Russell Westbrick Discussion: Clipper Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 29, 2021.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

I had a thought that the Lebron/AD/Westbrook trio is going to be comparable to the Heat Lebron/Wade/Bosh trio.

Key difference being AD is much better than Bosh, and Lebron/Westbrook are at the end of their primes instead of right in their prime.

Because of this, I do think it’s possible just to fill out the roster with deadeye 3 point shooters. I don’t think it’s possible for the Lakers to do that as well we th Heat did (Battier/Mike Miller/Ray Allen/Chalmers)… but that’s definitely the blueprint to make this work.

If AD can agree to play most of his minutes at center, it solves a lot of problems too because then we just focus on 3 and D perimeter players. If AD can’t agree to that, it causes challenges because now we would also need to look for a athletic big man or a stretch big man to play center as well.

2. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

New sig.... yay, nay? It's small, but I could work on it some more. I'd like to have our big 3 in the signature.
    [​IMG]

3. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    Just saw the news thought I'd drop a few thoughts since everyone else is :)

I love getting Russ. The dude only knows how to play one way and is relentless on the attack. We have been complaining about passive guys who can't get in the paint, wont take the shot and cant keep the team moving without Bron or AD in the game. Well, Russ is and has been that guy. No fear. No F's to give. Just attack. Kobe mentality for sure. But that isn't just it, this dude is a walking triple-double. He will make AD's life better. He will make Brons life better. AND, the dude rebounds. So in short I am on board the Russ train.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    very small

5. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, it's small. How about this play, AD is included as well?

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Was thinking the same thing last night when I wondered for half a second if LeBron had played in a trio this talented before and immediately remembered Miami, duh. But Wade wasn’t a good shooter either, he shot like 26%-28% from 3 while LeBron was there, Russ is better than that by a little at least. So yeah it’s a comparable trio to me, AD is better than Bosh when healthy as well.

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I think he's excited.

8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I was researching gif possibilities and ran across this old gem lol

[​IMG]

9. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

KB24 you are actually upset about trading Kuz and KCP for Westbrook? To me they and Trez just do not add up to anything I am worried about losing in terms of talent in this case. Kuz did nothing in the playoffs 2 years running and his shooting has not been great. KCP is as streaky as can be. I’ll miss his D more than his offense. Trez had great hustle but couldn’t play when it mattered. Westbrook is a HOF player with relentless competitive drive. I’m looking forward to his fire immensely.

Toneloc, IE Lakers, Slick2021 and 4 others like this.
  10. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Well, for all you guys who hate this move, where are you going to be when we win our next ring?? I like the move but not ecstatic. Have a wait and see attitude, could be great, you all could be right and the spacing will suck.

The ONLY things I have real faith in are that Pelinka will fill this roster out and you all will be singing his praises and Lebron will do his best to make this work and figure it out.

Even with those, always a chance it won't work but I still like our odds. If we sink, I will admit my hopes may have been misguided. On the other side of this, if the NETS are 100% healthy, we are going to have problems anyhow. Anyone who beats them at 100% health will have to be dang good.

11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    it’s like Doc Buss is alive right? Go big or go home:LLLLLebronlaughing:Jeannie is just like her father:Rondonod:

12. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

I've love to see how much he could influence Talen and Alex...make em nasty!!!

LTLakerFan, IE Lakers and JSM like this.
  14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Alex is already nasty. It's just that he looks like he'd rather talk about the new garage door he got.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i could argue that current russ is as good as prime wade (i was never a wade fan, tbh, for several reasons).

but current lebron isn't that lebron.

and you're right that bosh playing center made the most important things happen for them. but they still had haslem and joel anthony to just eat up some time grinding the big dudes (this doesn't feel right).

this wasn't the trade i would have hoped for. but neither was the hield trade. we weren't in position to make a trade for a prime star (no problem, we have two superstars) and weren't going to be. management chose the home run swing, and i can understand that. i'm glad that at least the contract only goes two years in case things go south. and we only gave up a late first, a guy we benched in the playoffs, and two guys this forum basically just complained incessantly about for years.

hell, i defended all three of those guys against criticism all year, and even i'm ok with moving them if only so i can stop having to do that!

i agree that westbrook isn't a fit. but i also believed that we didn't need a pg when we had lebron. lebron himself obviously disagrees, and i just have to live with that. much like AD doesn't think he's a center when he MOST CERTAINLY IS.

this deal is a good compromise between what makes the stars happy and what makes the fans happy.

also, it's great for the brand, which again, is super important here. this is another hofer who's going to have played in our uniform. it seems silly, but to me, this helps perpetuate the success. i think rob and jeannie really get that, even when it forces them to do some head-scratching stuff.

Cookie, TIME, IE Lakers and 7 others like this.
  16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Late to the party, loving this trade. Shooting was not our downfall last season. A secondary playmaker was obviously a much higher priority. Westbrook will keep us in games when Lebron sits, and preserve Lebron's legs for the playoffs. Now, someone like CP3 would have addressed both the shooting and playmaking, but realistically, there weren't better options out there. Hopefully we can work a S&T with Schroder and fetch Hield.

17. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Pretty much agree with this, also I haven’t looked at anyone else’s contracts on the team but after this season he’s essentially a huge expiring if it doesn’t work out and if he sees out his contract here it runs out at the same time as Doncic, if he becomes an UFA.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I do disagree with the idea that Westbrook isn't a fit. Is he a perfect fit? No, but he is a fit. The Lakers needed two things going into this offseason. Shooting and a player who can handle the offense/playmaking outside of the Lebron. Westbrook fits the latter.

Westbrook isn't going to automatically fixes our team, but the move shouldn't be judged by itself. Many will grade it since we have to wait a few days, but the rest of the roster construction is just as important. I like to think shooting is easier to find than a legit playmaker like Westbrook. Us Laker fans know from last year Bron/AD injuries that we needed another legit player. A player like Hield is great next to Bron and AD, but what happens if Bron has to sit out? At least with Westbrook you know he can keep us afloat.

alam1108, JSM, abeer3 and 7 others like this.
  19. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Phil Handy might be licking his chops what he can do with Brodie...

20. IE Lakers

IE Lakers - Lakers 6th Man -

That last sentence of yours is something surprisingly few people are bringing up. I’m extremely confident this is gonna happen.