take him some time to really hone his skills. He's also a twig... Looks Reggie Miller slim but that never slowed Reggie down and probably won't Exum. Looks like a competitor out there. Randle should be more of an impact player for us much sooner though.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

Dat alley oop!

fabulus likes this.
  9. LTLakerFan

Yeah I just looked at box score and came to say he had 8 turnovers. Am happy with Randle and Clarkson package, instead. More bang for the buck. Literally with Randle.....[​IMG]

I wonder how Exum's and Clarkson's "combine" scores in various areas compared? Will have to go look. If anyone knows .... feel free.

Well here is the chart link below. Clarkson more vertical, lane agility virtually even and Exum a little quicker on the sprints. We did good for near last in 2nd round player chosen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-athleticism-test-results-1

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    fabulus likes this.
  10. LTLakerFan

You know.... watch his little "jukes" right before he tosses the lob. I'm going to go out on a limb and from this one little clip...... say that Clarkson's are little quicker, cover more side to side area and are considerably "better" right now. Am I being a homer here? Maybe another clip of Dante would make me rethink that but that is one area of Clarkson's game I have been very impressed with to go along with his pretty good handles.

11. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

Marcus Smart had 11 points on 3-8 shooting 3 dimes and 6 TOs in a 3-point loss to the Raptors. But he did show heart for what its worth:

Aaron Gordon had 15 points and 9 rebounds today and one really sick dunk:

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I really hate Smart's mechanics.

13. LTLakerFan

Color me not that impressed with Exum YET. I know this is because he is 19 and was in high school last year. Glad that we have Randle instead....and for a quicker contribution, maybe we get more out of 3 years seasoned in college, 3 years older (but still young) Jordan Clarkson. Exum likely catches up quickly and turns out to be better player, but this first year or two.... happy it turned out the way it did.

14. therealdeal

Exum has some talent. I wasn't blown away by him, but I definitely see the potential there. He looks like a bit more of a project than Julius, but I still see it.

15. LTLakerFan

He sure talked a big game about wanting to play with Kobe and "Be Like Kobe"..... but he should have started by going back and looking at Kobe's body from "his" workouts at 18 years of age, his 1st season out of high school.

16. Perdurabo

Perdurabo - Rookie -

Wiggins and Exum really look like stars in the making. It will take a few years, but they're going to be great.

Unfortunately for Randle, Wiggins has the green light in Minny, so he'll probably put up ROY numbers this year. Randle will have to really impress Byron to get enough minutes to compete with that.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think Randle coming off the bench as a positive for him.

Coming in, I felt a little bit of an ego from Randle, nothing worth noting, but more of a, silver spoon type of attitude, being nationally ranked and all. That was quickly shot down by Kobe and Byron. Instead of being given the greenlight straight away, he's going to learn true work ethic. He's going to learn that not everything is going to be given to him, not everything is going to be easy. He's going to have to work on his conditioning, play more in control, and improve on facets of his game. Having guys like Boozer and Kobe will teach how to be a professional, and stay humble, always work for it.

18. therealdeal

For sure all of these things will ultimately help Randle's development, but it definitely hurts him in the ROY race. He simply won't get the opportunities that Wiggins, Noel, and Parker are going to get.

19. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Smart appears to have great passing skills (Stockton, Nash) but still can't hit a jumper consistently to save his life. I know, its early in his career but so far, liking the upside of someone like Randle over Smart given the makeup of this team.

20. LTLakerFan

It's looking like Jeremy's got a nice one.

BadCoaching likes this.