Russell Westbrick Discussion: Clipper Gonna Clip

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jul 29, 2021.

1. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Here's that portion of the article

Blaming Vogel for Russ being inflexible is a joke. Should've brought on the Russ whisperer as an assistant instead of being cheap. Running it back is not going to work, I don't care what coach comes through that door.

Phil being a Russ fan is interesting. Talk about the worst triangle fit EVER.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yep.

Him coming back is a real possibility.

sirronstuff and ElginTheGreat like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i mean, if we can't move him for a reasonable return, it might be the most sensible thing. it would suck, short-term, and i strongly disagree that another coach is likely to fix things with respect to russ, but his contract becomes more enticing as teams give up on their seasons, which is hard to do in the summer.

the best return on his expiring will be in february. i just have a hard time believing we can stomach that wait and what it might do to the season.

5. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

It will be interesting to see who the final candidates are going to be. If Lebron and AD play together in 25% of the games again this season tho, it's a wrap regardless. Gotta catch a break on the injury front here soon, or we might have to blow it all up. I see reports about Lebron leaning towards 1 year deals...I guess we'll see on that subject over the summer.

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

For the love of God

7. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Vogel was given an impossible task. It's not all on Vogel to fit a square peg into a round hole, Westbrook had to change up his game to fit with Lebron and AD, which he didn't. Despite the bad play from Westbrook, Vogel didn't throw him under the bus, actually the opposite happened

8. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

Yea it was Vogel's fault that Westbrook blew layups, bricked jumpshots, and put no effort on defense. *rolls eyes*

Juronimo, lakerjones, Cookie and 6 others like this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

The level of sensitivity from the Russ household. Jesus!

lakerjones, shoe, sirronstuff and 5 others like this.
  10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    That's all right. I'm not talking to Russ for ruining my experience of watching the Lakers last year.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Laugh:

:THT Heart Hands:

Juronimo, lakerjones and TIME like this.
  12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

The HoopsHype guys had this to say in their off- season team rumor piece for Charlotte.

GH's trade market (they lead into this anticipating Bridges will command $25m a year)
    Boone misses the point of getting Russ. It's for the expiring salary not the player.

13. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

Even for the salary, you have to think about the impact on the team and on your best player. Or are they tanking? They will max out Bridges to then tank? They can make the playoffs through play-in in the East, they don't seem to be in a position to tank with their 2 stars getting to their prime.
    Only way is that Borrego or their GM have this crazy idea that Russ and LaMelo could work together and that it would be good for LaMelo to learn from Russ (lol) during a year, as they have a similar game.
    Other way is that they have a masterplan to attack Free Agency in '23, which could make sense. They have shown great depth this year, so they could be willing to lose Rozier and Gordon without having to get someone else for those positions. That way, they would develop some players and add a 3rd star next year. Hope they read this lol

sirronstuff, Cookie and Pioneer10 like this.
  14. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I agree with your argument though: look both Bridges and Ball are excellent players but I don't think they're going to be guys like Giannis or Luka who are good enough to be contenders just by themselves and some contemporary. Better for them to get more high picks and be more like Memphis. Both the dudes are on rookie deals so you still have time build up the team w/o risk of losing either

15. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 - Lakers All Star -

I'm of the opinion the Lakers would have won more with DJ augustine was there the whole season than Wesbtrook so I agree that they would win more games with Conley.
    That being said Conley is 34, has had several injuries throughout his career, and is coming off an absolutely terrible playoff series. Dallas isn't a bad defensive team but they aren't some Bad Boy Pistons either and he was terrible on both offense and defense. So cooked for me is paying 24 million for 2 more years for a guy who is at best a backup PG in the playoffs.

Ends up being the same amount of money for the same amount of uselessness give or take

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    lakerjones, abeer3 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  16. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

As Trevor Lane said in one of his videos today, this is likely spin from the Lakers to make him not look like such a terrible asset. The idea that any GM would fall for it is funny, but the idea is that if we are putting it out there that we must move on from Russ at all costs we will get fleeced in any trade. If we put it out there that he had a bad year because of Vogel and he’s still a good player, so good that we may even KEEP him, well I guess we sound less desperate or something. It’s silly, but then that’s how the NBA works, everyone has an agenda, stories are always being put out to push those agendas, you can take almost nothing at face value. If this report is true though, well then obviously I blame Kurt Rambis.

ElginTheGreat, 432J, Cookie and 6 others like this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

dallas was a good defensive team this year. and i get your point, but if we got conley for russ with no other salary commitments and giving up no picks, that's a huge win.

ElginTheGreat and TIME like this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Something is not adding up to me about the Amick and O'Ram article.

They are saying that Frank was the a big part of the problem with Russ, correct?

I was listening to Ireland who is close to the team. He said that Vogel would defend Westbrook; there were assistants that urged Frank to bring Russ off the bench, but Frank wouldn't do it.

Ireland claimed Frank would say something to the effect of, "if we want to win a championship, we have to keep Russ in the starting five and try to get him back to like MVP Russ."

It seems like the Lakers are attempting to prepare us for Russ returning, which is possible, but I still think they are trying to leverage their position as much as they can before they attempt to ship him off this summer.

Idk if it will work or not. Just my .02 cents.

19. NickthaQuick

NickthaQuick - Lakers 6th Man -

Frank was suppose to just give Russ the ball and have him run wild. He needs the ball every possession to have value. There is a false narrative that Lebron had him spotting up in a corner when in actuality he had the ball the most out of everyone on the roster. He was just brutally inefficient with the ball.

[​IMG]

RasAlgethi, TIME, Pioneer10 and 5 others like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

This. And I remembered thinking too WTF when I read that basically Frank was being Frank …. a players’ coach (again) and sticking with the supremely struggling player that Russ was this year …. knowing that he needed Russ to get back to some level of himself for the Lakers to have any chance at a ring. But Russ in his defensive self unaware bubble doesn’t even recognize that reality.